Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

+10
NickieM
KatieB
paullp
jolovesbunnies
Sparky
FluffSlave
gentl
fiver
Tuckerbunnies
BugsBunny
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

Post by Sparky Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I hope the vet trip went well and there's nothing to worry about Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm

How did it go?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi all,

Sorry I did not post earlier, been busy. He has caught his eye on something but had started to get a bit infected which I said to Hudad this morning I think it is so he has to have antibiotics and anti inflammatory for next few days. Also I mentioned his ear as he is kept scratching it and does not seem to like me touching it so the vet had a look and 1 ear inside had crust which she said indicates ear mites, the other ear is fine. Vet put some spot on onto him and I have 4 pepets of it to put 2 on in 2 weeks and 1 on in 4 weeks to get rid of them. I have to give him the other 2 things once a day. She also kindly clipped his nails for me as I asked her if she could check them and show me how to do them, she said they where not long but sharp and I now know how to do them so that is great.

He was such a good little boy, he is so sweet, he took the medicines from her no probs, seemed to like them in fact , well the 2nd one she asked me to hold him as he wont like it cos it taste horrible, to her surprise he om om omed it down, then she said wow and a second late he clapped his ickle paws together and come from his carrier as she did it all there ad the top we took off to get to him, he walked out of it and looked at me as if to say what the heck was that one, it tasted poop Humum :lol:and then went back in. The only time he was a bit of a monkey was when she put him on the scales again, she leant to them to place him and he was tyring to get away, then he ran off the scales and started getting away. she laughed, cornered him and got him onto the table safely again, she said it is like the great escape. Laughing.

Where she put the spot on it is a little pink, will that die down? or is this a reaction to it? also I noticed a big egg shaped poop he did, oly 1 , rest are fine, he did one of the two days ago too but only 1, should I worry?

He has a check up next Friday to make sure it has all cleared up. Cost us £81 total Shocked, I should have been a vet, they must  make a killing. I knew it would not be cheap but it is harsh at times.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Glad he is ok hunni. 

I'm not sure about he red patch - just keep an eye on it Hun! 

Bun medicine is so expensive - I'd deffo recommend insurance if you don't already have it .  Give him a nose rub from me :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:27 pm

im glad he is ok HugsHugsHugsHugsHugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:49 pm

I have insurance and ye it is, like any animal medicine, very expensive. I got told from my cousin tonight to be careful when claiming small amounts of excess on your insurance as they will put it up, she has petplan like me but for a her dog Kipper, he had to have an operation so she claimed back and it went up to £75 , it was excess of £30. Is this the case for all animals? I would only get £30 back but do not want to bother if it going to go up way too much. Want it in case we get even bigger vet bills. Fingers crossed we wont, I am hoping Dougal stays well and healthy but jut in case. Has anybody else claimed smaller amounts back and I am glad she told me. I am going to read my cover again, we have the cover for life with petplan. I did not realise the vets had my name down wrong and they spelt Dougal as Doogle so I will get them to correct it in case that affects any claims.

I wish I would have trained to be a vet, could have sorted Dougal out myself and made a nice living Laughing.

Thanks Fiver. Very Happy
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:36 am

Sending healing vibes for your little guy!  Hugs:hugs:for you!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 am

Re Insurance. Over the last few years I've had  11 policies and claimed on 9 of them. most are with Pet Plan but some with Pets @ Home. With Pet Plan I'm 99% sure the premium doesn't rise with a claim and the excess only seems to rise with the age of the rabbit. ie younger rabbits = £55 excess, over apx 4years = £75, over 5 years = £90 (might go up steeper but between 5 & 6 is the oldest I have insured with them.  I'm not sure about the premium rising with P @ H as I made a small claim of about £25 off them for Eloise and her renewal was £92 (previously £80) yet Barnaby is the same age and premium same as last year .. no claim,  both < 2years old on renewal, yet Artie was 8.5 years on renewal and his insurance was just £98 and I'd claimed £1000 from them!!

