Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly season is coming. A few questions!

4 posters

Go down

Fly season is coming. A few questions! Empty Fly season is coming. A few questions!

Post by Thumper2001 Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

I have sticky fly catchers in Molly and Junior's room. They've been up since last spring/summer and have never caught a thing, but I'm wondering if I should replace them now because they've been up for so long.

They are still sticky, I know this because I got my hair stuck to one a few weeks back Laughing but I don't know if they lose whatever it is on them that is so appealing to the bugs. Does anyone know if I should? I realise a packet might tell me, but I keep forgetting to look for them when I'm out No

Also, last year I sprayed Molly and Junior with fly guard. Those of you who also do it, when do you start? Is it still a bit cool? I don't want to do it yet if its unnecessary.

Thanks Wave
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Fly season is coming. A few questions! Empty Re: Fly season is coming. A few questions!

Post by fiver Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I think they will still be ok if they are sticky as that is what kills them they get stuck on there Thumbs Up
but it sounds like you have thumper strips Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Fly season is coming. A few questions! Empty Re: Fly season is coming. A few questions!

Post by Thumper2001 Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm

I do! Laughing

I really wasn't amused by it at the time but I can see the funny side now Laughing

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm

I got one stuck to my arm when I put it up Laughing Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Was it like getting a wax? Wink Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 pm

ROFL ROFL
well it would not be my hair on my head would it Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11, 2013 8:23 am

They'll be find. It is the yellow colour that attracts the flys so as long as they haven't faded they'll still be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 am

I think it probably depends where you are and how many flies are around to say if it is too early or not. Myrtle was off her food for a bit when we used rearguard so I'm not using it anymore. We have also tried Xenex ultra, which works well but Myrtle started to get sensitive to it and was clearly irritated, also it has some nasty chemical in.

We have been recommended F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide, I think it can also be used to clean hutches, litter trays, open wounds and generally repel insects.

It is dangerous to cats though (as is xenex ultra). Has anyone else tried F10?
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat May 11, 2013 12:03 pm

I use F10 as I have snakes but never been a problem with the cats though have never used it in their trays however I don't see how it could be a problem as I bath my snakes using F10 soap.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:They'll be find. It is the yellow colour that attracts the flys so as long as they haven't faded they'll still be fine.
I didn't realise that, thank you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 12, 2013 12:22 am

paullp wrote:I think it probably depends where you are and how many flies are around to say if it is too early or not. Myrtle was off her food for a bit when we used rearguard so I'm not using it anymore. We have also tried Xenex ultra, which works well but Myrtle started to get sensitive to it and was clearly irritated, also it has some nasty chemical in.

We have been recommended F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide, I think it can also be used to clean hutches, litter trays, open wounds and generally repel insects.

It is dangerous to cats though (as is xenex ultra). Has anyone else tried F10?
I've used this with all 3 of my buns with no problems Smile
Fly season is coming. A few questions! Cb05f001
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down