Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please on indoor rabbit cages

4 posters

Go down

Advice please on indoor rabbit cages   Empty Advice please on indoor rabbit cages

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-LARGE-INDOOR-RUN-PLAY-PEN-CAGE-NEW-UK-STOCK-/400217477784?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item5d2ed21298

Do you think something like this above would be better for indoor boarding bunnies than an indoor cage. We have indoor cages as they are far easier to clean for boarding bunnies and then they have a play pen . I was just thinking would these be better and build them up instead of out as the buns have already a play pen but they would get shelves and different levels with these. Only they seem cheap but then I don't know how much they should be scratch

I'd be very interested to know what people think. I'm actually looking for 3 large indoor 150 bunny cages as want to change our indoor boarding ones and came across these and I'm sat here thinking I need advice on this Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Advice please on indoor rabbit cages   Empty Re: Advice please on indoor rabbit cages

Post by Sparky Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Bear in mind that you only get 26 panels for that price - the cage in the main picture is built using about 67 panels as far as I can make out. The ones Humum occasionally manages to get at B&Q are about £22 and I think they have 23 panels in each box.

Also once they are put together they can be tricky to take apart and rearrange without breaking the stupid connectors Mad and you don't really get enough connectors with them (although this seller does sell the connectors separately, apparently).

I'm not sure how you disinfect between boarders and whether you could clean mesh panels as well as you can a cage? Also you can't move these out of the way very easily so end up crawling inside to sweep or hoover.

If you want a level, could Mike not put a shelf on top of each cage with a hop-up to it?

These do make very good pens for a permanent set-up, definitely - if you think they'd suit your requirements for cleaning and disinfecting, and depending how the cost compares to the equivalent cage space. They are quite versatile when you do want to change things around, as long as you don't mind breaking a few connectors doing so Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Advice please on indoor rabbit cages   Empty Re: Advice please on indoor rabbit cages

Post by Zo Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:42 pm

I have these for Hectors run, from the same supplier, they're good quality and if you send them a message asking them too, and buy all packs in the same transaction, they'll only charge you one postage fee.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Sparky wrote:Bear in mind that you only get 26 panels for that price - the cage in the main picture is built using about 67 panels as far as I can make out. The ones Humum occasionally manages to get at B&Q are about £22 and I think they have 23 panels in each box.

Also once they are put together they can be tricky to take apart and rearrange without breaking the stupid connectors Mad and you don't really get enough connectors with them (although this seller does sell the connectors separately, apparently).

I'm not sure how you disinfect between boarders and whether you could clean mesh panels as well as you can a cage? Also you can't move these out of the way very easily so end up crawling inside to sweep or hoover.

If you want a level, could Mike not put a shelf on top of each cage with a hop-up to it?

These do make very good pens for a permanent set-up, definitely - if you think they'd suit your requirements for cleaning and disinfecting, and depending how the cost compares to the equivalent cage space. They are quite versatile when you do want to change things around, as long as you don't mind breaking a few connectors doing so Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Sparky I was hoping you would give me your advice being a rabbit and all that Smile

I do need something that I can clean thoroughly and we have just been looking at them again and perhaps they are not ideal as I can't crawl inside them really, with the cage bases I can carry them to the bath and I sterilise and clean them in the bath with a shower head and I can do the top and bottom of the cages. I think we will stick to the indoor cages and Mike said he will think about what you said about making a shelf although I keep pet carriers and toys on the tops at the moment as I'm pushed for space .
The indoor cages we have at the moment for the boarders open all along the front and are ideal as I safely tie them back and leave them open so the buns can hop in and out during the day if they wish I just would like something like the rabbit 140 or 150 now instead of the 120's. Most of our indoor boarding buns are not locked in their indoor cages at night and I don't feel that the 120's are big enough for two medium sized bunnies anyway.

Many Thanks for your advice Sparky Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Mike said he will think about what you said about making a shelf although I keep pet carriers and toys on the tops at the moment as I'm pushed for space.
Two shelves - one for bunnies and one for bunny bits Thumbs Up

Jack and Layla have a 4' two-tier hutch downstairs. Hudad has built an outside hop-up to the upstairs instead of using the stupid ramp, and they store pet carriers and things on the top. Then they have the end of the living room penned off for their space with toys and things in, but the pen is never closed so they free-range the living room.

Tuckerbunnies wrote:I just would like something like the rabbit 140 or 150 now instead of the 120's. Most of our indoor boarding buns are not locked in their indoor cages at night and I don't feel that the 120's are big enough for two medium sized bunnies anyway.
If they're not shut in, do they need to be any bigger? Jack and Layla never sleep in their hutch - it's just a closed-in place they can go if they want to.

ETA - Humum said next time she comes across any in B&Q she'll pick a box or two up. Then that's an excuse to visit you, and you can try them out if you like Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Sparky wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:Mike said he will think about what you said about making a shelf although I keep pet carriers and toys on the tops at the moment as I'm pushed for space.
Two shelves - one for bunnies and one for bunny bits Thumbs Up

Jack and Layla have a 4' two-tier hutch downstairs. Hudad has built an outside hop-up to the upstairs instead of using the stupid ramp, and they store pet carriers and things on the top. Then they have the end of the living room penned off for their space with toys and things in, but the pen is never closed so they free-range the living room.

Tuckerbunnies wrote:I just would like something like the rabbit 140 or 150 now instead of the 120's. Most of our indoor boarding buns are not locked in their indoor cages at night and I don't feel that the 120's are big enough for two medium sized bunnies anyway.
If they're not shut in, do they need to be any bigger? Jack and Layla never sleep in their hutch - it's just a closed-in place they can go if they want to.

ETA - Humum said next time she comes across any in B&Q she'll pick a box or two up. Then that's an excuse to visit you, and you can try them out if you like Thumbs Up

If the boarding bunnies are not locked in their indoor cages/hutches during the night at home we don't do it here but if they are, we do as we don't want to change any routine they may have at home.

I may have to have a look at Hudad's 'outside hop-up' that sounds quite good Very Happy

Tell your Humum Sparky that she doesn't need an excuse to visit us she can come and see us anytime and she can even bring Hudad with her Laughing Laughing Laughing
We will get the 'CAKE' in. Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

I have these for my guinea pig cage and they're really great for that - I just this afternoon built my guinea pigs an upper level really easily and it's sturdy, too. They're really versatile like that. Thumbs Up

However, I have always wondered how well they would fare with any other animal in. Piggies don't really do much impact to the walls/sides of the cage, but I know that I wouldn't trust these as a cage alone for my chinchillas or Willow at all. Plus the fact Sparky pointed out that there are never really enough connectors. My piggies' cage is covered with cable ties from where I ran out of connectors Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down