Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spaying question

+7
jolovesbunnies
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
Rachel&Nibbler
fiver
Oggie & Flower
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spaying question Empty Spaying question

Post by Oggie & Flower Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey everyone

Just wondering if anyone case advise me on Flowers spay Smile I've been quoted by the receptionist £90. I was wondering if there are any questions that I need to ask about pain killers etc when I book her in?

I do believe the vets now have a rabbit savvy vet - yay!

Thank you x

Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Spaying question Empty Re: Spaying question

Post by fiver Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 pm

sounds around right they all seem to charge different prices but the lowest I've seen was 75.00 sorry I cant see the pound signe key at mo Laughing
it would be good if they were rabbit savvy but it is a general operation so don't worry she should be fine Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Someone may need to correct me on this as I've only had one bun neutered before, but the following is my experience with neutering...

We were told all of the relevant information (like painkillers and what not) when we took Nibbler in, I'd just make sure if they were to not mention any painkillers to ask about them, though I'd be shocked if your vets didn't as you'll need to give some pain relief in the days following.

Our vets did supply us with an out-of-hours number which I would strongly recommend getting as well, just in case. I'm not saying this to worry at all as a lot of spays/neuters go well, but Nibbler didn't take well to his and was one very unhappy bunny so we had to get him more painkillers and they were fantastic just to talk to to ease any worries we had.

We took in some of Nibblers own food when he went so he was eating what he was used to, I think most people advise that when you take a bun in to the vets for a prolongued stay. Under no circumstances starve your bun before the op. Someone posted on here recently that their vet advised them that, if yours does, please tell them that this is wrong.

Um... one thing I can remember is that we were told to avoid any sawdust/stray bedding as it can get caught on the delicate area, so be careful if that's what you're used to using. We gave Nibbler a cushion and fleeces to lay on.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm

I have heard of vets sending post-neuter buns home with no pain meds at all Mad

They normally don't let them go home until they have eaten something.

She should get a follow-up check a week or so after - this is usually included in the price.

Check what sort of stitching they'll use, and how the wound should look so you can keep an eye on it.

Is she an indoor or outdoor bun? Be sure to keep her somewhere warm and quiet for at least 24 hours after the spay, then restrict her movements for at least a few more days.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

There is a thread in the information section on neutering that should give you some pointers. But I would like to hear that post op pain relief is offered and that they will do her early and make sure she is with it and munching a little before she comes home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Thank you so much everyone Smile

She is indoor bunny and is normally mostly bedded on hay so I'll put a towel and fleece in her cage instead. They're in my bedroom so its very quiet and not in the main part of the house.

Interestingly, I can't remember the vet offering any pain killers after Bog had his neuter a few years ago... can't even remember him mentioning it. Will make sure pain killers are a given when I book her in though.

Thank you for great info, really appreciative and have put my mind at rest a little more! I don't know why I'm worrying so much haha.
Will have a look for the the thread, thanks cheryl'n'bruce'flo

Will keep you updated x
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

I would also get some of their fave treats as it will help them nomming again Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 am

I'd just make sure she has some pain relief to come home with and we always put some vet bed in their indoor cage to sit on instead of the usual hay so it's a bit more comfortable for the bun when they have been spayed/neutered. Keep her nice and warm.

Make sure you check the operation site to make sure it's not red or inflammed and healing nicely and give her a few days of cage rest as it's a major op for the females and they need to rest while they heal.

I'm sure everything will be ok.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Thank you for the replies Smile

I've just phoned the vets and have booked her in for a pre-op check next Thursday with the rabbit vet. I checked about pain killers. Apparently they inject them with a painkiller which will last two days however I can also ask for additional pain killers which I can take home at an additional charge.
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Oggie & Flower wrote:Thank you for the replies Smile

I've just phoned the vets and have booked her in for a pre-op check next Thursday with the rabbit vet. I checked about pain killers. Apparently they inject them with a painkiller which will last two days however I can also ask for additional pain killers which I can take home at an additional charge.

That 2 day painkiller will be probably a Vetergesic injection so she will be a little drowsy even the day after her Op as Vetergesic makes them slightly sleepy.

That's good that you can get additional painkillers which will no doubt be metacam which is always worth having in Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Thank you Tuckerbunnies Very Happy I'm slowly learning haha!
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 am

Just thought I'd update this.

