Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding a new hay supplier

4 posters

Go down

Finding a new hay supplier Empty Finding a new hay supplier

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 am

The buns love Hay for Pets, but im going through a 9.5Kg bag really quickly and its getting pricey replacing it so often! Its a bit of an inconvenience buying bales of farm hay because i dont have the time to collect them and they make a mess of my parents car.

Has anyone got any suggestions of online suppliers of quality, affordable hay, delivered to your door? I pay £16 every 4-6 weeks now.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Finding a new hay supplier Empty Re: Finding a new hay supplier

Post by Sue_pawz Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 am

I was just wondering if there was anywhere you could set up a monthly direct debit, a bit like you can do with our veg box.

Anyone know of any?
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Bales of hay from farms are by far and away the cheapest. I have found a supplier who delivers to me now. Prior to that I used to take an old duvet cover with me to collect bales of hay and put the hay into that before putting in the car. It really does keep the mess factor down.

I use this hay in litter trays and then the more expensive stuff such as Hay for Pets in hay racks. That way I am not wasting too much of the expensive stuff when I replace the hay in the litter trays.

At the moment the buns are on rye hay from the farm - this is really coarse and the buns love it. Their poops are huge and with five buns with dodgy molars I am hoping it will help slow down the formation of spikes and spurs.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:44 pm

We get ours from our local independent pet shop, who pick it up directly from the farm. Humum goes to the shop but they would deliver to us too. Try ringing a few small local pet shops to see if they deliver?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

The only one that has bales of hay is my local one, he wouldnt sell me a bale before because he makes money from selling it in 50p bags. It never smells very good either and i now refuse to use him after he ignored me when i told him about Dolly having syphilis (she came from that shop) and said he wasnt selling rabbits anymore. He then got more in and THEN refused to put Hughie in the shop window because he sells rabbits in store!

I used to be good friends with this guy, used to go to his house and ride his horses for him as hes no longer able to. I dont want to know him anymore.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down