Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stray Bunny!

5 posters

Go down

Stray Bunny! Empty Stray Bunny!

Post by Bunbuns Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Last week when my parents took the dogs for a walk, there was a black and white bunny in the park Shocked

They spoke to a lady who said that the day before she had put out a carrier with some food in to try and catch bunny and when she came back someone had pinched her carrier and bunny was still loose!

Anyway, my parents walked the dogs there today and bunny is still there, sitting in the same place Shocked Bunny sits by some bushes and hops in there when anyone gets too close. I'm going with them tomorrow to see if i can catch him.

Any tips guys?
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Stray Bunny! Empty Re: Stray Bunny!

Post by racheld69 Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:42 pm

people are such Mad nicking the frickin carrier!
Maybe get some rabbit biscuits and sweet smelling fruit? you could ask a local rescue if they have a trap you could borrow? Shocked
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Poor bunny.

When BJ was loose in our garden we caught him by getting a washing basket over him. Or you could try a large towel. Obviously you need to get close enough in the first place Hmmm

If I was really determined I think I would take along some of our run panels and an assistant(s) and try and coerce bunny into a run.

I am sure the RSPCA would lend a cage to trap the bunny too.

Good luck.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 pm

The local rescue were contacted and they said they couldn't come out and catch it but they would take it if someone else caught it Rolling Eyes

Mum said it looked quite tame but hopped away as soon as anyone got within a couple of feet! I shall go armed with lots of bunny treats. Hope its still there, can't believe its been there for over a week!
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ratface Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 pm

You can get humane/live rabbit traps, if bun isn't huge - perhaps put in a corner and covered with a jumper or something to make it look more like a little burrow/bolt hole, then filled with something yummy?
ratface
ratface
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Couldn't find bunny today Sad

We spoke to someone who works there and he said that there are about 3 bunnies living wild there Shocked

The RSPCA were called but they said they don't have enough man-power to help!

I'll keep looking and i'll try and get hold of a humane trap.
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Poor thing! When Truffles and Tibbler escaped recently we managed to recapture them using the run panels for Tibbler and throwing a towel over Truffles.

How big is he? You can buy humane squirrel traps at most garden centres, or the cats protection league sometimes lend out cat-sized ones.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:30 pm

KathyT wrote:Poor thing! When Truffles and Tibbler escaped recently we managed to recapture them using the run panels for Tibbler and throwing a towel over Truffles.

How big is he? You can buy humane squirrel traps at most garden centres, or the cats protection league sometimes lend out cat-sized ones.

My parents said he was quite small.

I'll have to try and hide it so it doesn't get pinched like the other lady's carrier Rolling Eyes

I'll see what i can do, it doesn't look like anyone else is gonna try and help them Crying or Very sad
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Try watching stray bun for a while, see if s/he has a favourite bush, then hide the trap in there and cover it with leaves etc. That will mean s/he's more likely to go in, and no-one will see it to pinch it. Maybe if you get a trap, you could let your bunnies play round it for a bit - stray bun might be attracted to the scent of other rabbits.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:34 pm

the rspca lend out carriers too. are you sure its not a baby from a domestic rabbit that has got out and bred with wild ones? near me there are black rabbits and also near the rscpa i volunteer at there are a load of wild baby bunnies with one bright, and i mean bright, orange one - there is an animal farm for children to visit near there and over the years some have got out and interbred - including a bright orange one that now has bright orange babies!!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: