Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supreme and alfalfa

Go down

Supreme and alfalfa Empty Supreme and alfalfa

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

I can't remember which thread we had been discussing this on, but I know I said I had contacted supreme to ask about why they used alfalfa as their main ingredient in their pelleted food. I have had a reply.

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry for the delay in responding to you.
Alfalfa, as you will probably be aware is an excellent source of nutrition. Fibre, protein and calcium are just a few of its nutritional benefits and we can use these to bring the same benefits to our diets.
However, it is very simply a case of ‘anything is fine if fed in moderation’, and this goes for alfalfa in the same way as it might for many other raw materials included within rabbit diets.

Alfalfa, on its own is very high in calcium, and if fed as a sole ingredient of a diet, then there is a strong possibility that nutritional disorders may develop. As such, when alfalfa is incorporated into any of our diets, it is only used at a level, which when combined with all of the other raw materials, the finished products’ nutritional profile is balanced. i.e. if we only use alfalfa at 20%, then it will only contribute 20% of its nutritional content when in our finished diet. Please do not allow the nutritional profile of raw alfalfa to cause you any concern.

I hope this provides you with a suitable explanation, however should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again,

I am not sure it really answers the original question. But I guess they have a point. If you are only feeding a very small amount of pellets that are 20% alfalfa then you aren't feeding very much of it.

Back to top Go down