Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday?

+7
KatieB
Sparky
FluffSlave
Amelia66
Thumper2001
gentl
Zo
11 posters

Go down

Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday? Empty Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday?

Post by Zo Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:20 pm

I really want to go away this year but I struggle with what to do with Hector, I could go to our caravan with a friend and leave Hector with my parents but I like to sit and read a lot when I'm on holiday so I don't think I'd be good company (plus I'd have to drive on the motorway and that's not going to happen!)

I worry about him a lot, we have a really strong bond and he hates if I'm away overnight, I worry that the combination of me being away and him being in a strange environment would be so stressful for him.

I could take him to my sister's, but the problem is that she is likely to not listen to what I tell her to do because she thinks I'm being ridiculous. The other option is that he goes to a close family friends, they have no other pets (sister has a dog and guinea pigs), they live in a quiet neighbourhood, they would listen to what I told them to do, they also love Hector and the husband really wants a house rabbit. But then I worry that because they're not bun savvy they might not notice if he is unwell :/
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday? Empty Re: Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday?

Post by gentl Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 am

I'm in the USA so other that Tuckerbunnies excellent boarding, I don't know. We had one rabbit, Lady, that loved to travel. She loved meeting people and liked looking out at the scenery. When we stayed in a hotel room we put her in the collapsible cage we brought when we slept and of course brought her litter box. Most rooms had all their wires and cables all tidied.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday? Empty Re: Where do your bun's go when you're on holiday?

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Molly and Junior go to my parents, as did Thumper.

My parents don't have any pets and do not want any but my mum has always loved looking after my buns in the short term. When I pick them up after my holidays she's all "Bye bye, be good! You can come and stay for your holidays again" Laughing

Of course I'm always worried when I leave them. As good as my mum is with them she's not "bunny savvy" like we are. She always let them run rings round her Laughing But the hardest part for me is always the leaving them part. Once OH has managed to drag me away and I get the first report from my mum that they are fine, I relax!

Are there any bunny boarding places around you? There's one the other side of the city from where I am and if my mum couldn't take Molly and Junior I would check it out.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm

My parents would look after them if/when i need them too. my mum is all for feeding pets but not cleaning them out and takes no notice of what i tell her [she seems to just want to feed them all the time.] My dad however is willing to do what i tell them and he tells my mum off for doing something i have not specified :lol:so he keeps and eye on them and her, he also cleans them out.

I always think they aren't bunny savvy, but because they have had interacting with them and knows their norm there have been a few times i have come home and hes telling me he has given them some pro c as they seem a bit 'off' So maybe if you do leave them with someone you just need to let them spend some time with him while he is absolutely fine so they have something to compare too.

You always think they are going to miss you, but i guarantee after one night and someone else feeding him he will probably be fine
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

I also leave my guys with my mum/sister.

I worry a lot when I'm gone as I know that they have totally different attitudes towards what is absolutely necessary, but I think my mum DOES know at heart when any animal is off. She knows all of their personalities quite well and she would have them to the vets if needed.

I'm going away for a few days with my family and for a week with my boyfriend this summer and I am dreading it so much, because I hate leaving them too. But I'm sure Hector and all of my fluffs will be fine with someone else! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:14 pm

If I have to send them away mine go to a cattery that is run by a vet nurse. She feeds them brussel sprout tops and lets them run up and down outside the cat's runs to taunt them - they love it! Normally I try and get my neighbours to come in though.

You could try this place - http://www.bunnyhopsboarding.co.uk - it certainly looks ok from the pics (apart from the woodshavings).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm

When we need a holiday we send the Hu-parents away somewhere and ask nice Uncle Steve from next door to come in and feed us.

Layla loves Uncle Steve because last time they were away he accidentally gave Jack and Layla double rations ROFL
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Mine all go to Johns when I go away, which is the only way I can relax!

If I were you I'd go with the friends hunni. You could always give them your phone no if they were unsure of anything along with the number for the vet . You could give them a list of things to look out for.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 pm

I forgot to mention that!! My mum gets a Molly And Junior User Guide Embarassed Laughing She didn't need it with Thumper because they pretty much shared a house for years, mum knew her well!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 pm

It depends where Im going and how long for. I went to London with Mum a couple of years ago and they stayed with someone from a different forum as I couldnt trust Dad to look after them properly.

Ive just been away for 3 days and Mum has looked after them for me. I put their veggie rations into food bags for Mum to wash and feed as well as instructions and a number for Maysie and Mike.

They will be going to stay with Maysie when I have my surgery though, as they need looking after for longer and my parents will have other things to worry about. My biggest concern is that they are with someone that knows how to spot any problems and what to do. My parents wouldnt be so great at that. x
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:43 pm

I think the only other place I'd be happy with is a hopper. I wish Tuckerbunnies was closer to me!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Ditto katie! Maysie, if you feel like moving further south I definitely won't protest!!

Cheryl, it looks nice but I would want him in Milton Keynes, because that's where our vets is, plus I'd find it so weird leaving him with a stranger!

I think the family friends are the best option, at least they will listen to me, and they have a huge living room for him to run in (and I mean HUGE)
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Having said that, this place looks quite good, she works at the vets I take Hector to as well.
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 am

Katieb wrote:I think the only other place I'd be happy with is a hopper.  I wish Tuckerbunnies was closer to me!

Aww wish we were Hugs 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:39 am

No... Come north! Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:55 am

Laughing Laughing 

We are lucky as our vet recommends us to people with sick buns that are going on holiday and their bunnies need medication and so they book in with
us and we continue their rabbits treatment while they are on holiday. We have a few in at the moment on medication, metacam and eye drops .
We have blind bunnies and deaf bunnies stop with us and they all learn us something.
I sometimes feel like I am like one of those nurses that go round the wards with the medications at night Laughing Laughing 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:29 am

Florence nightingbun :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 am

Katieb wrote:Florence nightingbun :-)

That made me look at my Florence. It sent a shiver down my spine!

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:51 pm

T and MJ went to a colleague of Eds when we went on hols last year, earlier this year they went to Buddies (which is where MJ came from). Thats where they will go when we go on holiday later this year.

We got to hold baby bunnies when we picked them up from Buddies Love 
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Put it this way, last time our hu-parents went on holiday, humum left her car key behind.........Wink Wink 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:
Katieb wrote:Florence nightingbun :-)

That made me look at my Florence. It sent a shiver down my spine!

Laughing Laughing 
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down