Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it too early to pick up another bun?

+7
jolovesbunnies
Velvet.Tears
Rachel&Nibbler
fall3n-ang3l
fiver
Thumper2001
Wizzy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it too early to pick up another bun?  Empty Is it too early to pick up another bun?

Post by Wizzy Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 am

I'm finding things really lonely without little Remlit to keep me company!

And really hard knowing that there are a pair of baby half wild rescue buns very close, whom I was originally bonding him to, and I'm now very attached to! =S But I'd need at least one a little less lively, so it wants cuddle up now and again Laughing

And then to make matters worse, the lady I got Remlit off has a 10 month old boy, (apparently very friendly but being picked on by all her other rabbits), that she's offered me... And it's very hard to say no to one of Remlit's older siblings! (She's not a breeder or a hoarder, no worries! Just really loves her buns!)

I won't pick anything up for another few weeks, until all the E.cuniculi spores should have died...
But is it too early to consider these things? =S
Nothing could ever replace him, but I'm also worried I didn't take enough care of him and that it'll just happen all over again with another Sad
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Back to top Go down

Is it too early to pick up another bun?  Empty Re: Is it too early to pick up another bun?

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 am

Having lost my Thumper in December after almost 11 years together, I can confidently say that only you can make that decision. What is right for you won't necessarily be right for the next person. Some go out immediately and bring another bun into their life, some wait many months, and others never do take on another bun. You've got to do what works for you.

One thing I will say is, nobody here will judge you for getting more buns "so soon". We've all lost buns and we all know how heartbreaking it is Sad

It seems that beating yourself up after losing a bun (or any animal!) is perfectly normal Hmmm But try not to, it wasn't your fault Hugs
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Is it too early to pick up another bun?  Empty Re: Is it too early to pick up another bun?

Post by fiver Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:59 am

very good advice from thumper 2001 and agree wholy Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 pm

also agree with thumper

Hugs
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I also agree. Don't feel bad, only you know how you feel and you need to do what you think is right.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

If you feel right then go for it. Only u know what is right for you. I have no rabbits now as I did have to rehome my others because I was struggling but also after I lost Paris it hurt too much to look after other rabbits. Unfortunately for me i'm one of those people who i think will not ever own a rabbit again but everyone is different.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm

As you you all know, I adored my Snuffie and miss him still. However, I couldn't be bunnyless for long and a week later, I had Mr Binky Boo. It it never too early or too late sweeetie, it depends on how you feel.

Lots of love

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks everyone! =) Again!

My rescue friend with her half wild (but very hand tame!) rabbit girls, (and two gorgeous chocolate rex mums!) has found herself with another home fall through earlier.. Sad .
I've finally bitten the bullet and hope to pick one+ up when I'm ready, hopefully next weekend Happy Dance

Although don't know yet whether it'd be easier to pick up just one, and then a neutered male/young male once I have her spayed...? (Or a neutered male if a compatible one pops up locally!)
I've been told they usually make happier couples, and hopefully would also give her a calmer influence too!
But don't want her to be lonely during the few months wait =/ How does everyone usually handle this?
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm sure the general advice is to have both buns spayed/neutered and let their hormones settle before introduction.

However, my two are brother and sister so I have no first hand experience.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge can help you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm glad you have decided it's time to have a bun in your life again Very Happy

If you are worried about possible EC spores still being around, you could use a preventative course of Panacur anyway. Lots of people do this with any new bun.

What bun are you getting? One of the baby girls? If they are still together now and get on you might be able to keep them together until they have been neutered. Are they going to be house buns? My limited experience of half-wildies is that they would not really settle to indoor life.

I'd advise you to go for the older one who is established as being friendly, and get him out of the situation where he is being bullied. Let him settle in, get him neutered, then find him a nice wife-bun from a rescue Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 pm

I am not sure that this is a helpful comment but if you are going to get one now and one later I would get a buck first. Does are more territorial and so it is easier to introduce a doe into a buck's territory.

As Sparky said, if they are young you may well be able to have a pair of does - but you will still need to have them neutered.

I am not sure if I agree about half wildies not being suited to indoor life. Flo would rather be out but then she will bring herself in in bad weather (eventually). I would say,as with any litter, you need to go with the buns in the litter that are most friendly and outgoing as house buns. Flo's biggest problem as a house bun is that she does not wish to spend time with humans, although after 5 years she is getting better! Laughing

As for the E.C. issues - E.C. is rife in the rabbit population. There is no guarantee that waiting will protect your new buns as they may well already be carriers, especially if they come from the same parents. I think tests have shown that most rabbits are likely to test positive for E.C. at some point in their lives. All you can do is to try and minimise the stress that triggers active E.C. Giving Panacur when they arrive is a good plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Glad you are getting another bunny/buns , I would certainly put them on a course of Panacur when you get them, we always panacur a new bun Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Any new rabbit I rehome in the future will get an immediate dose of Panacur as soon as they're settled - it was far too stressful to risk again, to me as well as the rabbit! Sad

I will have a look at this young buck I'm being offered =) and if we "hit it off", which I really hope we will, as he has been described as very friendly, by a lady who has the friendliest rabbits I have ever seen, then hopefully I can pick him up by the end of the month! =)

He hasn't been castrated yet, but he is 10 months old, so when he's settled, I can take him in for neutering =)

Looking at the comments, this seems the most sensible course of action at least!

Lucy, who's looking after the baby ones, thinks they'll work best inside, as they were brought up indoors after there mum was diagnosed with kidney failure Sad but have thus had lots of handling, and are more hand tame than many fully domesticated bunnies I've seen!

I'll just wait and see what happens though =) There's no rush!

My replies keep disappearing... sorry for the very slow replies! Laughing I keep forgetting to check it updated!
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm going to have a look at the bullied buck this weekend!! And can barely wait! Happy Dance Really hoping we get along!!

Since, he has managed to get along with another rabbit in a pair, so it seems he can be sociable - just too gentle so ends up at the bottom of a pack! Sad

If I was to pick him up, is there any advice on how I introduce, get him settled, when to get him neutered etc etc?
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:35 pm

That's great news, I hope you fall in love with each other Very Happy

When you bring him home, give him a confined space in a smallish area to start with and some hidey-holes. And make sure he has a safe place to go where he is never disturbed. Then it's just a case of sitting quietly on the floor and waiting to see how he is and allow him to approach you if he chooses. He may well thrive as soon as he is taken out of an environment he is currently finding quite stressful.

Neutering - play it by ear but I'd give him a while to feel safe and settled so he that when he comes home he knows he *is* home.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm

I think Sparky has said everything I was thinking Smile

Good luck with your new friend. I hope you both become great friends Love

I know it's better for a bun to keep them in other-bun company, and I know you're getting him a friend later on, but speaking from experience there is nothing quite like building a bond when you have a single bun. Willow lived on her own in my bedroom for a year and we have such a close bond. She knows me straight away and I am her "safety blanket", for example tonight when she was feeling a bit unnerved during the bonding with Mojo she ran over to me and sat on my knee. It's a lovely feeling and I don't know how easy it is to get that bond with two straight off (I'm sure it's doable!).
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:09 am

=(
She decided to keep the buck, as he's finally made a close friend and she doesn't want to split him up now he's finally happy Smile

Feeling a little bit disappointed - I was really excited ^.^
But really glad he's bonded so well to another bun, and I know she'll give him the best of care =D
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh what a shame. Are you not in a position to take two on?

I assume that with him not being neutered, the other bun is also a buck? In which case I am afraid it may all end in tears...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:42 pm

I think they are both bucks - but am hoping it works - she's planning on neutering him, and I think the other buck is neutered Smile

I could take two on - and plan to as soon as I find the right pair! (Although now talking to the lady with the half wildies girls, fingers crossed!) And hopefully will find a neutered male to go with one soon! Smile But the woman with the buck isn't looking to rehome the pair, she's just going to keep them on Smile Else I would be very happy to take an already bonded pair on! =D
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear that those potential buns fell through. The right one(s) will turn up! Our Thumper has only been gone several weeks and we wanted another the next week. Not a replacement. Just a bunny shaped hole in our hearts that needed to be filled and so many needy buns.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm

The right girl has already turned up, which is why I'm now looking for the right male =D

Just been given a lead on a Netherland dwarf that's been looking for a home for a while ^.^ So have finger's crossed he might be the one! =D

Good luck with seeing your little lass today though! =D Have all my fingers crossed for you! =D
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Good luck on your bun search! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Just picked up the beautiful half wildie, Violet =) She looks so much like a tiny hare! =O

She seems really happy already and hoovering up all her hay and nuggets, and comes over to sniff and butt my hand whenever I come over Love

Currently looking for a small neutered male rescue bun to be her forever companion =)

Thanks everyone for your support! ^.^ Let me know if there's anything else I should do now to make her happy!
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 pm

How wonderful! I'm so glad you found your perfect one! We will of course want piccies....but i know you would rather play with her than take piccies for now!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh I am glad you found yourself a bun. She sounds beautiful, look forward to piccies too! Very Happy

Good luck on your search for a husbun Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next