Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bum checks

+4
Velvet.Tears
icedancer
KatieB
Dotdot
8 posters

Go down

Bum checks Empty Bum checks

Post by Dotdot Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:18 pm

How often do you all manage to do bum checks on your buns, and do any of you really struggle doing it?

I tried to do one earlier because I introduced them to Rocket last night and it just didn't go very well.
Jeeves is usually ok to put onto his back if you do it slowly but I dont think I did it slow enough and he freaked out, he must have also watched Tigger struggle beforehand.

Tigger was the worst, no matter how tightly I held onto her she struggled. I got her on her back but she didn't calm down and kicked frantically I was so worried she was going to hurt herself. I can't even do it slowly because she won't tolerate being held even when I'm sat on the floor. She's a tough one to even take into the house because I can't grab her properly to put into the carry case, she's so hard to get in there. The bunny burrito won't work because she won't go on her back.

From what I briefly saw on both there were no dirty bottoms, but I felt so inadequate and had a good cry after Rolling Eyes

Any other tips people can give? I've read so much about techniques but nothing works Sad
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Bum checks Empty Re: Bum checks

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

i have this problem with daisy! He will not be picked up.

We have to make it a two man job, I hold him in the normal position and matt looks from underneath!!

Charlie and Annie are slightly better. well Charlie is.....Annie is starting to be a bit of a madam!

I do it every few days at the mo, but will need to think about doing it daily as it gets warmer :-(
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Dougal is fine, he isn't bothered by anything if it involves humans. Florence used to be fine, but now she acts like I am trying to kill her No Earlier when we had to clean her it took both of us, whereas in the past I've done her on my own.

She's turned into a little madam No
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 pm

icedancer wrote:Dougal is fine, he isn't bothered by anything if it involves humans. Florence used to be fine, but now she acts like I am trying to kill her No Earlier when we had to clean her it took both of us, whereas in the past I've done her on my own.

She's turned into a little madam No

Diva!! Laughing
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 pm

When I do mine I pick them up facing away from me and rest their back against my tummy and scoop their back legs up with my right hand cradling their bum and then peer down their tummy to check their bum. They don't seem to object to being held like this, they defo wouldn't go for the laying on my lap on their back position Laughing
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I'll have to try that Katie, sometimes I just resort to putting my hand under there and have a feel, so to speak Laughing. They tolerate that much more.

Carla, Tigger is the same, she used to be fine with it but now she acts like such a snob! I keep reminding her she used to be ok with it but she hasn't replied yet lol.

I'm not very good at explaining things but that is how I tried with Tigger, Vince. Put her back against my belly and cradled her bum- I was half asleep earlier so that's what I meant when I said I got her on her back Laughing Rolling Eyes. But in the past I have tried her on her back in the burrito but she wasn't having it. If you are slow enough and give him noserubs Jeeves will happily lay on his back I think the only reason he didn't earlier is because I wasn't slow enough as its usually the OH that does that bit. Daddy magic No

It makes me feel a lot better that others have the same problem, she just makes me feel so awful sometimes as if I'm a bad mummy
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

You're not a bad mummy! The bad mummy's are the ones that don't bother to do the bum checks Smile

Thumper was easy. She would just suck it up and let you do it. She didn't even bat an eye lid. These two are easy at the moment, they're that diddy you can just pick them up and have a peek.

I don't think Molly will put up with it when she's all grown up though Hmmm
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:50 am

We do bunny botty check's every day in the Summer when we put them out in the garden and bring them in and the boarding bunnies to. At the moment unless we can smell a dirty botty we check them every other day. It's one of the nicer jobs........not Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:You're not a bad mummy! The bad mummy's are the ones that don't bother to do the bum checks Smile

Thumper was easy. She would just suck it up and let you do it. She didn't even bat an eye lid. These two are easy at the moment, they're that diddy you can just pick them up and have a peek.

I don't think Molly will put up with it when she's all grown up though Hmmm

Thankyou Smile That makes me feel better.

Yes, from what you've said it sounds like Molly is going to be a bit of a madam Laughing
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I do daily bum checks once in morning and once in the evening.... they get graded. Binky was a B this morning and Pumpkin got an A LOL !!!!!!!

When I first started checking , it was a nightmare.. Im sure they can sense when we dont reek of confidence. I recall using a towel to wrap the bun in , trancing him holding him under one arm whilst peering at the other end.. It never went well and I always ended up being scratched.

I think they got so fed up with the towel fiasco that they decided to give in... I now pick them up and then hold their bottom in one had and grade
Laughing If there is an issue then I put them on my knee , in a tilted back position and deal with ' it' so to speak....

The seem ok about it now .. either I wore them into submission or they just got old and gave up the fight !

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down