Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humping

+6
KatieB
Sparky
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
Zo
icedancer
10 posters

Go down

Humping Empty Humping

Post by icedancer Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

Florence has started a very delightful habit, when I'm giving Dougal a really nice stroke and tickle she comes over and starts humping him. It's getting more and more regular, and as the majority of visitors stroke and talk to the bunnies it's only a matter of time until the little madam does it when someone else is stroking him.

I've tried saying "no" or flicking away (I read that makes them think theyve insulted you) but she still keeps doing it. Dougal has never humped Florence, he's probably too lazy, but she has always humped him. It is getting more frequent though.

I know it's probably her way of saying "oi go away he's mine" but is there anyway I can sto it?!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Humping Empty Re: Humping

Post by Zo Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Spray her with water maybe? That usually works when Hector is being naughty
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

A lot of people say that they notice that their rabbit's hump when it's feeding time well that's because they are excited over being fed and that's why rabbit's sometimes hump before you put their food in ( if they are a bonded pair of course ). It could be she think's you are giving Dougal treats and she get's a little bit excited or she is attention seeking.

Don't use a water spray I don't recommend it as it's not nice for bunnies to be damp in this cold Winter weather, try whistling that's what we do and it does work Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:47 pm

I will whistle at her next time and let you know! They have started begging for treats if you walk in the room, I need to stop visitors feeding them treats as soon as they come in because they've picked it up and now expect it!! I've got my dad and niece to thank for that Laughing so you're right it could well be an extension of that.

Little madam! She really goes for it too and it looks daft where she is so much smaller Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Norty Florence! Laughing

My two are the same with begging for treats. They know EXACTLY what happens when they have visitors - and Willow just hops over and periscopes under her treat shelf, working her beautiful big eyes at you. If that's not bunny-begging I don't know what is!!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Perhaps you should wait until Florence is paying Dougal some attention, then go and start humping him and see how she likes it... Twisted Evil

.... no? Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 pm

I imagine she'd go ballistic and cause some serious damage!! Dougal is her biatch!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh poor Dougal!

I think she is jealous!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Whistling made Dougal scared and Florence just continue doing her stuff No HBWS That's twice in a day now.

Dougal has just started coming when I call him too, he's going to stop at this rate!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Oooo she is a little madam - and very clever too.

I hope that she just stops hunni x x

Florence - Behave yourself missy!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I totally sympathise! Molly is regularly humping poor Junior!

I've not found a way to put a stop to it yet Hmmm
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 am

The Lesbits (the two female buns belonging to my friend who would come to visit in the summer and always escape!) do this a lot too. The more dominant one always humps her sister if you give the subservient one any attention. It seems to be a kind of hierarchical thing.

My two beg for food all the time too (what rabbit doesn't Laughing Laughing). Sasha even recognises that a mug in the hand might mean a biscuit hidden in the pocket. She then comes over and jumps up onto the couch and 'inspects' you to see if you have contraband. I think she would make an excellent sniffer rabbit! Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 am

ooooh dead! Laughing Dolly does this to Marley, but not really at any particular time. She will always do it when i put them in the carrier though, especially if i put them in too early. As soon as we put them in the car, it stops.

Anyway, as Maysie said, i wouldnt reccomend a water bottle, you dont want to instill fear. I used it once when bonding and would never do it again, just didnt sit comfortably with me. I usually make a high pitched EEEEEK, or whistle when theyre doing something i dont want. Sometimes accompanied by a loud clap. Maybe giving her a treat when she stops would help?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Touchwood, Gabriel seems to have calmed down on the humping front here Smile He was being an absolute pain on Saturday so I had him out and gave him a right talking to. I also upped the Bach flower essences/brandy in their water and over the last couple of days I have seen him and Spring cuddled together a lot more rather than the humping.
I think he is having a hard time coping with the fact that he has met his match in Spring Rolling Eyes and she is not going to do as he wants.
I do feel for all of you with troublesome humping bunnies Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:46 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:ooooh dead! Laughing Dolly does this to Marley, but not really at any particular time. She will always do it when i put them in the carrier though, especially if i put them in too early. As soon as we put them in the car, it stops.

Anyway, as Maysie said, i wouldnt reccomend a water bottle, you dont want to instill fear. I used it once when bonding and would never do it again, just didnt sit comfortably with me. I usually make a high pitched EEEEEK, or whistle when theyre doing something i dont want. Sometimes accompanied by a loud clap. Maybe giving her a treat when she stops would help?

I have to say I use a spray bottle with Hector, and he isn't afraid at all, not of the bottle, or me, or getting wet (he frequently goes for a dip in his water bowl) but at 2am when he's decided to chew his bars I can't exactly whistle, go EEK, or AH! When my parents are asleep in the next room.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Zo wrote:
marleyNfriends wrote:ooooh dead! Laughing Dolly does this to Marley, but not really at any particular time. She will always do it when i put them in the carrier though, especially if i put them in too early. As soon as we put them in the car, it stops.

I have to say I use a spray bottle with Hector, and he isn't afraid at all, not of the bottle, or me, or getting wet (he frequently goes for a dip in his water bowl) but at 2am when he's decided to chew his bars I can't exactly whistle, go EEK, or AH! When my parents are asleep in the next room.

I do Laughing
I just find the water bottle method a bit cruel, but thats my opinion. Afterall, most of the things they are doing are natural bunny behaviours and ways for them to communicate. Sometimes it doesnt fit in with how we live, but they are just being rabbits at the end of the day, so who are we to stop them?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down