Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought

+7
Sparky
Sue_pawz
FluffSlave
Rachel&Nibbler
Tuckerbunnies
jolovesbunnies
RWAF
11 posters

Go down

Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought Empty Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought

Post by RWAF Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16 pm

New figures from the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF), the biggest UK charity dedicated to improving the lives of pet rabbits, show that the number of unwanted rabbits has nearly doubled in recent years.

The last meaningful survey conducted by the charity estimated the number of rabbits given up to rescue shelters at around 35,000. The organisation has recently conducted another survey, and was shocked to find the figure now standing at well over 67,000.

"What is really worrying," said Richard Saunders, RWAF Veterinary Expert Advisor, "is that this number only reflects the cases where the rabbits have made it into rescue. We can't possibly quantify how many more are dumped in the wild and left to fend for themselves, which leads to almost certain death, by the way. Then there are those who, when the novelty has worn off, are simply neglected and left often in a hutch with no access to exercise space and almost no attention except for a handful of food now and again."

The charity also points out that countless unwanted pet rabbits are sold for next to nothing through classified ads both in newspapers and online as well as at livestock auctions. It is understood that many of these are bought as meat.

In the survey, almost all the rescues said that the problem is getting worse, with more and more people wanting to rehome their pet rabbits. Many said they are only able to take in around 10% of the requests they receive, with most having waiting lists of 2-6 months. Many owners will not wait that long, and take their own steps to dispose of the animal.

The answer? Well the charity's message is simple on this one. Rabbits are not the cheap and easy children's pet that they are often mistaken as being. They are as big a commitment as a cat or dog, and people should think long and hard, and do their research before taking them on. And even longer and harder before they decide to breed 'just one litter' from their pets, all of which will then need to find homes. If you can't commit to providing rabbits with the space, companionship, vet care and proper diet for ten years or more, then rabbits are not for you.

For more information on caring for rabbits please go to http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought Empty Re: Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:36 pm

That is a good article but very distressing. I worry about all the little ones out there who need help and no one knows.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought Empty Re: Abandoned rabbits- it's worse than we thought

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

well over 67,000 Sad

This really upset's me as I don't really think there is even enough rescue's around the country to deal with it Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 pm

How anyone could be as heartless to sell their once loved pet on for meat or knowingly abandon their pet to die is beyond me. In fact, how anyone could somehow suddenly stop loving their pet is beyond me.

Breeders IMO are the scum of the earth. I really don't understand how any of them can be making any money with the amount that are wanting homes?! And I don't for once believe the utter tripe I've heard some say about 'but I do it because I love the animal', if you loved it you wouldn't condemn them and many of their brothers and sisters to death. Mad I am so angry right now, or should I say, people make me so angry HBWS
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

It is absolutely dreadful. It makes me so sad to look at such a shocking statistic. Like Maysie said, how can rescues possibly help that number of rabbits? And like the article said, who knows how many more are abandoned and haven't made it into rescue? No

Some people make me so angry. There are correct channels to go through if you really cannot keep your pet - but releasing them into the wild or worse is just not acceptable! And then there are the breeders who just keep churning them out. There are enough rabbits in rescue for everyone who wants one for a long time yet! We don't need more! HBWS
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm

It's frightening Sad I don't know how anyone could think of getting rid of a pet (I know there are occasions when you just can't keep them). For us, our animals are family, and we could no more get rid of one of them than we could a human family member!

So many rabbits Sad Then when you add in the cats, dogs, guinea pigs, ferrets, horses... heartbreaking. I hate hearing the old line that's trotted out - England is a nation of animal lovers. We may think we are, but it seems clear to me that we are not.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Sad

Yet pet shops are still allowed to sell animals No
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Time for a big pow wow with the Government, pet retailers and rescue organisations to try and thrash out a way forward.

I think that pet shops should have to be a large levy to sell pets. Money that goes to local rescues and major charities. If they stop selling livestock, they don't have to pay it.

However, while a lot of the public perceive rabbits as a cheap child's 'toy', they will not treat their animals well. They will not neuter their pets as they don't see the point and when the animal is ill, they will just let it pull through or die. There needs to be a massive change of opinion before things will change.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 pm

What really sickens and saddens me though is the large pet shop chain that is perfectly aware of the numbers of rabbits that end up in rescue but still churns out baby rabbits by the dozen. To me that is is utterly reprehensible.

I know the RWAF has done a lot of good work, and I completely understand that sometimes to bring about changes one has to adopt a softly softly approach but maybe we are reaching a point where something more has to be done to bring a halt to the pet trade.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by thezookeeper Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 pm

67,000 rabbits Sad .
All animals deserve a loving home for life.
I have adopted both my rabbits,
one of my rabbits,Jason was dumped in a cardboard box outside our local pet store in the rain,I'd love to get one of those people and tell them exactly what I thought of them Mad .
People who hurt or dump animal shouldn't be allowed to live on this world.
Thanks goodness for the RWAF it has done so much good to bunnies.

All I can say is that hopefully one day pet trade will come to a halt.
thezookeeper
thezookeeper
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1071
Location : In my rabbit hole reading with Jenna bun in Kent - England.
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:14 pm

I have always said that, how can anyone stop loving an animal? I think we need to make serious reforms of the laws where animals are concerned. We are supposedly a nation of animal lovers and we cant even get it right.

I agree with you Zookeeper, people who do things like this to animals do not deserve to live, I have no patience with the non-animal lovers we have to share the planet with so you can imagine how I feel about those who actually hurt them.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I've got nothing polite to say, so I'll hold my tongue (or fingers in this case!) and just say that something really has to be done about the continuous breeding that goes on.

How can this be happening/allowed in this day and age?!

It makes me sick to think of all these buns without a home to call their own. Breaks my heart Crying or Very sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I agree Thumper love, it is abhorent. I too worry about the ones I cannot help beause like everyone on here, I cannot abide the thought of a bunny not being loved, it often makes me cry.

At the risk of stating the obvious, something really positive needs to be done.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down