Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions Please. Is this rabbit abused. (serious question)

+6
dizzylynn
Thumper2001
Dotdot
fall3n-ang3l
Vince the bunny
gentl
10 posters

Go down

Opinions Please.  Is this rabbit abused. (serious question) Empty Opinions Please. Is this rabbit abused. (serious question)

Post by gentl Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am

I had shared a post here on HH talking about the little bunny that was kept in the courtyard of the assisted living community where my mother lives. It lives in a courtyard that is totally enclosed by the building. We had been reassured that the bunny was well cared for although nobody could tell us exactly who was in charge of it's care.

We actually got to see the precious thing Monday. It was never been visible the times we went there before. The night before there had been wind and rain. It had been sunny all morning and had dried things out. At 1 PM we found him(?) mostly wet and fairly muddy. He has one of those largish plastic dog houses, perhaps 24" x 18" and it was on a porch under a roof. Inside the little house, the pine shavings were soaked and black. The water bowl had algae in it and what I assumed to have been pellets at one point was brown mush.

This is what we found: [url=Opinions Please.  Is this rabbit abused. (serious question) ForestHillsBunny]Rabbit's House[/url]
This upset me. Since I've never seen more than pictures of the lovely hutches and runs that HH makes for it's outdoor buns so I don't know what would be the reasonably acceptable habit for an outdoor bunny.

It's a lovely English Spot mix I think. Looks maybe 4lbs. To me it looked skinny. I wanted to bunnynap it right then and there! It was quite friendly but it was a bit wary of being petted. I have no idea if it is a buck or doe. Hubby tried to get a 'view' to check for male bits but crawling in the mud was not be done in his Sunday go to meetin' clothes.

So what about it? Is that acceptable for a little bun?
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Opinions Please.  Is this rabbit abused. (serious question) Empty Re: Opinions Please. Is this rabbit abused. (serious question)

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 am

It's not how I would keep my buns, even if I took one in in an emergency situation I would provide better accomodation than that.

If you bunny nap it, it will probably be replaced with another bun. Education is the way forward here I think. Is there a site warden you could speak too?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Opinions Please.  Is this rabbit abused. (serious question) Empty Re: Opinions Please. Is this rabbit abused. (serious question)

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:48 am

Vince the bunny wrote:It's not how I would keep my buns, even if I took one in in an emergency situation I would provide better accomodation than that.

If you bunny nap it, it will probably be replaced with another bun. Education is the way forward here I think. Is there a site warden you could speak too?

agree
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:It's not how I would keep my buns, even if I took one in in an emergency situation I would provide better accomodation than that.

I agree with both sentences here. How you described the pine shavings as soaked and black and the bunny wet and muddy isn't good Sad
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I certainly wouldn't have a bunny of mine living like that No There's no excuse for him/her living in dirty/wet conditions.

Don't you get extremely hot weather where you are? If yes, that plastic thing must be baking some days!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Disgusting, the food dish for a start will have bacteria breeding on it, the water dish same. The bedding will not keep him/her warm when its cold, far to exposed period. I would contact your local rspsa.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks ladies. Nobody will say who is responsive for that poor little creature! That little house is under the roof of the building and that makes me really wonder if perhaps the courtyard perhaps had flooded briefly. The flash flood sirens did sound for about 15 minutes.

I also saw a small wire variety cages in another part of the courtyard. We couldn't get to it because my wheelchair won't go on soft muddy ground. There were 4 turtles in the courtyard too and they were somewhat tame.
I'll continue to investigate and talk with the local SPCA.

Again, thanks for your input! Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 pm

If they let the food dish and water dish get like that then they are not bothered about the well being of the rabbit , and wheres the hay?

I think they certainly need educating on a rabbit's needs and welfare or better still the rabbit taken off them I doubt if they can be bothered to get another rabbit as they don't
even look after this one poor bunny! Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 am

Definitely looks like a bad case of neglect. For the bowl to be that dirty and contaminated means that no-one is regularly looking after the bunny. As you know, bunnies need hay for bedding and food, but also need regular cleaning out. Someone must know who has overall responsibility. Otherwise, it could be that everyone just muddles by thinking that someone else will do it.

I agree that rather than just report it, when it will just be replaced with another little victim, it would be better first to try to explain why the set-up is so bad and how they could improve it.

Really if no-one is prepared to look after the animals appropriately, they shouldn't have them. It doesn't help the residents and it certainly does nothing for the rabbits.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 am

Poor little thing, that isn't good.

I think I'd talk to them, and offer to take it off them. If you're happy to have another one that is Very Happy I couldn't leave it there without doing anything, I'd feel too bad.

He/She can't have been checked that day at least if that's what the bowl and house looked liked, and if no one is taking responsibility i'm not convinced they'd be bothered to get another one.

Hope it gets sorted out one way or the other.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I think it is a disgrace too. I wish I could come with you love and we could both give them a talking to. Thank you for telling us and please let us know how you get on. I wish I could give more support.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum