Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice.

+2
Sparky
Dotdot
6 posters

Go down

Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice. Empty Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice.

Post by Dotdot Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Just given Jeeves his first probiotic water syringe and his panacur. With the panacur he wasn't too bad. I got it on his chin and his nose and I even got some in his mouth cheers but when I put him down he cleaned himself up so it obviously went in.
The water was harder to give though. I tried lifting his top lip a bit and slipping the nozzle of the syringe in behind his teeth and pointing to the right a bit but some of it dribbled out and it was hard for me to tell if he was swallowing.

If anyone has any tips for feeding the water it would be great. I just don't want it to go straight down the back of his throat.

I mixed the pack with about 30ml of water instead of the reccommended 50ml (vet instruction) and gave him 5ml. I hope this is ok? I feel the need to ask you guys for a second opinion.

Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice. Empty Re: Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice.

Post by Sparky Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 pm

You want to go in slightly from the side of the mouth, just behind the front teeth.

Although to be honest you're probably fine with putting it into his drinking water, as long as he is drinking enough. Bio-Lapis is like a 'stronger' version of Pro-C. When we first tried it, the buns drank a lot more but then suddenly seemed to go off the taste Hmmm
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice. Empty Re: Syringe feeding water/probiotic advice.

Post by Dotdot Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I think I was going from the side, but maybe not as much as I thought. scratch
I gave it a good sniff and it's quite a funny smell. It's meant to be dandelion flavoured Laughing

Yeah I said about putting it in the water as I had done with the pro c but she said we can't be sure how much he is drinking and at least this way we know he is definitely getting 5mls and I can put the rest in the bottle/bowl.

This may be a silly question, but do you think I can give him the bio-lapis by syringe and have left over in the bowl, but still put pro c in the bottle? I know it's the same sort of stuff.

Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 pm

We do from the side as well, but sometimes it does me no good at all. Daisy doesnt swallow it - he just opens his mouth and lets it all fall out!

I feel you pain!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 pm

You can sprinkle pro-lapis on food as well but you then need to make sure he eats enough of it. You might want to try just offering him the syringe though. After a quick squirt in the mouth to assess what it is, Bruce will normally lap from the syringe as if it were a water bottle. Works with metacam, glucosamine, and water - but not panacur liquid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Oh Daisy Laughing I shouldn't laugh but what a cheeky monkey.

I tried offering him the syringe and I pretty much chased him round the shed, he's not good with new things he always thinks I'm trying to poison him! Rolling Eyes
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Any thoughts about having pro-c in the bottle and using the rest of the bio-lapis in the bowl?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Why do they do that? They do a good job of trying to make you feel guilty too!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil & Ron's Mum Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:46 am

I put all Lil's medication in 20 mls cranberry juice diluted with 20mls water in a bowl. She sups it down in one slurp. Wink

Lil & Ron's Mum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 am

Dandelion flavored? I wonder who did the taste tests? I know people eat them, but I'm sure our taste buds are different from the buns!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Oh gosh my two always make me feel guilty!

Tonight didn't go so well! I hid Tigger's panacur in the middle of some pieces of spring green, folded them over and she ate 2. The next 3 she would not take, she knew it was on there! OH scraped what he could off them with Parsely which she ate and I took a small bit out of Jeeves' syringe so hopefully she had a decent dosage.

I syringed Jeeves his probiotic, I do about 1ml each time since I can't tell if he's swallowing or not! I put the syringe in his mouth and he jumped, I couldnt tell if I poked his gum or tongue or even his nose but he wasn't happy whatever I did. His tiny fluffy mouth is so fiddly Embarassed No pale
Needless to say when he was popped back down he thumped twice.

Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Poor Jeeves! They know just how to make you feel bad don't they!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down