Edit to add: The insurance claim with Pet Plan would be 'per condition' so if your vet trip was for 2 conditions then it would have to be at least the excess for either condition to make it eligible for claiming.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:34 am

We are with Petplan and with my poorly lot I claimed up to the limit for both Charlie and Annie last year.  The excess remained the same at renewal and the policy only went up by a tenner a year.  I thought that was good since is had £4000 out of them .
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:34 am

How is the little guys eye today hunni?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:39 pm

I need help, I have tried the syringe for Dougal but with my husband more or less blind he cannot hold him still and get him fast enough due ti his health. I put both meds in a sherrdy, 1 shreddy per medicine and he just will not eat them. I have mixed them with herbs, romaine lettuce, pellets, grass and he will not eat them, they are in bits and a bit mangled now but should still have most the meds on. What should I do? get my dad to hold him and do another dose right into the mouth? I have wasted 1 dose and it is antibiotics and anti inflammatory so I am worried now his infection wont go, really stressed and Dougal is just stressed being chased around and trying to get himto eat it in his bowl etc.

His eye has been looking better too, not completely but it has deinfately improved, it wont if he wont take his meds though.

I have no pineapple juice to put it in and really do  not know what else to do, I guess that dose is wasted, he needs his full lot , ther's not a lot more to give, only couple of days worth, my husband suggested putting it in water but there's 2 lots so cannot mix it and Doiugal is not stupid, he will not drink it, I just know it,

I am so mad with myself and the stupid meds and poor Dougal, I want him to get better and I am just causing stress for him, even though he is lead down chilled out now.

How about a small piece of banana mushed with it or somehting? I do not want to try too much as he has had quite a few things already, afraid I am going to upset his stomach.

thanks for the info on the insurance, so it would be worth claiming it then wouldnt it even if it is under £30?
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Just let Dougal settle and calm down awhile and try giving him his meds again later, obviously by mouth is better as it's quicker and you know they have had it but you could give it him in a bit of mashed banana yes. Or on a little bit of bread if he will eat it. It can be mixed with baby food. I have even syringed the meds in to a raisin before today and it did get eaten Smile

We sometimes cradle bunnies like a baby if we are having problems getting medicine in them and this way we find it a lot easier with a problem bun that won't take their syringe meds. 

Always syringe bunnies meds on a work top and not on the floor as it's to easy for them to run off.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Sending MEGA vibes for you and Dougal!  I hope you can get the medicine down him w/o too much difficulty. HugsHugsHugsHugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks, he is too clever, he knows what I am doing he is calm but had to mash the shreddies in with it as that has the meds in but no joy at all HBWS

I do not know what to do, we have no baby food and I have a raisin in a bag of mixed nuts but he is only 5 months old, I just do not know what to do, I can't give it alone , my husband cannot really hlep and he does not like being picked up, working o that thugh, he is upstairs in a bedroom.

It is great advice though, just wish I could do that.

Last edited by BugsBunny on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Thanks, he is too clever, he knows what I am doing he is calm but had to mash the shreddies in with it as that has the meds in but no joy at all HBWS

I do not know what to do, we have no baby food and I have a raisin in a bag of mixed nuts but he is only 5 months old, I just do not know what to do, I can't give it alone , my husband cannot really hlep and he does not like being picked up, working o that thugh, he is upstairs in a bedroom.

I didn't realise he was only 5 months old he's just a baby Love

I bet Sparky's huparents would help you if they are not that far away from you, I don't know how close they are to Darwen scratch

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 pm

He's a little tinker, isn't he? Wink

Give us a ring and Humum will come over. We'll PM our number again Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I knew Sparky's Huparents would help they are like that LoveLove

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi hunni, the best way I find is to pop the bun on a blanket on the side.  Keep the bun under your arm with a firm grip and use free hand to give syringe.  

