Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch

+9
Jay
FarplaceRescue
Tuckerbunnies
Happy Hoppers
icedancer
woodwench
Father Jack
NickieM
Big Ears
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch - Page 1 Empty Re: Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:50 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Sooz it is not the same vaccine in the new joint vaccine - according to my vet it is a proper live vaccine and will provide better cover.

Well that I am glad to hear. The Nobivac injection has been deficient for too long now, a revised vaccine was well over due.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch - Page 1 Empty Re: Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch

Post by FarplaceRescue Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I emailed 2 local vet practices, asking how safe they believed this new duo vaccine will be.
One head of practice vet said this:
“my worry would be that when myxo and cylap (vhd) where launched there where a number of very ill rabbits when the two vaccines are used together. Think there will be use for it but not for high risk patients”

Another vet at a different practice said this:
"You are quick off the mark with this one. We have on order but not yet available. Should be available imminently. This vaccine should give 12 months protections for both HVD and Myxo so will improve the way we can keep rabbits vaccinated greatly. Should be available by the end of this month or beginning of next."

So one was saying OK used with caution, and the other was eagelly waiting for it.
Rolling Eyes
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 pm

I assume as the vaccine for myxi is now live the need to vaccinate bi-annually has been removed too?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Sooz wrote:I assume as the vaccine for myxi is now live the need to vaccinate bi-annually has been removed too?

Yes. It's just the one vaccination yearly with this new vaccine.

It's made with the live virus so should offer much better protection for Myxomatosis. It's designed so that the immune system recognises it as one threat it's mounting a response to, not two with it being a combined vaccine so isn't like having 2 jabs at once. (FHB explained it much better to me than I can repeat back Laughing )

There is concern because the data sheet suggests that rabbits vaccinated with a different vaccine previously 'might not' have a full immune response to the VHD part. Though this has been explained by those that understand these things that in Europe they have had the live vaccine previously and rabbits that have had that vaccine in the past may not mount a full response. However, the new vaccine won't recognise the antibodies from our previous vaccine as it was not the live virus, so UK rabbits should be fully protected. This is an issue causing a lot of concern at the moment and a lot of people want clarity before using the new vaccine.

So, the main concerns are:
It might not protect against VHD
There are possible side-effects (then there always was with the previous vaccines)
For health compromised bunnies that the combined vaccine would be too much and just the single myxo would be preferable.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:15 pm

So, by mounting a response to seemingly 'one' threat, does that mean that the immune response will be stronger or weaker? I mean as in, if the rabbit thinks VHD & Myxi are the same disease is it just producing one super antibody that fights both? (I appreciate you might not be able to answer this, don't worry Wink).
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Sooz wrote:So, by mounting a response to seemingly 'one' threat, does that mean that the immune response will be stronger or weaker? I mean as in, if the rabbit thinks VHD & Myxi are the same disease is it just producing one super antibody that fights both? (I appreciate you might not be able to answer this, don't worry Wink).

Not at the moment ... I do have a half hour appointment on Tuesday with someone who might though as 3 bunnies are having myxo vaccination.... it might take the whole half hour to get me to understand the answer though Hmmm Laughing

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 am

Laughing Well if you do manage to get an answer I'd be interested to hear it. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 am

I've asked the BVA for comments on this, will send these concerns over too.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Campaign to Keep Myxomatosis Vaccine after new vacc launch - Page 1 Empty Please sign the petition to stop discontinuation of Nobivac

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Topics Merged

The nobivac myxo vaccine is going to be discontinued when the new combined vaccine is released. This is unfair, particularly to those rabbits who cannot have the VHD vaccine for medical reasons. Please read, sign and share this petition with facebook friends and family.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-nobivac-myxomatosis-vaccine-available-after-launch.html
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I think its the same one Very Happy

I will get round to switching my laptop on and signing it. Been too busy moving furniture today Rolling Eyes
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Big Ears wrote:

There's been a lot of alarm from some information saying that the single vaccine will be no longer available immediately after the combined vaccine is fully rolled out. I believe the information is some that has been put out by the manufacturers that went out with "Rabbiting On" magazine.

This is where I heard it.

Have signed.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:42 pm

It is the same one.....matt and I have both signed it.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

I've signed again anyway Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 pm

It wouldnt let me sign again. I didnt know it had already been posted though, must have missed it. Noone has an excuse not to sign now though!! Wink
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Thumbs Up
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I have just signed love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next