Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE -

+5
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
fiver
Thumper2001
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE - Empty Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE -

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi all, today flopsy is head/ear shaking not constant but every minute or so I really don't know what's up . I believe he's lost a bit of weight and he doesn't seem to be moving about as well as he normally does . He's 6 now , he's had 2 dentals . The last dental he had was in April then he had an xray beginning of may that showed he had root problems so has been on 0.4ml metacam since.

I'm fearing it's E.cuniculi here's a video of him shaking his ears he does it a couple of times at the beginning then at the end , ignore me making strange noises. I'm so worried

Every minute or so I really don't know what's up . I believe he's lost a bit of weight and he doesn't seem to be moving about as well as he normally does.He's 6 now , he's had 2 dentals . The last dental he had was in April then he had an xray beginning of may that showed he had root problems so has been on 0.4ml metacam since .

Phoned the vets got an appointment with John at 10:50 tomorrow..
Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE - Flopsy_zpse4b582c0

Last edited by BellaPickleFlopsyLily on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE - Empty Re: Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE -

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Jack when I click on your link it says the video does not exist.

There are all sorts of reasons for head shaking ranging from general annoyance through to E.C. Dental problems can also be to blame. Or ear problems. I am sure John will quickly get to the bottom of it.

One of the problems I have found with Bruce this year is that beacuse of the bad weather he has spent less time out on the grass (because the grass keeps turning into pond and Bruce hasn't had any swimming lessons). Less time eating grass = more dentals. He eats loads of hay but there is something about eating proper live grass that wears teeth like nothing else.

Back to top Go down

Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE - Empty Re: Flopsy is poorly (Ear/head shaking) UPDATE -

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 pm

BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I still can't get the vid to work Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 pm

That's better.

I think it is impossible to tell from a video what that is about. He is not favouring one ear or side that I can tell or leaning towards one side. Which roots are the problem ones?

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:That's better.

I think it is impossible to tell from a video what that is about. He is not favouring one ear or side that I can tell or leaning towards one side. Which roots are the problem ones?

He is doing the head shaking a bit more now.. urm I am not entirely sure Embarassed His last x-ray was beginning of may 2012 so I don't remember
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm

it really looks to me as though something is agitating his left ear he may have an ear infection or a bit of something stuck in there

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

It seemed to me that he was keeping his left ear back a bit and turning his head to the left occasionally?

Have you actually had a good look in his ear? It looks to me like something is just irritating him and I wonder if something is caught in his fluff that side. I'd shine a torch down there and see if you can see anything physical, if he will let you.

If not, you know he'll be in the best hands tomorrow.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Sparky wrote:It seemed to me that he was keeping his left ear back a bit and turning his head to the left occasionally?

Have you actually had a good look in his ear? It looks to me like something is just irritating him and I wonder if something is caught in his fluff that side. I'd shine a torch down there and see if you can see anything physical, if he will let you.

If not, you know he'll be in the best hands tomorrow.

We first thought there was maybe something stuck in it but we have had a look and cant find anything Hmmm Just hope it is nothing serious Sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:32 pm

have you an otoscope?

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 pm

fiver wrote:have you an otoscope?

What's that? Shocked
don't think we do anyway Laughing
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 pm

He is certainly annoyed about something that is definite. The other thing to look for in his ears is waxy stuff. This would mean mites.

Otoscope - one of those things vets use to look in ears and mouths.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 pm

its the thing drs use to look in your ear with a light and seeing cone piece

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 pm

To me he could have an ear infection, ear mites or just a build up of wax in his ear's I don't think it's anything to do with e.cuniculi though.

Sometimes you can't see with the human eye the vet is better looking down an otoscope in the ear, these are otoscopes below

http://www.crestmedical.co.uk/modules/shop/products.asp?catid=26&rangeid=105

He may just give you an ear cleanser for the ear which brings the wax to the surface or ear drops.

Good luck at the vet's let us know what it is Jack Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi everyone sorry did not update you all earlier, I had typed it out on my phone then it wiped it for some reason anyway Flopsy's ears were checked they are quite red inside and there was some puss but because of his ears being quite curvy it was difficult for our vet to get a good look, Flopsy also has several spurs and has lost 200g of weight so he is in on Monday for a dental and for his ears to be checked thoroughly. I get the impression that there is nothing seriously wrong with the ears and it might just be connected to his dental problems anyway he has gone 9 months since his last dental and for a bunny who barely eats any hay I suppose that is great, this will be his third dental all 3 have had a 9 month gap so I suppose he is not a severe dental bun? Lots of vibes for Flopsy on Monday please
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

It is good news that he is not too unwell Jack. On the dental front, it can be a really changeable thing how long buns can go between dentals.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:37 pm

i'm so glad it turned out better than you first thought, I did not think it was e.c. and was something more to do with his ear mega vibes for him and his dentals and ear Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Good luck and vibes to Flopsy for his dental/ear check. I hope the ear and teeth are linked and the dental sorts the problem for him Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 pm

This is a relief love, I am so pleased that he isn't as poorly as you thought. Lots of loving vibes for tomorrow.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 am

Sending vibes for Flopsy's ears to be healed fast!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 pm

vibes for flopsy Hugs
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Thank you ,I'm hoping he's okay ...
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

i'm sure he will be fine with your care Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Topping up the Vibes for that gorgeous Flopsy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Another vibe-top up for Mr Flopsy! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next