Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know this is a really weird question, but...

+7
paullp
Zo
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
marleyNfriends
fiver
FluffSlave
11 posters

Go down

I know this is a really weird question, but... Empty I know this is a really weird question, but...

Post by FluffSlave Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 pm

what do you guys with indoor buns do re: the lights at nightime?

I don't know how many of you have buns that live in separate rooms indoors, or when you are out, but do you leave the lights on for them in the evenings until they go to bed?

At the moment I put the light on for my two at around 4pm when it starts to get dark, and it goes off at 10pm when I put them to bed. But then I thought about it, and outdoor buns don't have lights all evening - so do they need it?

Bit of a random question I know Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

I know this is a really weird question, but... Empty Re: I know this is a really weird question, but...

Post by fiver Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm

i turn my lights off and thet get on fine but they get moonlight through the shut blinds so is not pitch black but is very dark and in their genetics they would be roaming the fields at night Thumbs Up
not a strange question btw if not asked how would you know x

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

I know this is a really weird question, but... Empty Re: I know this is a really weird question, but...

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

On a night i have the bedside lap on rather than the big light as i dont like flicking the big light on when its pitch black as im worried it startles them or hurts their eyes, unless its been on before it gets properly dark in there. Same goes for Echo, i dont want her thinking its the middle of the day when its night time.

I know buns can see best in half light conditions, so i guess wether the light is on or off doesnt make much difference.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Believe it or not, my OH puts their bedroom light on when he gets home from work Shocked He did it for Thumper too.

That's only for an hour or so though because they then come downstairs with us. After I put them to bed at 10ish, they don't have any lights on at all but I leave the curtains and blinds open in their room so they get the benefit of the street lights Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 pm

We have the light's on in the garage for the buns all day and then when it goes dark we put the light's on in the rooms where all the buns are for them. If we are out and it goes dark we put the timers on or leave lights on, but it's very rare that nobody is here. We switch the light's of about 10:00 pm or when they are settled down for the night.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Hector has light until I go to bed, but because I am afraid of the dark I have a blue nightlight so he's never totally in the dark (if I'm out when it gets dark Mum comes in and puts the lamp on for him)
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 pm

The outdoor buns get a street light near them... I'm not sure if they like it or not but they have an area they can go that is dark if they want to.

Myrtle lives in the house with us which is open plan so gets the lights we have on, she has her tunnel system to hide in if she wants her own space. She normally chooses to be outside with us but goes in if we fry food. We normally switch off lights around 11 or 12.

We try to leave a light on if we go out and wont be in till after dark.

Routine seems to be the most important thing though and grumpyness will follow if anything is done even a few minutes differently than normal No
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Awww. Its so sweet that everyoens family puts the lights on for their bunnies Love My parents shout at me for leaving my lamp on for the buns and Echo. Rolling Eyes
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Where I need to I do this for Nibbler, but it is rare I need to as he's an indoor bun and with us most of the time.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:24 pm

My outdoor guys have a light in their shed which goes on until it gets dark, but gets turned off when I put out their night time blankets and shut the run hatch at about 8pm.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Seems it varies between everyone's set ups then Thumbs Up

I will just keep leaving the light on for my pair until they go to bed at around 10pm then!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 pm

My little boy sleeps on my bed every night and the light is on whilst we have a fuss and I read. Then I turn it off.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 am

Rory's current enclosure for most of the daylight hours is our Master Bath and it doesn't have windows so we turn the light on for him so he will know it is day. We let him out about 3-4 PM and he stays out until Bunny Bedtime which is about 11PM. He does go back in there at various times for a nap. He has built himself a straw bed beside the john.(and no we are not using that one whilest he is living there).

He readily goes to bed when we tell him it is Bunny Bedtime. Of course that could be because of the noms involved!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down