Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor bunnies ??

+5
Tuckerbunnies
marleyNfriends
gentl
fiver
xLilyRosex
9 posters

Go down

Indoor bunnies ?? Empty Indoor bunnies ??

Post by xLilyRosex Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Hey guys, little bit excited. Ive decided that i am going too move the buns from the garage where they currently live into our spare bedroom for a few reasons - one they will get alot more quality time than what they currently get Very Happy and two because they are in the gargae it obviously gets a little dusty in there and with rose and her problems i think her health would benefit from being in a dust free environment.
I plan on getting dog cages and having their pen runs around them. Their living area will not be as big as what it currently is being in the garage but as above they will get alot more quality time and time running around the upstairs which i think equals this out.

What are the pros and cons of having house buns??

They will still in nice wheather be going outside on the grass like normal.

Thanks in advance, just wanna make sure im making the right decision. xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Indoor bunnies ?? Empty Re: Indoor bunnies ??

Post by fiver Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

oh how lovely they i'm sure will love the move Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Pros:
they get more attention, they have lots of fun, they give lots of attention, they give lots of fun, they do happy 500s around the house, great company.
tbh the list would go on and on.

cons:
they love skirting boards, paper, walls.
more skirting boards, more paper, more walls oh and of course not forgetting wire and leads a particular faveroute pastime for buns is to "ahem" fix them Thumbs Up
hope that helps Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Haha Smile I know I'm very excited about them moving in, will problie be in about a week or two gotta get everything. I brought them two new cat posts each and they have new houses aswel. There's no wires they can get too and they won't be out unsupervised lol too chew the wood work haha Smile and there pen areas will not be next roo the walls either I also plan on getting the plastic flooring I have in the garage for them forgot what it's called but I'm going too have that in the're too protect the floor Smile. Will be a load of pics coming up when they move Smile xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 am

I've never had outdoor buns. But indoor buns are wonderful! If you saw how much drywall and skirting boards my Rory has demolished you would run in terror though. They bring SO much joy. Their antics never cease to entertain. You will come to appreciate how intelligent they are. Always new surprises!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:49 am

fiver wrote:oh how lovely they i'm sure will love the move Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Pros:
they get more attention, they have lots of fun, they give lots of attention, they give lots of fun, they do happy 500s around the house, great company.

cons:
more skirting boards, more paper, more walls oh and of course not forgetting wire and leads a particular faveroute pastime for buns is to "ahem" fix them Thumbs Up
hope that helps Laughing

This ^^
Although, I will add, theres a lot more hoovering and dusting to be done, sometimes it seems never ending, and whoever you live with will probably shout at you several times a day for blocking the hoover, or making the hoover smell funny, or blocking up the washing machine with hair off your blankets blah, blah, blah. But who cares, house bunnies are fun!! Very Happy If i had a room where Marley and Dolly could live other than my bedroom, Id love them to be house buns 24/7, but as they have to share my room, I do get sick of it being more like an oversized hutch, and stepping/tripping on their toys. House bunnies through winter suits me just fine, as I also know that they enjoy being outside in the warmer months.

You could be lucky, your buns may be an angel in the house. Marley is, as long as there are no cables in the way. Dolly is always finding new ways to annoy me or get me into trouble with the folks Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 am

We have had outside bunnies and we now have 22 indoor buns, well 13 of them live in the garage which has been made into hutches and play pens for them but we have 9 living all over the bungalow, 2 in the living room at the back , 3 in the dining room, and 4 in a spare bedroom.

