Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a bonding question

+4
FluffSlave
KatieB
Father Jack
barsac
8 posters

Go down

a bonding question Empty a bonding question

Post by barsac Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi guys.
I know there are literally hundreds of posts surrounding this subject and we have both spent a long time researching this subject.  We would love your advise to the given situation that im about to describe. Thanks for taking the time to read this so far  Smile

We have a bonded pair named frank and betty. They are both around 18 months old and have very much formed a solid relationship. For ages my other half has said 'wouldnt   it be so nice if form a little group' and for a while i said no way but after much nagging,  i warmed to the idea. So we began researching and looking for a new baby! we have read so many different views on bonding a trio and what works best with regards to sex. And came to the conclusion that it reakk6 depends more on the personality of the bunniesrather than the sex! Anyway we have found a gorgeouse little lionhead cross netherland dwarf! He is a boy, very very cute indeed.
So we have now brought the new chap home (Ted) ! He has been given a home in the large kitchen which consists of a dog crate base but will free roam kitchen. We now need to bond the three bunnies together .
Frank and betty live together in the lounge with a large dog crate as base but we never lock them in so they have run of the lounge all the time. I will give you a brief description of their personalites.....
Frank- frank can be a bit of a recluse, he is nervous and grumpy but also calm natured . He lets betty boss him about and is a bit of a wet blanket ! Sometimes betty over grooms him which has actually caused a sore on his back Sad

Betty-betty is very sure of herself , and loves her cuddles but hates being picked up. She is always the one to check out new things first. She can be a bit grumpy sometimes too but generally speaking we have a pair of lovely bunnies. Given your experiance. How would you proceed? We have introduced them by placing teds cage in the hallway and so far the response is positive. Just a bit oc chinning and sniffing. Frank seems to be more interested than betty at this stage. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Regards Nathan and Laura
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

a bonding question Empty Re: a bonding question

Post by Father Jack Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm not aware of any successful trios with two bucks and one doe Hmmm 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi Nathan and Laura ! Welcome to HH! think it's rare for there to be two bucks and one doe - I think they are quite likely to fight :-( with a doe in the mix sadly. The other way around is more likely to work - that said I don't think anything is impossible.

I'm not a bonding expert but hopefully someone who has more experience will be along soon who can help you and give you some actual advice :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 am

Hiya thanks for your reply . I have had another person tell me that 2 bucks 1 doe = disaster but I have also heard ppl saying its down to individual rabbit personality too :s I dont know why but I have a gut feeling that betty would of hated another girl coming along and asfranjks a wet blanket I feel he may take to the new arrival! I guess time will tell !we put the newbies cage in the hall last night and allowed them all to investigate each other through the bars and I thought frank seemed quite impressed with his new friend so far . However betty seemed to be not too bothered . She sniffed and then went and sat back down . Think we may do this activity for a while before letting them all get their paws on each other .
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:06 pm

If you are intent on bonding them as a trio make sure you do so in a completely neutral area for the best chance of success.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:59 pm

father jack is right - start by cross scenting them all over a few days and having them somewhere so that they can be close to each other without being able to get to each other.

Then try them in neutral territory. A lot of people use the bathroom :-)

keep a good eye on them and make sure things dont get nasty.

Wishing you oodles of luck guys!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Thankyou Smile we have ted in the hallway again(in his cage) and frank went and sniffed him and peed on the floor next to the cage. Betty had a sniff too but now Teds asleep in his cage, franks sleeping in his castle and bettys asleep on her usual spot. Will keep letting them have small meetings and then let them meet properly in neutral bathroom. Will keep everyone posted !
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Please do !

I really hope this works out for them :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Fingers crossed for you all! Keep us updated Very Happy Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Everything crossed here too love, I hope it works out.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

i would just add are they all neutered/ spayed? im sure they are but there would be no chance if they are not Smile
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Sending positive bonding vibes!  Good luck!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Good luck Wave 
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 am

Frank and betty are altered but ted is only 12 weeks old so he is still entire. But as soon as he hits 16 weeks he will be off to the vets. We are not planning on letting all 3 meet properly untill ted has been altered and hormones have subsided .
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Ok so a little update ! Disaster struck last night Sad we had ted in his cage in the hall again. Frank went over and ted flopped along side him and they sniffed again but then ted nipped and frank scratched teds nose Sad A bit later betty went over and ted flopped in his cage and started kissing her through the bars a bit which betty seemed quite calm about. Frank looked on but didnt react atall but unfortunately betty then turned on frank and they had a fight. I was so upset . I put ted back in the kitchen area where he lives and then helped my other half split frank and betty up Sad It was horrible watching them fight I felt awful. They calmed down though and about 15 mins later they were grooming each other.
I now feel that atempted this bond with the 3 is a massive no no as I will not put frank and bettys relationship in jeopordy. Both of them have seemed a bit moody with me today ...maybe im being paranoid but do u think its because they can smell ted on me ?
We now have a dilema...do we sadly try and rehome ted which I dont want to do because the little fella is soooo lobing and friendly and I Love him to bits.
Or do we keep ted as a single bunny and keep him company alot but I worry he will get lonely Sad
Or do we wait till hes had his neuter done and find him a wife of his own ?
Does 4 house bunnies sound a bit crazy ? 2 in lounge and 2 in kitchen ???
I feel so selfish for even wanting a third now Sad(
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Trios are a nightmare. And any combination of male and female groups which has more than one male in them usually end up in fights. I would suggest that the best option for Ted is to find him a female partner. Whether he stays with you or whether you decide to rehome him is very much up to your finances and the practicality of the space in your house.

As for the behaviour - it can take a good couple of days for behaviour to subside after the invader bun is removed.

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Yea I thought they may be grumpy because of the intruder . Just given them some treats and they seemed to like me then Smile I dont think a 4th bun would cost too much more than 3 ....obviously vets bills would be more but then I would never skimp on those sorts of things as its a necessity. Ted has a huge dog crate in the kitchen but is never shut in so a new wife would move in there eventually . We would keep a new wife in a spare bedroom until they are bonded. And frank and betty can continue with the run of the lounge. I would like to see if ted can pick his own wife from a rescue centre if we can do that eventually .
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Sounds like referred agrression Sad hope theyve settled down... I personally wouldnt attempt a trio
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Yea it does Sad its a shame it doesnt look like its going to work .
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear that hunni? How are things? Have they settled at all?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Smile I havent even attempted letting them near each other again yet. It was too upsetting watching betty turn on poor frank . I wish someone could take them away and send them back all loved up ! Atm my evenings are spent in between the two rooms making an equal fuss of them all :/
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Sometimes its just not worth upsetting a bonded pair by trying to introduce a third bunny....
Two pairs arent really much more work
Hope things have calmed down and hope youre ok after the trauma Hugs 
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by barsac Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes things have calmed down now teds being kept out the way Sad poor thing. Frank and betty are grumpy . I dont really know wot to do Sad
barsac
barsac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: