Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding

+3
Amelia66
fall3n-ang3l
FluffSlave
7 posters

Go down

Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding Empty Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding

Post by FluffSlave Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am

So as you all know, we are off to look at three potential husbuns from our local RSPCA branch for Willow tomorrow afternoon, which is very exciting for me as it will be my first rescue bun Happy Dance

Initially, we were going to send Willow to them to be bonded, but Mum and I are feeling quite confident that if we read up on it we could attempt it at home. That way Willow doesn't have to do any stressful car journeys/stay away from home (where I would worry non-stop about her) Embarassed

So I'm just looking for some basic tips/help on how we need to go about this. We do have a totally neutral room to do it in, so that's a good start for them Thumbs Up

I'm going to spend the day educating myself on bunny bonding, but I knew a thread on here would help a lot! study

Thanks guys! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding Empty Re: Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 am

fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding Empty Re: Need a little bit of advice RE: bonding

Post by Amelia66 Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 am

I would say the only problem with home bonding is if you take a bunny home to bond, you bond with him yourself then willow decideds she doesnt like him would you be able to give him back to the rescue and do the same with another bunny?

Its just a little more difficult yourself and i would suggest if your rescue center does bonding it may be worth the journey to save the stress. I dont have much info on bonding tho but im sure someone who does will be along soon Smile
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 am

When we bond bunnies we usually give them a couple of weeks in indoor cages with a pen attached next to each other just enough distance away that they can't nibble each other's nose through the bars or do any damage to each other. This get's them use to each other, we will put their food dishes in the same place as the other bunny so when they are eating they are sort of eating together but with the pen divide down the middle.
We are doing this at the moment with Roly and Linnet. Linnet has a puppy crate and pen ( she's a little Nethie) and she is next to Roly and they have been together now for over a month as we usually just take the divide down of one of the pens and let them in together and it usually works ok after being so long next to each other. We have had a couple of busy months with the boarding and so we are very behind with the bonding at the moment.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks guys Hugs

I have watched that video and it was really useful.

To be honest I'm in two minds. I'd worry so much about Willow whilst she was away and I do feel as though I can do it after reading lots on it, but at the same time I know myself and I do know it would be hard for me to send any buns back.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:28 pm

It's hard isn't it Sad Having carried out two successful bonds I felt fairly confident bonding Gabriel. Famous last words Sad I ended up having to return two girlies which was terribly distressing. However, I have learnt from this and hopefully will be much better prepared for any future bondings. I see now that the first two bondings were a doddle and that what works for one pair may not be the right way for another.

Don't make a decision yet - meet the RSPCA staff, talk about their bonding methods and then see how you feel.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks Sixer Hugs

There is not an actual "headquarters" for our local branch, all of the buns are in foster homes, and they said they have a man who will do the bonds for us if we need to. I'm guessing then that both Willow and the other bun would go from their current homes to his home to be bonded, and then back here if it goes well.

That's the other thing, it seems like lots of stress on the other bun as well.

Oh well, I guess that's what tomorrow's for as you said, to find out about all of this stuff!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 pm

How far away is the rescue?

I'd really recommend giving Willow a choice of boy if you can. Jack and Layla bonded very easily, me and Gizmo were a nightmare. (I didn't go for health reasons - Humum went and picked him out.) You can often tell quite quickly whether they are going to get on easily or hate each other at first sight. It would help a lot if she met somebun before you commit to bringing him home, but there is no reason for you not to complete the bond at home. (Jack and Layla travelled back in the car in separate carriers but with the mesh fronts nose-to-nose.)
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm

They're in foster homes Sparky, about 15/20 minutes away so not far at all.

At the moment I'm really not sure about whether I want to attempt it myself or not. Mainly for the reason I would find it SO difficult to send any bun back. I'm such a sap Embarassed

At least if they bonded for me they could try her with different buns and see who she likes without me getting attached.

I'm going to find out a bit more tomorrow about how it would work etc, as I am SUCH a worrier and I would worry about her the whole time even though I know she'd be in good hands Rolling Eyes
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:16 am

The bonding dilema, we are in the same boat Hugs I have a neutered buck for Tilly in my backroom, he has been aggressive towards me and my hubby so we are giving him time to chill out before introducing him to Tilly. I have no idea how it will work out, but if it goes wrong and they hate each other I will be face dwith the awful decision of sending Arthur back as there is no room for a 4th set up. This would be a shame as he has started to relax a little with us now ad I don't want him to be pushed from pillar to post anymore than what he has been.

I know some people put them in a carrier and go on a car journey but tbh I would seriously advise against this. I once put two sister in a carrier to go to the vet and Hermione attacked Easter and Easter was screaming and running around in circles trying to get away. I just had to plunge my hand in and remove one Shocked Luckily no one sustained any injuries, but the stress of the carrier set Hermione off against her sister. After that, I would never put two unbonded buns in a carrier together.

I will be doing what Tuckerbunnies said, that is the method I use too and I have had success with that.

Good luck with bonding Willow, just bare in mind that bunnies can be quite vile to each other and how would you feel if the other bunny attacked Willow? I'm not saying that will happen but you will emotionally charged and may not read the warning signs in time. Willow is a big girl and she could inflict a nasty injury to you by accident if things went wrong. Why don't you go along to the bonding and supervise with the comfort of having an experienced person take charge. I'm dreading bonding Tilly to Arthur, they are both big bunnies and I've already been bitten by Arthur twice.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum