Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poppy and the cold nights...

4 posters

Go down

Poppy and the cold nights... Empty Poppy and the cold nights...

Post by Sparky Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Poppy is a daft madam, she chooses to sleep on the end of her top shelf instead of inside the snuggly warm hutch in her huge hay nest.

When Humum went out to tuck everybun in tonight, Poppy showed no interest in her nana chip or shredded wheat. Humum felt her ears and they were freezing, although when she picked her up for a cuddle the rest of her felt reasonably warm. She heated up a snugglesafe, popped it on the shelf next to her and came upstairs to see what Hudad thought. It is supposed to be frosty overnight so they decided to bring her into the kitchen for the night, where it will be fairly cool but not as cold as outside.

Poppy is still quite lean, although no longer skinny, and is not really showing signs of moulting into a nice thick winter coat, so they are a bit worried about her getting too cold. There is no way she can come into the house longer-term (they are hoping it will cloud over again and be warmer tomorrow night). They could possibly swap her into the hutch-shed, which should be a *bit* warmer plus she will be confined indoors then at night. But they are a bit wary of having an unspayed doe in that community giving off hormones, with a buck in each of the other groups.

She could be shut into her little hutch overnight, but it is only a little hutch so that seems a bit mean.

Or are they worrying too much? She was out last night and it was frosty this morning - it was her lack of interest in the treats she normally goes barmy for that worried Humum....

Any thoughts, hu-people?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Poppy and the cold nights... Empty Re: Poppy and the cold nights...

Post by Big Ears Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Is there any possibility of making a solid lid for her enclosure? Even if it just went on when it's really cold.

And no, I don't think your Humum is worrying too much, Poppy is potentially a bit fragile so needs tucking up warm

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 pm

How small is the hutch in her enclosure?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 am

I think since it's only overnight shutting her in the small one wit a heat pad would be fine. Poor little lady xxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 am

Big Ears wrote:Is there any possibility of making a solid lid for her enclosure? Even if it just went on when it's really cold.

And no, I don't think your Humum is worrying too much, Poppy is potentially a bit fragile so needs tucking up warm
I think that would be quite tricky as it already has a sloping roof on.

Thumper2001 wrote:How small is the hutch in her enclosure?
I think it's 4' x about 15" x 15" or so. Although she is quite a small bun too.

Katieb wrote:I think since it's only overnight shutting her in the small one wit a heat pad would be fine. Poor little lady xxxx
I think Humum is leaning in the same direction, as it is only overnight while she *should* be asleep...

Thanks all Smile
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum