Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours?

+7
SarahJane
dizzylynn
marleyNfriends
fall3n-ang3l
Father Jack
gentl
Thumper2001
11 posters

Go down

Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours? Empty Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours?

Post by Thumper2001 Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Just left in the bag?

At the moment Molly and Junior's is stored in the cupboard in our utility room but it's really starting to wind me up. I know it's my own carelessness, but the floor in there is 90% hay and it therefore gets dragged everywhere. I'm forever cleaning it up!

I have considered buying a bin to put it in but I thought some of you might have better suggestions Smile

Thanks Wave
[justify]

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours? Empty Re: Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours?

Post by gentl Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm

We leave ours in the bag. The bag has a few ventilation holes and we do not secure the top tightly closed so there won't be any mold or mildew develop. Sour hay smells!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours? Empty Re: Hay for pets hay/big bags of hay how do you store yours?

Post by Thumper2001 Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks, Holly.

I do leave the bag open Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Our special hay for us special buns who have the pleasure of living indoors where it's summer all year round have our hay stored in the big plastic sack it comes in. The outdoor buns have their bales stored in a big brown wheelie bin.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Thank you, Father Jack.

Maybe I just need to be less messy Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

I leave mine outside still in the bag,were I leave it,no sun gets to it and its been fine
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon May 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I keep mine in the shed, and when they were indoors i used to take enough to last a couple of days upstairs in big trug tubs (the bendy buckets) You can get them in all sorts of colours too Very Happy I also used to put it all in a pillow case, but it got messy as the hay used to stick.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Tue May 14, 2013 8:26 am

I bought one of they plastic garden containers think for bikes, I keep 1 bail of hay at 1 side straw at other on top of wood slats to let air under them, bulk pack of wood shavings sit inbetween. Need to get more today, once gets to bottom I bin that, been sitting to long.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 am

I have a plastic garden box that you put your cushions in etc, it fits an entire bale in it at one time, its fantastic.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/sheds-storage/garden-storage/storage_boxes/Blooma-Plastic-Deluxe-Garden-Storage-Box-Brown-11987677?skuId=12498383
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue May 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Mine stays in the bag on a shelf above their cage, the outdoors bunnies have their hay stored in a compartment under their hutch Thumbs Up
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Ours is in a canvas bag kindly made by a friend. It is in my bedroom however as we do not have much space here. Just means hoovering every day.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue May 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Mine stays in the bag, and hay constantly gets everywhere but I think it will be a battle I will never win.

I thought it was my carelessness that lead the hay to get everywhere (it sits next to Nibbler's pen) as I just step in/out to top his hay/give him his pellets but I witnessed Nibbler dragging the hay out of his hay holder and on to the floor of his pen, which then gets pushed out the pen/sticks to my foot as I go in there. I think it's a combined effort, constantly driving my partner insane Laughing
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks all!

I guess I just need to be less messy with it Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue May 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I used to keep mine in the garage, just in the bag but on top of a wooden pallet. That seemed to work well Thumbs Up

It still looked like I kept it in the house though... Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum