Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I doing the right thing?

+5
NickieM
KatieB
woodwench
Velvet.Tears
icedancer
9 posters

Go down

Am I doing the right thing? Empty Am I doing the right thing?

Post by icedancer Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:20 am

Dougal, who was happily using a litter tray at the rescue, now isn't and its driving me mad. He wees in the house, but appears to be going out to the playpen specifically to do poos. I'm constantly cleaning them up and putting them into the litter tray, but so far he isn't getting the hint.

I've started locking them both up in the house overnight, to try and reduce the space they have to make him realise that's where the litter tray is. Is this the right thing to do? I feel so guilty for doing it, but tbh he spends most of his time in the house anyway laying down, he isn't exactly a duracel bunny. He only comes out for a lay down and to poo! He thought about going through the tunnel yesterday and scared himself No

Any tips would be good! Florence now has also started doing to, although not as bvadly, and hubby has started saying Dougal is a bad influence on her!! I seem to spend all evening saying "DOUGAL" or "FLORENCE" and going in with a dustpan, which Dougal is also scared of!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Am I doing the right thing? Empty Re: Am I doing the right thing?

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:21 am

Its a new environment for him it will take him time to adjust.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:46 am

Yes, it's a new enviroment and he needs to build his confidence. You say he's nervous of things (tunnel) well I think by leaving him in the house for a few days and getting him used to all the new smells, sounds and happenings indoors his confidence will grow and he will be easier to litter train. You're not being cruel shutting him the house... in fact you are being kind by reinforcing a sense of security.
Florence is experiencing having company indoors and she will perhaps be feeling a little unsure of things and maybe even a bit territorial, that's probably why she ingnoring her training. Give them time.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 am

Im sure this is a settling in thing, he will improve you just need to be patient hun x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 am

I agree with woodwench - shut them in during the day as well as night for a couple of days - it sounds tough but it will help them regain the litter training. There is no use in telling rabbits off for pooing - they just won't get it. As I said shut them in for a few days, keep putting any mistakes in the tray. If there are stray pees mop them up with kitchen rool and add it to the tray. Shutting them in will also help florence get over the eating hay from the litter tray thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 am

There is probably an element of exploring his environment and claiming it, then Florence comes along and claims it back. Cutting down their space for a couple of days so he can get used to all the new smells and sounds will help him settle and get back into the new routine.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 am

Hi i know im new but just another thought can you put some litter trays in the places that bunny is doing its toilet just until he settles then you cn gradually move tray were you want it to be. You might be spending a lot of time stepping over trays but i have done this before with cats and many years ago with a bunny.

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:23 pm

It's early days Carla give him time, it's all new and he is getting use to and marking his territory at the moment.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:31 pm

They are now both grounded after Dougal came out and done a pee on said rug!!

Fingers crossed that will readjust their litter habits Laughing Thanks everyone
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:44 pm

JOey was petrified of everything when he first moved in - dustpans, doorhandles, even peeling a banana freaked him out! Just needs some time to settle x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

troop wrote:Hi i know im new but just another thought can you put some litter trays in the places that bunny is doing its toilet just until he settles then you cn gradually move tray were you want it to be. You might be spending a lot of time stepping over trays but i have done this before with cats and many years ago with a bunny.

That's what I had to do with Buttons! He decided he wanted to go to the toilet in the middle of the lounge floor, so I put the litter tray there, and gradually moved it to where I wanted it!

And it probibly is quite a bit down to new environment and smells! Plus trying to mark his territory then Florence comes along!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum