Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm

+7
KatieB
Sparky
Dotdot
Happy Hoppers
FarplaceRescue
icedancer
Thumper2001
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm Empty What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Maybe Bruce hasn't forgiven me, maybe he is feeling sorry for himself. Sad

I was watching him eat yesterday and thought something didn't seem right and had that same thought again this evening - he seems to be taking extra long and favouring one side of his face. I thought he also seemed uncomfortable so gave him a check over. He was wet all down his cheek and it looked as if it was dribble coming from the corner of his mouth. I have seen some mini poos around as well so have given him a dose of metacam just in case that it is due to stress when I was away. He does seem to be moving bit more freely now but I am generally slightly worried. I will take him to the vets tomorrow to get his mouth checked out, but he only had a dental about 4 weeks ago so spurs seem unlikely and he never normally dribbles with them. He does drink from a water bowl but he doesn't normally get wet using it. So I am wondering what other things I should be asking them to check for as the rabbit vet won't be working tomorrow.

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm Empty Re: What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Sorry Cheryl, I really don't know.

I hope it's nothing serious and that someone else can help you.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm Empty Re: What causes dribbling? U/D Friday 3pm

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:20 am

Vets appointment at 4.45pm.

For the second morning in a row not all the veg has been eaten and most worryingly not all the beetroot (they only get a tiny amount) has been eaten and Bruce is a real beetroot fiend! He was dry first thing but after breakfast there was a little wetness in the corner of his mouth again. He seems quite chirpy though - he has even had a little dance in the garden with Flo (vid to follow). And he still wants to eat, he is chomping on old lavender stalks as I type.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

I hope its nothing too serious.

I love your new avatar pic by the way Love
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 am

icedancer wrote:I hope its nothing too serious.

I love your new avatar pic by the way Love

Thank you. It was taken a while ago. It is my favourite pic of Flo.

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am

If it is not dental issues, it could perhaps be a sore tongue, ulcer, or even a bit of food stuck between 2 teeth.
Eye/ tear duct problems occasionally cause dribbling, but not before other symptoms are obvious, so I can't see it being that.
Even though its so soon after the last dental, I would suspect that this is the primary suspect.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I suspect whatever it is will be related to his teeth in some way, it may not be actual spurs but a secondary issue. It could even be occuring in the roots rather than the teeth themselves. Make sure the vet has a good feel around his neck, cheekbone and jaw line.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Hope all goes well at the vets.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm

He had an xray when he had the dental and there is some concern about the future root growth of his bottom incisors but I don't think that we are expecting it so soon. His other teeth are ok. I wonder if he has damaged himself chewing something he shouldn't have. He seems keen to eat hay and veg but is not keen on having harder to chew things such as pellets and the vetcare plus sticks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

How did the get trip go Cheryl?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:29 pm

We've just got back. Luckily Marianne the rabbit vet was there despite it not being one of her days. She was surprised about the dribbling. She tried to take a good look in his mouth but he wasn't very helpful. First he munched away, then he put his tongue over the end of the device, then he clamped it between his teeth so Marianne could not move it. But she did get a look and couldn't see any obvious problems. She gave him a good exam checking his tummy and respiratory system and took his temperature. All with no answer. She has suggested he is in some sort of pain and to give him Metacam for a couple of days and if he is not better on Friday to bring him back in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

What a little monkey he is Laughing

Maybe he bit his tongue somewhere she couldn't see or something like that? scratch

I hope the metacam works and there's no need for a vet trip on Friday!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:00 pm

We're awkward creatures, aren't we? Wink

I hope the Metacam helps and it clears up in a couple of days Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 pm

It is bloody difficult to get a good look in their mouths. I have an otoscope but rarely have any success using it to be honest. Hope the Metacam helps things.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 am

How's Bruce this morning?

They are so uncooperative sometimes!!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 am

Hey hun,

How is the little guy doing?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:58 am

Hope he feels better soon xx
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 am

Haha what an awkward little angel.

'You want a look in my mouth? Here you go, oh no you missed it. Ok, here you go, oh no! You missed it.' Laughing
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 pm

He is still dribbling. I contacted Ros to ask her whether she thinks it could be E.C. but she says she thinks the vet is right about the pain and suggested maybe he has a nasal infection or cyst or something like that. It is the little occasional limp he was doing that made me wonder about E.C. - although it is front end rather than back. He is bright enough but it worries me because I know something is just not right. I will be back to the vets tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Poor Bruce Sad

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:He had an xray when he had the dental and there is some concern about the future root growth of his bottom incisors but I don't think that we are expecting it so soon. His other teeth are ok. I wonder if he has damaged himself chewing something he shouldn't have. He seems keen to eat hay and veg but is not keen on having harder to chew things such as pellets and the vetcare plus sticks.

This sounds plausable, and I think he may need another X Ray if you don't get a conclusive answer tomorrow. Hope it goes ok for him (and you)

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Good luck tomorrow, Bruce Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Good luck tomorrow Bruce! I hope it isn't anything serious! Hugs
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Everything crossed for Bruce tomorrow
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:41 pm

I gave him his metacam about and hour before pellets this evening and he has eaten without so much visible discomfort but he still dribbled. I know this because I washed his dribbly bits and then dried his face off with the hairdryer. I am a very norty bunmum again! But it was the only way to tell how much he is dribbling. There have been quite a lot of mini poos around the place again.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Good Luck for tomorrow hun, will be thnking of you both x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next