Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects?

+8
jolovesbunnies
fiver
Big Ears
Thumper2001
marleyNfriends
KatieB
Sue_pawz
Sixer
12 posters

Go down

Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects? Empty Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects?

Post by Sixer Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

My lovely vet came to our house on Wednesday evening to vaccinate all six buns. It is a good 30min drive to her practice so taking six stress head buns in the car for vaccinations is never fun and therefore Caroline very kindly agreed to come out to me. I am boycotting the vet's down the road as they wouldn't give me a discount (after being a customer for 24 years) on vaccinations when taking all six at once.

This was the first time they have been given the combined jab and I must admit I am a little nervous still of it. Noo had it last year and then died 5 weeks later - it was more than likely a coincidence but I cannot be 100% sure and it still remains at the back of my mind.

The buns have never had problems with the single vaccines but on Thursday afternoon Rosie was definitely out of sorts. I gave her a biggish dose of metacam and over the course of yesterday she has gradually got back to normal.

And then yesterday morning BJ was out of sorts too. I brought him in and metacamed him too and then carried him back outside. I sat down on the decking steps so that he could hop off my knee and go back to Rosie. Except he didn't - he just climbed higher up on me and snuggled in. He has never ever done anything like this before. This was at half seven in the morning - I was in my dressing gown with a fleece over the top. As the sun was on us I sat with him for about 45 minutes, he showed no inclination to jump off of me. It was peaceful sat with him, watching the birds in the garden. I had to put him down in the end as my feet were starting to go numb. By tea time he was back to normal too.

I can only assume the jabs had knocked them for six. Has anyone else experienced this? Ot maybe BJ's tummy was off and the warmth from me and the upright position he wanted to be in was helping.

I also wonder if the vet coming to the house was a good idea. Rosie and Hollie have both been very nervy over the last couple of days being convinced that they are going to be caught again. I wonder if the trauma of being vaccinated in what was previously 'safe' place has temporarily upset them scratch

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects? Empty Re: Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects?

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:51 am

My 2 had no issues with it, but then they do seem to have cast iron constitutions! Among my bunny people I've not heard of any problems either, but obviously that's not to say some buns won't have bother.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects? Empty Re: Combined vaccine - have your buns had side effects?

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 am

Mine were all fine, maybe Daisy was a little quiet, but he sulks a lot anyway.

There may be something in them being unsettled with the Vet coming to th house - they really don't like changes do they.

Strange about BJ though. Is he ok today?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:28 am

Marley and Dolly had no issues when they had theirs, neither did Davie or Hughie. My friends buns are particularly sensitive and get stressed very easily - they were out of sorts for a couple of days, especially her stasis bun. They were back to their usual selves within a couple of days though and there was no way of really knowing if it was the vaccination on the trip to the vets, or something else entirely.

Im quite happy with the combined vaccine anyway.

Your comment about the vet coming to the house possibly upsetting the bunnies even more is interesting though. Its a good point, and would certainly make me think twice about having a home visit now you mention it.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am

No issues with it here either.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 pm

No issues with any of my ten either, all of them had it last year.

Eloise has just had her second combined vaccine this week and again no issues.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:36 pm

none of mine had a problem but I guess some buns may have reactions like us really x

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Binky was fine too love, no side effects whatsoever. I am sorry to hear about your trouble.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Jack's pasteurella flared up about 2 weeks after he had it for the first time last year. He had been through a couple of other stressful events then too. He had it on Tuesday just gone and had a bit of a quiet day on Wednesday, is back to binkying today, and we're hoping not to have a repeat of the snuffles but won't know for certain for a couple of weeks.

I think we have had 12 other buns have it and not noticed any adverse reaction in any of them.

I have not (yet) been vaccinated. It's a decision Humum needs to make for me yet again this year when the weather warms up and the risks increase and largely depends on how well I am.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

BJ is absolutely fine today but Rosie is really out of sorts again. Has just refused a treat from me, but I don't know if that is because she has lost what little trust she had in me or if there is something genuinely wrong. Rosie is a very much 'you can look but not touch bun' and get's stressed very quickly with being handled. I have seen her eating today but maybe not as much as normal. If there is no enthusiasm at supper time - her favourite meal of the day - then I think we will be off to the vet's tomorrow.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:59 pm

No probs here - in fact I was amazed how both buns were carrying on as if nothing had happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I hope she is ok and it is just a bit of a huff Hugs Hugs Hugs

Did you take them into the house for the vaccinations? I would expect them to still feel secure within their own areas.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I had a day of feeling a bit manky after my jab on Tuesday. Having a bouncy Layla didn't help so I nipped her on the bum and she left me in peace. I felt much better on Wednesday afternoon though. I had a nice long snooze in a beam of sunlight Smile
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by catxx Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:29 pm

My two had no problems with the vaccine at all.

Could his funny turn may be down to the moulting season coinciding with the vaccination?

catxx
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 am

Sparky wrote:I hope she is ok and it is just a bit of a huff Hugs Hugs Hugs

Did you take them into the house for the vaccinations? I would expect them to still feel secure within their own areas.

Yes I brought them into the house. Rosie is the biggest stress head out of all the buns. She panics as soon as she is taken away from where she is safe and won't tolerate being touched at the best of times. The most I can manage is an occasional one fingered brief touch. She came to us at about 5 months old and in the 5 and 1/2 years she has been with us the only progress that has been made is that she no longer holds herself quite so rigid when picked up. She spent the first six months indoors with us so we did make a big effort to try and get her to feel more relaxed around us but she didn't want to know. When she moved outdoors with BJ, who she adores I have let her be.

I am still a bit worried about her, she did eat her supper last night but ignored her pellets this morning. But then so did BJ too. There are some tiny poos in the shed which I suspect are hers. I am agonising over whether to take her to the vets. She is moving around happily enough and has been out and about investigating this morning but I am not convinced she is 100%.

A round trip of 1 and 1/2 hours to the vets will not help her at all if she is just feeling extra stressed at the moment. But then I am going away on Tuesday for three days so am worried about leaving her with hubby and son who may not realise if anything changes for the worse.

Will spend some time watching her this morning and will review things then.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:29 am

It's so difficult to know what to do, isn't it, when they just seem a little 'off' but nothing you can put your finger on.

I hope they both brighten up a bit Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thezookeeper Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 pm

My two were fine too.
No problems after either Thumbs Up .
It probably was the home visit and the vet that startled them a bit,I know of some buns who get startled when a new smell is in their home.
I hope their okay now and have brightened up Hugs Hugs Hugs
thezookeeper
thezookeeper
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1071
Location : In my rabbit hole reading with Jenna bun in Kent - England.
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 pm

BJ is absolutely fine now - has had a couple of spells free ranging in the garden and then being very cheeky about not going back up onto the decking when told to.

I have been sitting in the sun watching Rosie - better than helping hubby sand skirting boards - and I realised that she was not wanting to put one of her front paws down when sitting still and there was a hint of a limp when moving.

So, I have further traumatised her by bringing her in and checking her over. There is nothing obvious wrong with her paw or leg but I have given her some metacam.

I think her trust and tolerance of me has now gone past zero and is now in the negatives. She gave three almighty thumps when I took her back. I only usually get one Sad

Will see what she is like tomorrow now.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Aww, poor Rosie. It was for her own good though! If only they could understand that Hmmm

I hope her footsie is better soon.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:25 pm

I hope it is *only* a sore paw and nothing more to worry about Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum