Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think it might be the end of the road for Molly

2 posters

Go down

I think it might be the end of the road for Molly Empty I think it might be the end of the road for Molly

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:42 pm

She’s had a horrible week.

Her left back leg is so far under her she’s peeing on herself. I’ve had to bath her 3 times this week. She’s having to lie down to wash and she’s struggling to do it. Her eyes are so gunky because she can’t clean them properly. I have done it for her of course but it is telling to me that they’re so messy. On Thursday she slept the whole day. Right from when I put eldest out to school until tea time. She adjusted herself a few times but that’s it.  She’s struggling with her cecals also so when I saw one lying beside her on Thursday I moved it to save her getting it stuck to her. To move it I had to left her back leg and she didn’t even flinch Sad

I’ve just bathed her and she’s currently sitting under one of the garden chairs. Probably plotting my demise.

She’s not really played with her toys either. She’s had a hay tunnel all week but it’s still got a fair bit on it. She’s given up with the box.

Reading all that it’s a no brainer that she’s had enough. BUT...

Molly is still very interested in food. Which is making this very difficult for me. How can I have her PTS when her internal clock is still telling her at 8:30 and 20:30 that it’s banana and metacam time? She makes efforts to come through to the living room some nights to make sure I haven’t forgotten to give her her tea. It sometimes takes her a good few minutes, but she drags her butt from under the dining table every morning to ask for her breakfast.

This is so damned hard Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

I think it might be the end of the road for Molly Empty Re: I think it might be the end of the road for Molly

Post by woodwench Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Sounds like you are in the hard spot we all know and dread. I've known that place only too well and too often. Only Toffee let me off lightly.
Dear old Molly. She's had a good life, boss of you and Junior. She trusts you to know when it's time... you know that, and I know, just as she does, that you will not let her down and that you will let her keep some of her dignity as befits a Queen.
I'm thinking of you both.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

I think it might be the end of the road for Molly Empty Re: I think it might be the end of the road for Molly

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Thank you for your kind words.
Dignity. This is something I’m struggling to get the 7 year old to understand. I’ve been having chats with him, to prepare him. But kids just think of themselves. I’m banging my head against a brick wall.
But yes, I know I need to do what I need to do. She’s been a bit brighter the last 2 days. Still sleeping a lot but with more spirit when she is awake. She seems very hungry but she’s barely eating hay.
I’ve made a few changes in her abode. She’s been parting the litter with her dragging around and when she was peeing it was on bare plastic so it was getting her every time. I’ve put a bit of vet bed over the litter so hopefully this will help. She’s dry today. But I also haven’t seen any pee today Hmmm
One day at a time Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:21 am

Reboot had an awful time trying to pee. He had arthritis in his spine and it caused a nerve to be trapped and that was the nerve that operated his bladder function so where some become incontinent Reboot got so he couldn't pee. Bodily functions can be a problem (even in ageing humans, I'm dreading it!). Poor Reboot was only 2 though.
I think, maybe, the answer to your problem with the 7 year old is to make it a fete accompli. When he's at school .... as long as he sees her afterward and can see she's at peace and without struggles. Saying "Goodbye" is very important, but sometimes, especially with children, it is kindest to make it "an after the event" thing. I know it sounds a bit rough/tough but it can save a lot of stress both for you and them. You have to go with what you feel is right and whatever that is it you have my sympathy.
Dear Molly. She and Junior were such a great couple... the Bonnie and Clyde of the rabbit world
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:59 pm

My vet thinks Molly’s issues are also spine related, rather than the leg itself.
Our schools are off now. Finished last Friday for 7 weeks Shocked

She’s not doing good. Was convinced yesterday that she would have to leave us this week but she has perked up a bit today. I can’t get her up on her back feet tho. Which will quickly start to cause aches in her upper body.
She is still so hungry tho! Which is making this all the more difficult Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:46 pm

It does sound like arthritis in her spine; or something very similar. Is she pooing okay?
It's never easy when things like this happen. I often wonder what the end was like for one of my wildies when they don't show up after a month or two. And now I am worrying about a young leveret who has spent the last couple of months growing up in my garden and is now going off doing big hare things. I feel all maternal and just know he's gone off too soon, he's all legs and big ideas and I'm so worried over him.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down