They can destroy furniture, carpet's, skirting boards, wallpaper, sofa's, remote control's, shoes and clothing and just about anything so you need to do some serious bunny proofing. I think the most important thing about having them indoors is if they are ill you are apt to notice sooner than later and you can keep an eye on them.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 am

Haha well everything's gonna be bunny proof Smile and when out they will be supervised also Smile so excited. Planning it all Smile xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm

can't wait to see the motly crew in da house Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

We have floppy indoors, he has the kitchen to himself, put a baby gate up to keep him in & dogs out, he's calmed down a bit as we leave him all day to play with his toys getting attention everytime 1 of us go in. He still tries to climb but only once or twice, he's fell in the recycle bin 3 times, numpty. Only problem is you cant go in the fridge he's right in the veg section not stupid knows where its kept. Only time we put him back in his cage during the day is if were going to be out for a while or when cooking so he doesnt get burnt or in way, bed time is about 10 oclock he's happy to settle down after that, as long as hes been out most of the day.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
fiver wrote:oh how lovely they i'm sure will love the move Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Pros:

cons:
hope that helps Laughing

This ^^
Although, I will add, theres a lot more hoovering and dusting to be done, sometimes it seems never ending, and whoever you live with will probably shout at you several times a day for blocking the hoover, or making the hoover smell funny, or blocking up the washing machine with hair off your blankets blah, blah, blah. But who cares, house bunnies are fun!! Very Happy If i had a room where Marley and Dolly could live other than my bedroom, Id love them to be house buns 24/7, but as they have to share my room, I do get sick of it being more like an oversized hutch, and stepping/tripping on their toys. House bunnies through winter suits me just fine, as I also know that they enjoy being outside in the warmer months.

You could be lucky, your buns may be an angel in the house. Marley is, as long as there are no cables in the way. Dolly is always finding new ways to annoy me or get me into trouble with the folks Laughing

My OH regularly makes grumbles/comments about how hay gets everywhere...and I mean everywhere! His floof does too and because it's so light it floats around a lot more (usually in to my eye No Laughing ) Other than the mess and the chewing I cannot think of a downside to having an indoor bun, I really think it helps build a good relationship as well as they're around a lot more you can interact with them a lot easier. So much so that many of my friends have been surprised at how Nibbler behaves indoors, and I've been told several times "he's more like a dog" ...though I think they just don't appreciate that buns all have their own personality, but I think that goes back to the misconception of rabbits being a "boring" pet.

dizzylynn wrote:We have floppy indoors, he has the kitchen to himself, put a baby gate up to keep him in & dogs out, he's calmed down a bit as we leave him all day to play with his toys getting attention everytime 1 of us go in. He still tries to climb but only once or twice, he's fell in the recycle bin 3 times, numpty. Only problem is you cant go in the fridge he's right in the veg section not stupid knows where its kept. Only time we put him back in his cage during the day is if were going to be out for a while or when cooking so he doesnt get burnt or in way, bed time is about 10 oclock he's happy to settle down after that, as long as hes been out most of the day.

^^definitely! Nibbler even knows the squeak of the fridge drawer, I can't go in there even secretly without him bounding over and trying to climb in the veg tray Laughing Nibbler has got a bad habit of standing right behind you when you're in the kitchen expecting food as well, the amount of times I've almost fell over trying to avoid accidentally hurting him No I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that a lot of rabbits have this habit (or are at least under your feet) so you've got to make sure you're careful when walking around so as to not hurt them, but I think you get used to that after just having them generally around. For example the other night I went to the loo half asleep, right behind our bathroom door we have a noticeboard, a white leaflet had fell off the board and in my half asleep state when I walked out the bathroom I thought it could have been Nibbler (even though he was in his pen for the night No ) and ended up doing a flying leap to avoid standing on it Laughing
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm

I think everyone else has already listed all the fab pros to having indoor bunnies. As long as your home is well bunny-proofed it is great for you all Very Happy

My Willow is terrible for sitting RIGHT under my feet. I am also quite adept and last minute leaps, stops and turns Rachel Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 pm

One big pro is illness is picked up faster as obviously you are spending more time with them and you get to know very quickly when they are acting off.

My major con is no matter how much you think you have bunny proofed ..... you haven't bunny proofed enough Laughing there is always a space they get in that you didn't think they could. Marshall loves to run around my feet and he darts out of NOWHERE just to trip me over haha

but it is the BEST having them indoors.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down