Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding advise please

5 posters

Go down

Bonding advise please Empty Bonding advise please

Post by bunnymum Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 pm

What is the most successfull way of bonding? I am a first time bonder and i have been using a newly converted shed for the bonding, my doe is very dominant and my buck is a bit wary of her, they spent time together at the weekend and did a lot of chasing, fur pulling and ignoring each other, is it ok to do short sessions of bonding? my poor buck seems a bit withdrawn today, not sure if the bonding is stressing him or not He had his VHD jab yesterday so maybe he feels a bit off Sad Any bonding tips will begreatly appreciated - i want this to go as smoothly as possible.
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Bonding advise please Empty Re: Bonding advise please

Post by racheld69 Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:42 pm

i would say take them for a drive/walk in a cat basket first. defo helps A LOT.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm

I would give him a few days to get over the jab and then try to bond them when you have a couple of days free to devote yourself to it.

I personally (tho I don't claim to be an experienced bonder) wouldn't split them up when bonding. If there is no full blown aggression I think it is a bit of a backward step to split them and then re-introduce them. If the signs are promising then I would suggest leaving them together - even if it means sleeping in the shed overnight! It has been done!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:21 pm

I think now you have started it's best to continue but for future reference I would not get a rabbit vaccinated immediately prior or during bonding as they can feel quite poorly after and the other rabbit may pick up on this and use it to their advantage.

I fully recommend placing them together in a carrier with food and water for a few hours at the start of bonding, this lets them get 'up close and personal' without the space to fight and therefore lets them see the other rabbit in an unthreatening situation. The environment can also cause them to snuggle together for comfort.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymum Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the good advice, i have a 3ft dog crate i could try them in, I think I'll wait until saturday and then use the bank holiday weekend for bonding, this will also give chester a few days to get over his jab.
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 am

I would also not seperate them once you have started bonding, good luck for the weekend! Thumbs Up
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down