Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you give your rabbits a new name?

+12
Babybunnies4
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Big Ears
Lionel&Lolly
Becca6
Happy Hoppers
Honey61
KathyT
SarahP
racheld69
Sixer
bunnymum
16 posters

Go down

Do you give your rabbits a new name? Empty Do you give your rabbits a new name?

Post by bunnymum Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am

When you take in a new animal, do you give it a new name? I have always given mine a new name as i like to think of it as a fresh start.
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Do you give your rabbits a new name? Empty Re: Do you give your rabbits a new name?

Post by Sixer Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 am

Rosie and Hollie came as Ebb and Flow ( KayJ from Bunnyhops Rescue was under pressure to give them names when they first went to her vets!) As they had not had these names for so long it was an easy decision to re-name them.

BJ came as Blackjack.

Nia came as Nia. Her name, when she was in a rescue, was chosen by Capel in memory of her own very special Nia so I would have never considered changing it.

Gabriel came as Gabriel. As he had been used to this for 6 months or so we decided it was better to keep the same - and now he is such an angel it is fitting!

All our bunnies know their names Very Happy

Last edited by Sixer on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Do you give your rabbits a new name? Empty Re: Do you give your rabbits a new name?

Post by racheld69 Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 am

no i don't - coz have talked about them with existing name so when they arrive think of them as that name and seems weird to change it. ther hand when i took foxglove home from rspca they had been calling her broccoli on her records but i didn't know that and hadn't referred to her as that so gave her a new name.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I have done so far (for the same reason as you), but I wouldn't always rule out keeping the same name.
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:22 pm

I did change Truffles name because he seemed such a sad little bunster when we first met, and he just didn't suit the name his previous six year old owner had given him (Floppy). Once I'd got him bathed and cleaned up and he was starting to look a bit happier, Truffles seemed much more appropriate (especially since for the first four days I had him I swear he didn't take his head out of the food bowl).

That said, Mozart was named at the shelter, and it really suited him so we kept it (Mozart is a cat btw). we did give him his various nicknames though - Sod, Hypnotoad, Toad and HRH his Grace the Duke of Sod.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymum Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:13 pm

I went to see a bunny last week as a potential husbun for one of my does and he is called flopsy, he's big and boyish so if we have him i think i'll change his name. He is 5 yrs old and prev owner was an older lady.
bunnymum
bunnymum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey61 Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

My first 3 buns were all babies & hadn't been 'christened' so I named them, however my current buns, brothers Tigger & Roo were already named when they came from the rescue & oddly enough Tigger later chose a wife already named Eeyore Hmmm

When Roo eventually marries I'm hoping it isn't to a Piglet or Pooh! Laughing
Honey61
Honey61
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Not always but normally I do, it depends if I like the name or not. I think the only one of my bunnies who kept their name was Bobby because it just seemed to suit him.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Tarquin is the only bun who came with a name, and with a name like that (chosen by Sooz Very Happy) how could I change it? It's such a distinguished name that I would never in a million years have thought of for a rabbit, but it suits him unbelievably, so Tarquin, or T, he is Smile
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Lionel&Lolly Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Most of mine have come to me without names but Maddie came with the name Chocco from her previous home and i just had to change that!

Lionel&Lolly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 pm

I had thought that I would change their names. I wanted to change Rudy's name because I thought why should his previous owner get to choose his name when she gave him up? Having spent time with him I realise he's been well looked after in the past and it was probably hard for her to give him up so ... Rudy he still is.

Tinkerbell was named by the foster carer who put a lot of time into getting her to trust. I wasn't keen on the name at first but she does suit it and I feel it was right to keep the name that someone who did so much for her gave her.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:03 pm

My own buns hadnt had names before as ive had them all from 8 weeks, (with exception of pet shop moonie)

All the rescues generally get new names, i couldnt bare to let Muffin keep his old name - Fluffy Rolling Eyes

Depends really if i like the name!! Some have kept their names Eg Honey
But 97% of them are changed
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.freewebs.com/starlightsrabbitrescue

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Dumpling and Treacle were from a petshop so didn't come with names so we chose them. Embarassed Laughing
Dusty was called Bluie (blue eyes) which I hated and Dusty just seemed to suit him. My then oh wanted to call him Woggie No
Meggie was Nutmeg which seemed strange to me as she was black and white, I wanted something close to what she had been called so settled on Meggie a pretty girlie name for a cutie bun :luv:
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by biscuitblossom Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I changed graffiti and scribble to pixie and pandora.....Jack came as Jack(named in memory of jacksjane's Jack)...I changed Busters name,he had been called Thugsy.....Bugsy came with his name.....Rosie came with hers but her full title is now Rosie Ginger Whitely (don't ask!!)....Bonny also came with her name and Billy and Indigo we had from babies so we named them ourselves.

biscuitblossom
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystal butterfly Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:24 am

when i got Lilli-Mai i kept her name only because i like the name Lilly and the Mai together sounded unique believe me you probably wont find another rabbit with the same name Wink

i do worry that when Crystal and misty get rehomed their names will get changed Sad i dont want them to but i know i have no say over the matter but either way they will always be Crystal and Misty to me. luckily Binkys new owner is sticking with his name :luv:

me personally probably wont change a buns name unless it really was terrible and i didnt like it
Crystal butterfly
Crystal butterfly
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://www.piczo.com/crystalrabbits

Back to top Go down

Post by *lily* Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:38 am

When we took on Simba he was called Billy which I didn't like.

So, as he was a lionhead, I called him Simba, how original Embarassed Laughing
*lily*
*lily*
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Bertie was called Hartley, by the pet shop he was dumped at. They didn't know what he was called before, but we changed it, when he acted like a toff and refused to have anything to do with us, so it had to be something more upper crust Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down