I will get some pics when I do Charlie later x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks everyone, I am just making tea and doing a few things then will ring Sparky. I am trying to wait an hour to see if he eats it and yes he is a mighty clever tinker and only a baby, I wont have gven him any problems stomach wise with what I have tried will I? I fear he is having too much at once, he does not like the banana , what a tinker.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Humum's going to have a bath so if you give her a ring after about 7.15 she'll come over armed with some yummy things and a stern expression Laughing

Nothing you have given him should upset his tummy, she might have some pro-biotics to bring as well just in case....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks, you are s super star, so kind of you, I do not want to put you out, that works out well as this Humum is making hers and hudads om om atm. Sent you a PM hun, ring you after then.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Finally he ate the things with it on, trouble is the little bugar had that much I am worried he will have a bad tummy, he just pooped and was fine but the things I just gave him have no digested yet. I have never known any pet as hard to get meds down lol. What a monkey, he is so good for his age in every other way so he has to have some faults, I guess it is humums punishment for taking him to the vets other day lol. II gave him a small bowl with dried naturals herbs in mixed the squished shreddies with the squished mangle banana in with it and little monkey still ate around it and spat the bit out, arghhhhhhhhhh, what a evening, in the bed I wrapped the  last bit in some more herb leaves, squashed it into a small ball and shoved it in-front  of his mouth and I said now eat it all and he did. On top of all this while I was making tea and running up and down, tone of the pans burnt, I got hot cooking oil splash into my eye and a bit if glass in my foot. What a poop  evening I have had, atm I am shattered and got a headache.

Dougal has no idea how stressed his humum was and how tired she is and how worried I was about him, he just binki danced at me after begging for pellets after everything the piggy just ate lol. Gotta love them though, he is so damn cute and so damn clever. I said " oh yer happy with yourself now arnt  you, you monkey, you only did it for more treats didn't you and he binked again".

On a good note he has not been his binky self lately, at least he is tonight, just hope in the end he did actually get at least some of his meds down him buy the time it had soaked into stuff and on my hands.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:41 pm

What are the meds he has?

Is one of them Loxicom (also know as Metacam)? If so, I have never known a bun who does not like this. Poppy turbo-sucked hers out of the syringe after her spay and wanted more Laughing Humum normally draws that into the syringe then waves it under the bun's nose until they get the smell from it - they'll often then taste the end of the syringe so you can start gently squirting it in - once they get the taste they usually gulp it down.

If the anti-biotic is Baytril, that tastes foul to rabbits. It has been made liver-flavour to suit cats and dogs. Can you imagine a more disgusting taste for a rabbit than liver? pale There's not much that will disguise the taste either. Humum does not let any of us have that any more, but the best way to do that would be to syringe it straight into his mouth and not take any nonsense. There's a technique to doing so which is hard to describe, so if you struggle with it tomorrow give Humum a shout and she'll come and show you how. People do recommend drawing some water into the syringe too and say their rabbits take it a bit better like that, slightly diluted, but we've never tried it.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Yep those are the ones, he loved them at the vets well except from the one for dogs once he got the taste properly, he sniffed the end of the syringe but then ran from both of them, I tried the tasty 1 first too.

Maybe it is because he remembers the 2nd 1 , plus it is not easy to give it in  his room, not tons of space as he has a lot of stuff on there and his cage is big , okay for him but no good for humum and hudad.

Do not worry, I will put you on speed dial just in case Laughing, but seriously thanks Sparky I will for sure if needed trust me, especially after tonight, I was going to ring and say heeeelp but he finally had it, my dad is going to come up and help me if he can , if not and it is too stressful for Dougal I will phone you and you can show me what you mean hun. I may be able to squirt it a bit so he gets the taste if he goes to it. If I could pick him up without him fighting me which I am working on then I could put him on the kitchen table but that is a no go atm. I think it has stressed me way more, I have not had the most fun and lucky day really with everything else. just one of those days.

I do not blame Dougal i, he cannot help hating the taste of them and he is a brilliant good boy for everything, for his age especially so he has has to have a fault, this is it I think, the meds, even with his worming paste I had to disguise it well.

I am stressed cos I worry about his eye and infection, and if he does not have the meds as he needs them that it will get worse, so I panic, I am a natural worrier anyway me. I am stressed with myself not being able to do it too, but should hopefully be okay tomorrow with hugrandad, fingers crossed. If not, I have my bunny hero on speed dial.

Oh and what do you get the vets to give you instead of the stupid one for dogs and cats? what do you ask for?
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Daisy takes his metacam straight from the syringe..... The baytril we have to chase him and for ..... He's been having it for 3 years.... Yet still we chase... Every day.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next