Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about potential home for Hughie

+3
Zo
fiver
marleyNfriends
7 posters

Go down

Question about potential home for Hughie Empty Question about potential home for Hughie

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Im not sure what to do. I have had a message from someone who i dont doubt will give him a good home and plenty of space, but she wants to bond him into a group of 7. She feels it shouldnt be a problem and feels that large groups are easy to bond, i have no experience of it myself, obviously. My concern is him going all the way to Essex and it not working out, its a long way for him to go to have to come back again and its also going to be hard getting him there, and id hate to have to think about having to work out a way to get him back here. ...But what if it does work? I dont know what to to do. I have said i would be willing for him to go there, but she would have to get him back to me. She said that she could keep him in her shed and aivary setup until he finds a new home, but i said no because i cant advocate my responsibility of him like that.

I have to admit, i have growing concerns that he may still be here in June, and im worried its imparing my judgement and ability to choose a suitable home.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Question about potential home for Hughie Empty Re: Question about potential home for Hughie

Post by fiver Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:45 pm

i personaly would refuse and wait he will be better off staying with you
sorry i read it wrong i thought you wrote you doubt it iwould be a good home DUH sorry on me trammies
go for it

Last edited by fiver on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Question about potential home for Hughie Empty Re: Question about potential home for Hughie

Post by Zo Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest with you, if she'd be willing to bring him back to you if it didn't work out it would be good.

You can't think of the negatives all the time, this home could be perfect for him but you'll never know if you don't give him a chance
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Where abouts in Essex is the home? Doubt it will be anywhere near me but if it is i might be able to go and have a chat with her, make you feel a bit more at ease.

I felt the same about Benji and he ended up going to Milton Keynes and hes so happy there. I think as long as she would bring him back to you if things went wrong, its worth pursuing. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Is it an existing group of 7, so he would be the eight bun? How many bucks are in the group already?

How easy was he to bond with Skye? Was he dominant or submissive to her?

And what happens in June? Hmmm
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Sparky wrote:Is it an existing group of 7, so he would be the eight bun? How many bucks are in the group already?

How easy was he to bond with Skye? Was he dominant or submissive to her?

And what happens in June? Hmmm

Its not an existing group, there is a group of 3 or 4 and the others are pairs and singles that she has fostered for Little Angels Rabbit Rescue. Hughie wasnt bonded with Skye, that was Davie. Apart from when he was 4/5 months he has always been a single. Im not aware of the sexes, i didnt get that far into a discussion with her.

SarahJane wrote:Where abouts in Essex is the home? Doubt it will be anywhere near me but if it is i might be able to go and have a chat with her, make you feel a bit more at ease.

I felt the same about Benji and he ended up going to Milton Keynes and hes so happy there. I think as long as she would bring him back to you if things went wrong, its worth pursuing. x

Dagnham (spelling?)
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:Hughie wasnt bonded with Skye, that was Davie.
Brain-fade moment, sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I know you really want Hughie to find his forever home, but this one would just have too many drawbacks for my liking. It's a long way away, and I think it might be quite stressful for him to suddenly find himself in a big group of bunnies. With our experience of gradually splitting our group up until there was only one male in the quad, I'd be quite wary of someone bonding a group with more than one buck (I know people have done it, I just wouldn't unless the boys had been together since birth and neutered very young).

That said, I certainly wouldn't condemn you if you weighed up what she is offering and decided to give it a try Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Ahh dagenham is the other side of Essex. Thats a shame x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by louise_1981 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I would be much more concerned about the travelling, over the bonding. Large groups do tend to bond much easier, however, I've found them much more volatile too, especially in the initial months.

Has this person considered the implications of them not bonding...what would happen not just to Hughie, but to the other buns too ...I know Lucy would provide rescue back up, but I would question wether this was the better option.

Plus jumping from 4 buns to 8 buns is enormous in their upkeep, especially if she ends up with 4 couples like I have. I have found that every day cost wise they are only a little bit more expensive, but are so much more hardwork in terms of upkeep.
louise_1981
louise_1981
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-08-20

http://www.rabbitsneedspace.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm

I kind of knew it was a bad idea, as i did turn her down before i made this post, but i was worried that this is the best offer he might get. I am struggling at the moment, its getting me down seeing him outside on his own all of the time. He gets fed and watered, a head rub and a treat and thats about it, as its always dark and cold outside now.

College is quite stressful at the moment too, im not happy with my marks since going back in September, and they arent staggering the assessments properly. We have nothing for ages, and then they give us 4 that have to be in at the same time! Parents arent getting on either, so im really lacking motivation.

Sparky, in June i leave college and in September i will be moving away to uni, so need soemthing in place by then. I could bond him with Marley and Dolly, but i really dont want anymore buns at the moment, and i know Marley and Dolly are happy as a pair. I learned that after bonding Skye with them.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Oh Sophia I really do wish an ideal new home would come along for this little guy very soon. Fingers crossed Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum