Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stringy poos

+2
Tuckerbunnies
Dotdot
6 posters

Go down

Stringy poos Empty Stringy poos

Post by Dotdot Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it's often due to moulting (which seems to be all the time with Jeeves) we get about 3 poos strung together.

Other than fresh pineapple, what can help break the fur build up inside?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Stringy poos Empty Re: Stringy poos

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:59 pm

You could try a probiotic. My vet has a theory that the buns should be able to cope with the moult fur and it is not the fur that is the problem but an underlying issue in the stomach which shows itself at moult time. You could try a daily pro-biotic like pro c daily and then upgrade to a vet strength one like bio-lapis during peak moult.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm

That's really interesting.
He isn't a typical 'hairy' bun, but my god does he moult.
We don't get it too often at the moment luckily and theres never more than 3 in a row.
Thanks for the advice I'll be getting some pro-c Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 pm

We just give them a little pineapple juice and it usually works Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:We just give them a little pineapple juice and it usually works Smile

May I ask what sort of pineapple juice you use Maysie? I usually buy fresh pineapple but it goes out of date so quick.
Cartons? Bottles? Fresh?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunlover Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm

You can also buy papaya this too supposedly works. I use pinnapple n it seems to sort my buns out tho I have read information that the enzyme that helps break down the fur doesn't work in the acidity of the stomach so its all an urban myth as such, I still use it tho for my dbl mane lionhead she's a terrible moulty bun Smile x

bunlover
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 am

Dotdot wrote:May I ask what sort of pineapple juice you use Maysie? I usually buy fresh pineapple but it goes out of date so quick.
Cartons? Bottles? Fresh?

I'm not Maysie, Smile but I'll share what I do. We buy the single serving pineapple cups that they make for people to take in their lunches. It is shelf stable so you can always have it on hand when you need it. Here in the USA Dole makes the little cups of pineapple tidbits in their own juice. We give ours the pineapple and the juice. The big cans of pineapple are expensive here and the price of quality fresh ones is exorbitant if you can even find one.

I think you can get papaya that way too but none of our bunns has ever liked it.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that as long as they eat lots of hay this will help break down any fur in their belly! well that's what I've always done with Buttons and he has been having some epic moults lately and he hasn't seemed to have any blockages so I think as long as the roughage keeps working through them all is ok! Smile
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

You can buy Papaya tablets which a lot of people use.

Personally though, I am also of the opinion that a healthy rabbit is perfectly capable of passing fur through their system without it causing any untoward problems, only a rabbit with a slowing GI tract is likely to actually experience a build up on the scale of a trichobezoar.

Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

I've had no problems with him yet, I'll have had him a year in April. He's had no bouts of not eating and been pooing well even on the odd moments he's had a stringy poo. I don't get them every day and I can go weeks without them and even when I get them theres only a little hair in there and then the normal poos return. (Obviously I don't mean me personally) haha
I got some Pro-C the other day so I'll give that a go.

Last edited by Dotdot on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm

P.S

gentl wrote:
Dotdot wrote:May I ask what sort of pineapple juice you use Maysie? I usually buy fresh pineapple but it goes out of date so quick.
Cartons? Bottles? Fresh?

I'm not Maysie, Smile but I'll share what I do. We buy the single serving pineapple cups that they make for people to take in their lunches. It is shelf stable so you can always have it on hand when you need it. Here in the USA Dole makes the little cups of pineapple tidbits in their own juice. We give ours the pineapple and the juice. The big cans of pineapple are expensive here and the price of quality fresh ones is exorbitant if you can even find one.

I think you can get papaya that way too but none of our bunns has ever liked it.

I was under the impression that the pineapple and Juice had to be fresh and not concentrated?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down