Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scanning in a head collar? U/D :(

4 posters

Go down

Scanning in a head collar? U/D :( Empty Scanning in a head collar? U/D :(

Post by Siona Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi

I had my new bun Dolly (adopted recovered EC P@H bun) spayed yesterday, along with Doris. Everything went fine with both, except for Dolly chewing her wound open while I was sitting in the waiting room waiting to collect them! Rolling Eyes
So another glue job and 24hrs observation later I've got her home and now she has to wear a buster collar until her check up on Tuesday - which she's not happy about.

The thing is, she keeps just sitting and scanning and I was wondering whether this is normal for bunnies in collars or if this is EC related?
If it is EC, is it a leftover from her original infection that she's left with for life, or a new symptom of reinfection? Should I start a new course of Panacur?

She has crashed into stuff a couple of times so she might have some periferal vision loss.

Last edited by Siona on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Scanning in a head collar? U/D :( Empty Re: Scanning in a head collar? U/D :(

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:28 am

Hmmmmmm well I don't know the answer to this one as I have never had a bun wear a lampshade. Sooz will be back soon and I am sure will be able to answer for you x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 am

Would I be right in assuming this was a problem she never experienced before the addition of the lampshade and also what colour are her eye's (if brown are they very chestnut)?

I am less inclined to think it's EC related without outward signs as EC related blindness usually presents with cataracts or as a result of a seizure. It could simply be she is finding her sight compromised and is having to make up for it by undertaking wider head movements to compromise with her loss of 360 degree vision or that she simply cannot understand why the head collar follows her whenever she turns her head.

Is the collar totally transparent?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:39 am

Sooz wrote:Would I be right in assuming this was a problem she never experienced before the addition of the lampshade and also what colour are her eye's (if brown are they very chestnut)?

I am less inclined to think it's EC related without outward signs as EC related blindness usually presents with cataracts or as a result of a seizure. It could simply be she is finding her sight compromised and is having to make up for it by undertaking wider head movements to compromise with her loss of 360 degree vision or that she simply cannot understand why the head collar follows her whenever she turns her head.

I agree with Sooz on this but I would also advise putting her on another course of Panacur as she is a known 'previous active EC' Bun. Stress (eg surgery) can mean a Bun carrying latent EC spores becomes 'EC active' again. Because of this I now always Panacur everyBun before neutering given that up to 50% of Rabbits will be EC carriers and we dont know which ones !! I have been speaking with an Exotics Vet on another Forum and she agreed with this protocol. She is also equally confused and frustrated with the lack of definative information about EC and the best way to control it !! She says this situation is unlikely to change in the forseable future due to lack of funding for more research Crying or Very sad

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:11 am

Sooz wrote:Would I be right in assuming this was a problem she never experienced before the addition of the lampshade and also what colour are her eye's (if brown are they very chestnut)?

YEs her eyes are a very chestnut colour and seem very bugged out, its part of her charm really but Ive never seen a bun with eyes like it.

The collar is pretty much transparent with lines running through it, but if I look through it it's a bit cloudy.

Jane - if I do another course, how long should it be - 9 days, 4 weeks or six weeks? If she has no active spores will it have an adverse effect to dose her?

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:17 am

I just wanted to add - I haven't seen her do this before the adition of the collar, no.

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 am

Siona wrote:I just wanted to add - I haven't seen her do this before the adition of the collar, no.

Then I think you can safely say the collar is causing the issue but of course if it continues after it's removal (for longer than may have been habit forming) it's worth looking into further. The reason I asked about her eye's is it's not just REWs who scan but rabbits whose eye's contain a lot of red pigmentation, such as chestnutish brown.

I agree with Jane about the Panacur, it's suspected that rabbit become more prone to developing active infections when they are immunocompromised such as after a operation. I would not use a course longer than 9 days if she is not symptomatic for fear of damaging her natural immunity to the protozoa.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Faunus Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 pm

I hope it's just the collar and that she doesn't need it for very long. Sending vibes.
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am

It looks like she might have some vision problems after all. I took the collar off for a bit yesterday because she got soaked in the rain, and she still sat and scanned.
She also wouldn't jump down from the sofa and was on there for over 2 hours, just leaning over. I think her depth perception is affected. I've started her on a course of Panacur but I think it's existing from her previous bout of EC. Sad

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 am

Is Dolly a Red Eyed White ?

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:58 am

Jack's-Jane wrote:Is Dolly a Red Eyed White ?

Janex

No, she's a bitza bunny.

Scanning in a head collar? U/D :( Image080

Apologies for the terrible pics, they're from my phone

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content