Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice required please

5 posters

Go down

Advice required please Empty Advice required please

Post by Karen1980 Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:31 pm

As im sure many of you are aware I have a house bunny Milo.

Due to the fact Milo was always into everything we though he might want a friend for while we are at work.

I felt bad he might be lonely.

He is unlike Lily as when we are at home he is always bouncing around whereas she was content to sleep all day regardless of if we were there or not.

Now, Milo is not fantastically litter trained and we have got him a friend and he is worse now.

Im not sure what to do?!

I also have doubts about his friend, he still grooms me and she seems to want to be with him but not so much him with her.

We've had her for 2 weeks now and free rein they dont hang out much nor do they snuggle,

Ive caught them snuggled once or twice but its her that has initiated it.

He also seems alot quieter since she has arrived but she doesnt bully him so I dont understand?

I also dont have a name for her..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69803852@N02/6810376024/
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Advice required please Empty Re: Advice required please

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I think he needs some time hun.

Charlie and annie ignore each other most of the time but do have a snuggle every now and then, I wouldnt imagine for a second though that they didnt want the other around.

I think its expected that loo habits go out of the window initially as they will both be marking the territory as theirs.

I would give it all some time to settle down.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

The classic advice for litter training is reduce the space and reassert that they have to go in the tray.

This is also a good thing for the bond - they hopefully will become closer if they have to be physically closer together. But don't stress too much about there being no snuggles. It is still quite early days and it can take quite a long time for a bunny relationship to really gel. As long as they are not fighting I would not worry too much about them. Put yourself in Milo's shoes - he has had an excellent relationship with you and now this blimmin woman has come along and she has moved in to HIS HOUSE! and he is being ok about it but he is not really sure about her. Sure she is pretty but that doesn't really make up for the fact that she is on his bit of floor. He quite fancies her, but it is a bit of a shock her suddenly moving in like that. I think he will grow to be more attentive to her, but he needs time to decide she is more his type than you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:The classic advice for litter training is reduce the space and reassert that they have to go in the tray.

This is also a good thing for the bond - they hopefully will become closer if they have to be physically closer together. But don't stress too much about there being no snuggles. It is still quite early days and it can take quite a long time for a bunny relationship to really gel. As long as they are not fighting I would not worry too much about them. Put yourself in Milo's shoes - he has had an excellent relationship with you and now this blimmin woman has come along and she has moved in to HIS HOUSE! and he is being ok about it but he is not really sure about her. Sure she is pretty but that doesn't really make up for the fact that she is on his bit of floor. He quite fancies her, but it is a bit of a shock her suddenly moving in like that. I think he will grow to be more attentive to her, but he needs time to decide she is more his type than you are.

Thanks dont get me wrong I dont mind at all that he still grooms me I am just wondering if I did the right thing?

Many people have house buns on their own so am thinking maybe I should ahve left him on his own.

x
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I think if he thought that there would be fighting - if there isnt then he must be happy she is there. Just one of those slow burning relationships......
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:50 pm

I am sure he is happy because if he wasnt they would be fighting. Jelly and Peanut I thought at the time bonded very quick but actually just tolerated each other very quickly, but they became very much bonded in their own time.

I wouldnt worry about whether or not it was the right thing because essentially - they ARE bonded or they would be fighting, and you wouldnt split a couple - so if it was or wasnt the right choice, its essentially done now. (That sounds blunt and I dont mean it that way but you know what I mean! its better to just accept it than worry xx)

Secondly in my experience litter training ALWAYS goes out the window at first with new pairs!! at least in my experience they have.

stick with it, stop torturing yourself because you are a fab bunny mum x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks S-J, my point was that im not sure he'd be bothered if she moved out.

I dont really want to split them up but my priority will always be Milo's happiness I guess im just mulling over whether or not he's really happy
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 am

I should add that i dont mean that in a bad way but I got her for Milo not for me and if he isnt too bothered with her then I didnt do the right thing.

Crickey I dont even have a name for her she is just there with him, nice enough eating all the food in site
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:26 am

Florence was very litter trained before Dougal moved in, then it did stop. I reduced space and it has mainly stopped. I do still get the odd poo outside it but no wees.

Although my two did fall in love instantly, I've told her that she was a bit easy Laughing She saw him and that was that. Little tart Laughing

I'm sure once they settled down a bit they'll be fine Smile Don't beat yourself up about it
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:10 am

icedancer wrote:Florence was very litter trained before Dougal moved in, then it did stop. I reduced space and it has mainly stopped. I do still get the odd poo outside it but no wees.

Although my two did fall in love instantly, I've told her that she was a bit easy Laughing She saw him and that was that. Little tart Laughing

I'm sure once they settled down a bit they'll be fine Smile Don't beat yourself up about it
What do you mean by the bit in bold?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 am

You reduce the area that they have and they tend to improve their training.

I get random poops for the girl adn Milo has taken once again to peeing on my sofa.
Its like a horrid competition of theirs and I wonder if he is really happy or just living with her.

I wouldnt want to live with anyone I wasnt happy with.
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 pm

I took away the playpen Embarassed I felt really mean, but I didn't want the rug used for a toilet area, so I took advice from here. It only took two or three days and it stopped.

Now though when I hoover and let them back in it, Florence always poos in it. I don't know if she does it just to wind me up, but it works if it is that Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm

I think I'm going to have to do the same and lock them up in the cage. Sunday was really good but they ruined my living room carpet yesterday Embarassed actually ruined it Mad

I've taken all their hay away with the exception of what I put in the litter trays. I know they love hay so they'll have to go there to get it. So frustrating HBWS HBWS

Sorry Karen, hijacked your thread Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down