Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What no discount?

+4
SarahJane
fiver
Sparky
Sixer
8 posters

Go down

What no discount? Empty What no discount?

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm

All six buns have been for mxyi jabs this morning. As per usual I had the dilemma of taking them to my nearest but more expensive vet - 5 mins away, or the cheaper vets 20 mins away, both of whom are bunny savvy. Once again as the buns get stressed by car journeys I opted for the least stressful option for them. But for the first time I left a message for the practice owner yesterday asking if they would consider offering a discount given the number of rabbits involved, especially as it was Rabbit Awareness Week.

The vet this morning said that the answer was no - so I am now £147 lighter. Am somewhat taken aback that after using these vets for 23 years they couldn't manage a bit of a discount. I will be having a re-think next time the vaccinations are due. Certainly Paddy, the cat, who doesn't mind car journeys will be going elsewhere.

The highlight of the trip was Gabriel weeing in spectacular fashion over the vets table Laughing
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

What no discount? Empty Re: What no discount?

Post by Sparky Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Laughing Good for Gabriel! I'm glad you had the answer from the vet first though Wink

It is a bit off that they didn't offer you any discount at all. Apart from anything else, doing 6 buns in one session takes less time than six separate appointments.

Did you just have the myxi rather than the combined (the buns I mean, not you). Our vet is charging us £20 a bun for the combi vaccine and I have no doubt they are not losing money on it at that price...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Yup - it was just the mxyi jab. None of their VHD's are due until March next year at the earliest so I opted not to have the combined one. If the vet today charges £24.50 for just mxyi I dread to think what the combined one will be Shocked
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Wow - it costs me about £30 for both myxi and vhd. It will cost about the same for my pair to have the new joint vaccine. With a prescription you could have bought the nobivac myxo online for 5 buns for £42.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm

well done gabriel but wish she got em in the face Laughing
they could have given even a small discount Rolling Eyes

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I have also found the joint vaccine online

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Nobivac-Myxo-RHD-5-x-1-dose/productinfo/NOBMYXORHD/

If you have lots of buns it is worth talking to the vets about whether it is cheaper for you to pay for a prescription then order online then pay again for a vet to administer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Wow - it costs me about £30 for both myxi and vhd. It will cost about the same for my pair to have the new joint vaccine. With a prescription you could have bought the nobivac myxo online for 5 buns for £42.

Aagh. I knew there was a huge mark-up on mxyi vaccines but had no idea it could be bought with a prescription. I will certainly think about this next time around. I suspect the local vets though will charge an arm and a leg for a prescription and also then the consult time to administer the jabs.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Sparky wrote: Laughing Good for Gabriel! I'm glad you had the answer from the vet first though Wink

It is a bit off that they didn't offer you any discount at all. Apart from anything else, doing 6 buns in one session takes less time than six separate appointments.

Did you just have the myxi rather than the combined (the buns I mean, not you). Our vet is charging us £20 a bun for the combi vaccine and I have no doubt they are not losing money on it at that price...

Our combi vacs are £34 each!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I think Willow's combined is around £35 but I will have to check. It works out cheaper than giving the two seperately, which was nearer £45. She is due at the end of the month actually...

Mind you, I only have one bun. I don't know how you guys all manage the bills for all these buns! Shocked
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Wow its a shame they dont do even a small discount. Our vets do a discount on vaccinations if you bring 3 animals for their jabs at once. Which is a great way to get people to convince friends/relatives to get their pets vaccinated to get a discount.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Hectors combi was £39
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:18 am

The difference in vaccine prices is staggering - I am guessing some of this is explained by have a consult time element within the price and practices have different views on this.

Even so, I still feel hard done by!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 am

I think the only reason we get ours so cheap is because there are so many of us and by now we should have our own consulting room and our own vet Laughing
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down