I took Flower to the vets last Thursday. From that, we've found out she is underweight (she always has been petite) so couldn't be spayed - she ways 1 kilo but should weigh 1 1/2 kilo. So the vet put her on panacur for the week and I have upped her food a little too. This vet was lovely and really rabbit savvy.

I took her back today and saw a different vet... who I wasn't amazingly impressed with. She held Flower like she has never held a rabbit before... not supporting the bum at all Evil or Very Mad ! Anyway, Flower hasn't put on any weight but hasn't lost any either. Her panacur treatment finished today and I've been told to just feed her more Hmmm . The issue is, I already feed her quite a lot. She has unlimited hay, has a handful of SS per day, has dried forage once a day and I've upped her fresh herb intake to every other day. She has another appointment in 2 weeks time but not with the rabbit savvy vet as he isn't coming down for a few weeks.

HH wisdom would be really helpful. I don't really know what else to do now. My instinct is to find somewhere else with a rabbit savvy vet.
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

just as a temporary thing could you not mix in some more fattening nuggets,
my lot used to be on the pets at home nuggies and are more fattening but now are on s.s. which are less fattening.
just a thought Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you Fiver, will do some research. I was wondering of a mix of food but wasn't 100% sure
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Poppy came to us seriously underweight. As she had kits we just free-fed them all a mix of SS adult, Burgess adult and Burgess Junior. She did have some squidgy poos for a few days but at the time it was more important to keep her weight up.

Our other buns get a mix of SS and Burgess too, so that if ever we can't get hold of one or the other they are already used to both.

Do you get the impression Flower is eating much hay? Does she act like a poor starved little waif at pellet time, like most buns do?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I've put her on a mix of burgess and SS now, thank you sparky.

She gets very excited about hay and will happily much down on it. Although she doesn't eat it all up unlike Oggie. She acts very much like a starved little one at pellet time!

I do have a strong suspicion that should be inbred, so wondering if she just isn't made up correctly. I'm also now wondering if she has some sight problems too.

I'm going to phone up the vets in the morning and wait to see the rabbit savvy vet.
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I hope all goes well at the vets Hugs

I'm glad to hear she eats her hay well and the 'starved bun' impression at pellet time is not unusual in this house either No

Fingers crossed her eyesight is just fine xxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm

How old is she? Does she look thin and feel delicate to handle? Is she pinched in at the waist when viewed from above?

Is she a very active bun? That was our issue with Poppy - she never stops so was burning off as much energy as we put into her. She's gradually got up to a decent weight but it's probably taken us four months to get her there....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Thank you Fluffslave!

Sparky - She does look thin (compared to Oggie anyway) and feels delicate and bony to handle and touch.
She is quite lively although has just started calming down outside of the hutch. I tried putting her on our scales but they aren't amazing so going to buy new ones to try and keep a record of her weight.

She so badly wants to be bonded with Oggie (will follow him around the cage when is he free ranging) and Bog will kiss her through the bars. I was hoping that she would be in recovery period now before bonding Sad Heyho, thats bunnies!
Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

how is she today do you feel she is eating more

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm

I hope the little love is better. Please give her a noserub.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 pm

The best food for putting weight on bunnies is porridge oats with some boiling water and a little bit of honey , mix altogether, serve when cool.

If she keeps losing weight or doesn't put any on I would consider having the vet x-ray her tummy .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:The best food for putting weight on bunnies is porridge oats with some boiling water and a little bit of honey , mix altogether, serve when cool.

If she keeps losing weight or doesn't put any on I would consider having the vet x-ray her tummy .

Cooked rolled oats and water? I cannot imagine Rory eating that. I thought he was pudgy, but he has a lot of fur! I hope I can find a vet. The few rabbity minded folk I've come across all recommend the vet that Thumper died at. I just don't think we could bear to enter the building. Poor little thing needs snipping badly.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie & Flower Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you for replying Love I'm sorry I haven't replied until now, I'm starting up a new business and have our first workshop this Friday so things have been a little hectic!

We have another vet appointment this Thursday to see if she has put on weight. Her eating habits have been great - she can eat for England! Which is why I'm a little Hmmm about the whole situation as I'd expect her to put some weight on!

I've started giving her porridge this week, thank you Tuckerbunnies. I'll let you know how it goes. If she still hasn't put on any weight on then I'm going to get them to investigate further.

Oggie & Flower
Oggie & Flower
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

I have all fingers and toes crossed that she has put on some weight for you, can be spayed and there is nothing else the matter Hugs

Please let us know xxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down