Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often do you clean your hutch ?

+5
Bex
Laura
DixieLuBun
Snowy
Lola_Lotta
9 posters

Go down

How often do you clean your hutch ? Empty How often do you clean your hutch ?

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi,

Just wondered how often you clean out your hutch/cage ?

Being nosey, lol.

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

How often do you clean your hutch ? Empty Re: How often do you clean your hutch ?

Post by Snowy Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 pm

All my hutches and cages are cleaned out every day from top to bottom
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

How often do you clean your hutch ? Empty Re: How often do you clean your hutch ?

Post by DixieLuBun Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:05 pm

I have to clean the litter daily and the bottom part of Dixie and Lupins Hutch gets a quick sweep through at the same time, upstairs gets a hoover every other day as they have carpet and blankets up top. Dolly and Sox must get cleaned every day as he sprays every where and then the hutch gets a power wash once a fortnight. In general litter is every day and cleaned every other. The same goes for the foster buns living indoors as well.
It doesn't take long when you get into it, just takes longer rounding the bunsters up after free range round the garden, hence the fact I have no Sunflowers left.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I make the little monster do it himself, he's a big boy now! Laughing
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bex Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:19 am

Mine are in a shed but litter trays daily, and every two days everything is hoovered, swept and washed out. The floor gets mopped weekly Smile

Bex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:13 am

I clean out the litter trays every day, and change the bedding every other day. Then once a week both hutches and the run get a mega blitz with hot water and all their toys and furniture gets disinfected.

I'm possibly a bit over protective but I do worry Smile
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:18 pm

I change their litter tray daily (or rather teenage son does - in return for being about to use the PC in the morning before school)! They mess in their bed and eat most of their bedding, so it isn't much to do.

Clean the rest of the hutch weekly, but they are very clean everywhere else other than their bed. They live outside all day and have a 'poo corner' where they do their poos during the day.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:39 am

I do Evo's "poo tray" every day, and clear out any soiled hay etc. Everything gets taken out for a mega clean once a week.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am

Litter tray and sweep every day and full clean once a week.
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi everyone,

So sorry but I think I am missing something. I have only had my rabbits since Bank Holiday Monday end of August, first rabbits I have EVER had - I was not told about a litter tray ? Am I supposed to have one ?

TIA

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

I bought a cat litter tray from Tesco which pretty much fitted into the bedroom part of my buns' hutch. Put in some newspaper and their hay and then if they are like my buns and pee and poo in their bed, it is easy to lift out, empty, and replace with clean paper and hay. Saves scraping out loose stuff with a brush.

It depends where your bunnies like to do their toilet. If they do their toilet in the sitting area, you might need to have another tray there.

My buns are loose outside in a compound from 7.00 am until dusk. They get greens at night and hay and probably by early morning, have eaten most of their bedding, then do their toilet. In the morning they get out, then they use the corner of their compound for the rest of the day until bedtime. It depends how long your buns are in the hutch and where they choose their toilet area to be.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:09 am

Hi,

Lola seems to do her business downstairs in a corner where a tray would fit but Lotta does it upstairs in the corner by the slope so a box wouldn't fit. I tend to just pick those sections up everday and re-do it and then do the rest once a week. They are out of their hutch in a run for about 3-4 hours a day approx.

thanks for replying
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down