Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

domino's feet now

+6
Vince the bunny
Tuckerbunnies
Vegan_bunny
Amelia66
KatieB
fiver
10 posters

Go down

domino's feet now Empty domino's feet now

Post by fiver Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 pm

left foot picie today
domino's feet now F5e2fe6d
right foot picie today
domino's feet now Ef27a1c3

they are healing now they were worse before Love Love

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

domino's feet now Empty Re: domino's feet now

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Oh my god - the poor girl must have been on agony. Do you know why it happened?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Katieb wrote:Oh my god - the poor girl must have been on agony. Do you know why it happened?
no idea vet said some buns can be prone to it with sensative feet and to try different bedding she was on sawdust but now on soft straw and newspaper
weve stopped the worst i think.
theres no more bleeding and no more gunk coming out so think she's now on the mend

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Oh dear the poor little one Hugs glad she is getting better
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 pm

I think straw is generally a no no for bunnies with sore hocks, it's sharp and can hurt their feet. If it's working then brilliant but very soft things like blankets, fleece and pillows are good for them and it might help heal her poor feets quicker Smile

Did she get pain killers and anti-biotics (they look a bit infected)? Fiver has sore hocks but they are nowhere near as bad as your bunnies feet and he is in pain with his. Do you cut her nails regularly? I also heard that can help, as well as sudocreme Smile

I hope they continue to improve, poor girl!
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:38 am

OMG ! they look so sore they must have been really bad and so very painful for Domino Sad
They can be quite difficult to treat and can recur Rob so Domino's footsies need to be checked often so they can be treated straight away if they flare up again.

Found this for you Rob it may be of help...........

The first step is to tackle any underlying cause. Nails should be clipped as short as possible without damaging the "quick". Old, fat, immobile bunnies need to lose weight and may benefit from long-term pain killing medication to make them more comfortable and willing to move about. Any rabbit kept in damp conditons must have a far better level of care, and if the patient is a child's rabbit, the parents must take over responsibility for the care of the bunny.
Next, look at the surface the rabbit spends most time on. The perfect flooring for a rabbit with sore hocks is clean, dry grass, but indoor rabbits or those in hutches don't have access to lawns. Instead, you should aim to provide a compliant surface (where the toe nails can sink in, allowing the foot to function more as nature intended) where the rabbit spends most of its time.
We used to recommend that houserabbits with sore hocks should be "switched onto vinyl or plastic rather than carpet or vice versa". Now we have a better understanding of how sore hocks develop, we realise vinyl is a poor choice, unless the fundamental problem was dirty, damp conditions. Vinyl just isn't compliant enough to restore proper mechanics of the foot.
A far better option is to provide the rabbit with a deep bed of straw, perhaps on top of a towel or layer of peat, and place it where the rabbit likes to hang out. This needn't be too messy indoors if you find a big box with sides several inches high. The large under-bed storage boxes boxes work well. Veterinary fur-fabric bedding is also an excellent surface for your rabbit to rest upon, as it helps to spread the pressure on the whole bottom of the foot.

Don't forget that carpet is abrasive - some bunnies develop friction burns when leaping about on synthetic carpets, particularly when jumping off sofas and beds (it's not just the hind feet that are affected in some rabbits!) so you might need to discourage your rabbit from taking flying jumps off the furniture!

If your rabbit lives in a hutch all the time, you will need to undertake a full review of his living environment. Hutch-kept rabbits are likely to be relatively immobile and have spinal problems from lack of exercise over the years. As well as sorting out the flooring (switch to a deep bed of straw - wood shavings are abrasive, although you could use them on the floor and put the straw on top) your rabbit will need more exercise and space to move around in.

Most cases of sore hocks need to see the vet, for a thorough health check as well as treatment of the actual sore hock. More stubborn cases may benefit from referral to a veterinary dermatologist.
Treatment may include antibiotics; anti-inflammatory and pain-killing drugs; topical "artificial skin" preparations; and possibly bandaging, which is jolly good fun - bunnies usually hate bandages! Beware of applying creams and ointments without veterinary supervision - you may make the problem worse and prevent proper assessment of the affected area. And don't forget that unless the underlying problems are addressed, treatment is likely to be frustrating

This article first appeared as part of "Surface Attraction: skin problems in rabbits", written by Owen Davies BVSc MRCVS and Dr Linda Dykes, and published in "Rabbiting On" magazine (the official journal of the British Houserabbit Association) in Spring 2000.
It has been extensively revised in the light of recent texts on rabbit medicine, most notably Frances Harcourt Brown's "Textbook of rabbit medicine" (Butterworth Heinemann, 2001) which contains a fascinating section on the problem of sore hocks on pages 233-239 and from where the information quoted above on flooring and foot biomechanics was obtained.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am

Rob, from my nursing training I would be saying you need something stromger than sudocreme for those wounds. I would ask the people at gorgeous guineas if their foot ointments are suitable. I would also be getting tose wounds covered back up as they have a long way to go in the healing process. You don't want those wounds to dry out or you could cause abscesses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:33 am

You could also try some manuka honey on it. Vet uk sell a range of dressings that might be useful vet uk. You want something that will add moisture in not dry the wound out. Then wrap it over with badage to hold it in place.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 am

thnaks maysie for the article most helpful.
thanks everybody for all your supportive comments and suggestions.
domino is being nursed by me but is my son's rabbit so was unaware and am now making sure she gets all the things she needs for this problem,
she is having flamazine 50ge cream on her poor feet with a melolin dressing wrapped with petflex and is changed daily,she is also on baytril daily and being monitored by my vet.
she is much happier now i also have made sure that my son allows me to oversee her day to day needs too Very Happy
xx

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am

Oh poor thing Sad Do you think a bit more off her nails might be beneficial? I may be wrong and apologies if I am, but if her nails are too long it may cause her to sit awkwardly on her feet. I may be wrong and it may just be the angle of her feet in the photos Smile I hope you don't mind me mentioning, it looks like you have snipped them a bit already but maybe a bit more is needed?
I have to check the hocks on my rexes regularly, luckily they have always been good. Boo had some soreness when he first arrived but that resolved itself quickly. Mine live on lino, carpet and paving slabs with just newspaper in their bedroom with two litter trays with megasorb and shavings mixed together. Hay in a rack (or everwhere once they have vandalise it Laughing ) Don't know if that helps. Maybe you could put something cushioned under newspaper so nothing sticks to her feet?

Hope her feet are better soon Hugs
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

The poor little angel! Sending massive ammounts of vibes for
the healing of Domino's boo boo feet. Until they heal wouldn't
hay be softer than straw? Some straw is so pointy.
domino's feet now HARE-MAILSTAMPIMMEDIATEDELIVERY-1
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Manuka honey is wonderful for healing we use it all the time for packing abscesses and for wounds.

Our blind bunny Angel had osteomyelitis and because of it he got sore hock's and he ended up with abscesses and he was in a bad way with them and we use to wrap them with 'Boots Self Adhesive thick padding' and we kept him on a soft surface but sadly on a check up and x ray the bones in his leg were just crumbling away with the Osteomyelitis and we had to say goodbye to him. Angel was a very special bunny Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:Oh poor thing Sad Do you think a bit more off her nails might be beneficial? I may be wrong and apologies if I am, but if her nails are too long it may cause her to sit awkwardly on her feet. I may be wrong and it may just be the angle of her feet in the photos Smile I hope you don't mind me mentioning, it looks like you have snipped them a bit already but maybe a bit more is needed?
I have to check the hocks on my rexes regularly, luckily they have always been good. Boo had some soreness when he first arrived but that resolved itself quickly. Mine live on lino, carpet and paving slabs with just newspaper in their bedroom with two litter trays with megasorb and shavings mixed together. Hay in a rack (or everwhere once they have vandalise it Laughing ) Don't know if that helps. Maybe you could put something cushioned under newspaper so nothing sticks to her feet?

Hope her feet are better soon Hugs
that's ok i don't think that at all of you in fact i was shocked a little when i saw her nails but it's the vet who cut them but when she goe's for her check in the week i will tell my son to get them trimmed again.
tbh i've been nagging my son for a while about letting her have a run around for longer but he's 20 and thought i was over reacting BUT he's listening to me now and letting me have input throughout,
he was worried she was getting stressed when she grunted at him but i explained that he must continue to interact with her ie pick her up just to get her out to run around and she would get used to him doing that and finaly he's listening to my advice.

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Poor girl - they look sore, but it sounds like your son is now taking on board what you were saying and everyone here has given great advice so hoping now that Domino makes a speedy recovery. Sending plenty of healing vibes her way Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Is she spayed? She may be hormonal which could be why she is grunting at him. Is she confined to a hutch/cage for long periods? This could be why her feet are so bad, sitting in one place for a long time won't help her feet. Sounds like the medication she is on at the moment is doing her good but obviously there are things that can help her healing even more and make her more comfortable.
I've heard manuka honey is good (as others mentioned) but she will need something more, I'm not sure what the cream is you are using but it's obviously working. Could she be put on pain killers? This might encourage her to move about a bit more and will also make her feel more comfortable. The cream may help soothe her feet already but it's always worth checking with the vet Smile
I hope your son continues to listen to your advice!
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

she had a little run around my kitchen earlier she seems quite happy Very Happy

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 pm

The poor little love, that looks extremely painful. How is she today?

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 pm

all the scabs seem to be gone and looking much better she's back for check up on thursday so hopefully all is good

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 pm

That's great news Rob Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 pm

will see if i can get new picies and post them Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Rabbits learn quickly and if your son picks her up to take her to a run for excersise she will soon learn that is why she is being picked up. She may grunt when he tries to put her back but if her hut h is a good size, clean and has things to do in it, and more importantly, she isn't going to be shut inside for long periods of time, she will soon learn that her home is a home and not a prison. Some treats go a long way to gaining a rabbits trust as does time and patience. Spaying will clam her down a lot if she is not done already.

How is she today Rob?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 pm

doing well thanks i'm doing a dressing change soon Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Keep us updated on the healing process Smile It may take a long time for her feet to get back to normal and she may never have the fur grow back on her feet but keep going with it Smile

Fiver's feet are sore and it's been months, nothing seems to clear it up but I know he wouldn't tolerate any dressings. It's rather frustrating and Domino is obviously a very good bun for going through vet checks, dressing changes and medication. Smile Glad she is getting better. x
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Poor girl, those feet looked very sore. Thank goodness you are rabbit savvy Rob or she could have been in so much pain for ages. Glad she is making a good recovery. Hugs Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down