Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics

+12
March Hare
Happy Hoppers
Jazzy B Bunny
angelmouse
NickieM
McQueen
DixieLuBun
bigwig
racheld69
coco
rallybunny
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Empty The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:14 am

Someone found her at the side of a road in a carrier, she had a load of muesli chucked in the bottom on the 16th November.

She had a crusty thing on her head, like the skin is sliced away but has gone all weepy and crusty.

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant008
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant009

She had weepy eyes

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant003

Her ears were astonishing.
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant004
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant005

She looks like she has lost condition
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant006
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant011 (you can see the pus stuff from the wound on his head)

She had another of this crusty mass things on her belly
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant013
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant014

And a very dirty bum
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Giant015

She has since been to the vets who admitted and sedated her.

They cleaned her ears out - turnt out to be ear mites
Cleaned the wounds- from the ear mites
Flushed her tear ducts and inserted antibiotic capsules into abscesses she had in both front paws Sad

I took the story to both local papers.
Here are the articles:
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics 773493dc

Article reads:

A GIANT rabbit was dumped, with a serious head injury,
in one of the worst cases of animal cruelty seen by a rescue worker.

Christine Thomas, 18, took in the 3ft bunny the day after it was found abandoned in a pet carrier box with a bloody head, ears infested with mites and a damaged leg, in Porters Avenue, Dagenham.
She said the injuries sustained by the French Lop rabbit constituted the worst case she had seen, after dealing with up to 70 rescues in the past year.
The pet was operated on at the Animal Ark veterinary surgery, Goodmayes, on Tuesday and is expected to take months to fully recover.
Miss Thomas, of Reede Road, Dagenham, said "Maybe the owners put off taking it to the vet because of the credit crunch. Maybe they thought the only option was to abandon it"
"Rabbits are the number one abandoned animal in the UK. There are 36,000 rabbits put into rescue centres every year.
She thinks the people who dumped the injured animal, with muesli in the box, sunday night, may have dreaded the £100 operation cost.
Miss Thomas is studying animal nursing at Writtle College, Chelmsford and warned families against getting rabbits for young children. They are a popular present at Easter. She said rabbit owners were consistently given inaccurate information about vaccinations and had difficulty finding sufficiently large hutches of at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.
She added: "I reckon maybe they got hold of the pet at easter time, possibly for a child. "maybe when they got it they did not realise it would get really big"

Well, the vet bill was £285 not £100!! (i wish it was!)
I didnt say about credit crunch i just agreed it could be a factor, but at least it gets the point across!!

AND

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Bcdd57ae

The article reads:

Callous owners dumped giant rabbit by side of the road
Injured bunny is now on the mend

A RABBIT was found with horrific injuries, after its owners cruelly abandoned it in the street.
Christine Thomas took in the French lop after a woman phoned to say she had discovered the creature in a box by the roadside in Porters Avenue, Dagenham.
Christine, 18, who runs a rabbit rescue centre at her home in nearby Reede Road, is currently looking after 28 unwanted bunnies.
She said "It was the worst case of neglect i have ever seen. Her injuies were horrific. Her ears were oozing blood, she was covered in mites and crusty wounds, and there were abscesses on her paws."
The furry newcomer is now on the mend since Christine took it too the Animal Ark Veterinary Clinic in Ilford.
She thinks the owners may have abandoned their pet to avoid paying the cost of having it treated.
She said: "Its cost me £285 in vet bills so far, so maybe they didn't want to fork out the money- especially now there's a credit crunch.
"Or maybe she got too big for them She's huge - about 4ft long."
Christine, who is studying to be an animal assistant, says an increasing number of people have been abandoning their rabbits or handing them over to her during the last couple of months.
"A lot of people will buy one as a present for their child at Easter time, and then when it gets cold around this time of yearthey decide they don't want to go outside and clean the hutch. So they end up giving the animal away."
She said buying a rabbit was too easy and too cheap, and that pet shops needed to give better animal care advice to customers.
Despite its injuries, the rabbit is now looking much happier.
Christine said: "At first she was huddled in the corner of her cage as if she didn't want to be seen. Now she's having a sniff around and seems a lot more content."
To help raise funds to cover the rabbit's vet bills Christine is running a competition to name the bunny.
Each name suggestion costs two pounds.
To adopt one of Christine's rabbits call her: ********** (blanked out for obv reasons!)

Hopefully this will all raise awareness.
I will be doing a name the bunny fundraiser for her in the fundraising section xx

Last edited by Starlights Rabbit Rescue on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Warning to the title.)
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.freewebs.com/starlightsrabbitrescue

Back to top Go down

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Empty Re: The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:17 am

Today is a big improvement, she willingly came over and DEMANDED nose rubs from me :luv:

She is on Metacam, Baytril and Zantac Syrup. Having Aloe Vera rubbed on her scabs twice daily and honey syringed into abcesses twice daily. Here are some pictures of her tonight.

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny001

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny002

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny003

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny004

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny005

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny006

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny007

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny008

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny009

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny010

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny011

How cute is this pic?!
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny012

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny013

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny014

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny015

She was then very naughty and tried to pull my skirt off the clothes horse Shocked
The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny016

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Tiny017

Sorry about the quality of pics and excuse my penguin pjs!!
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics Empty Re: The Abandoned French Lop -WARNING- Graphic Pics

Post by rallybunny Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:10 am

Awww, she must be feeling a bit better if she is chilling out and playing with stuff. Well done you.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:37 am

poor gyal Sad

glad shes getting better! :luv:
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 am

she is gorgeous - how lucky she was found and got to you and is now on the mend.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigwig Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:28 am

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad The pics made me cry. So glad she is on mend and well done to you for saving her. Will you be keeping her ?

bigwig
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:05 am

bigwig wrote:Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad The pics made me cry. So glad she is on mend and well done to you for saving her. Will you be keeping her ?

No, eventually when she is fully healed and ready, she will be looking for a new home Smile
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLuBun Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 am

Well done you have done a fantastic job and making everyone aware that it's not just cats and dogs that get neglected (sorry if not spelt right). She looks a fab bunny and so much happier now she is with you. cheers I hope she finds a loving forever home when she is fit and well.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 638

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:15 am

I am glad this bun is on the mend and I am hoping my community can give you a large donation fee. I am still awaiting to hear from sooz to see if we can make that fee bigger.
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.goldenbunnies.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:25 am

She's a very lucky bun to have been found by you. There is no need to let an animal get into such a state as the RSPCA will take it in if you simply don't want it. No-one should get a pet without being aware the the responsibility for it is lifelong. I wish other people had as much compassion and conscience as you have.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by angelmouse Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:54 pm

She's lovely, no one should have let her get like that, well done you.

(on a side note, you might want to blank out the phone number in the picture too as its still readable in there)
angelmouse
angelmouse
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzy B Bunny Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Poor baby Sad she looks lovely, how could anyone let a pet get like that Sad
Jazzy B Bunny
Jazzy B Bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm

angelmouse wrote:She's lovely, no one should have let her get like that, well done you.

(on a side note, you might want to blank out the phone number in the picture too as its still readable in there)

I know... im not the brightest person Embarassed

I dont know how to either!!
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 pm

I can't wait to see pictures of her when she is all better, the change will be amazing. As draining as it is, I love the challenge of helping 'fix' a damaged rabbit....my two fosters are coming on leaps and bounds already Smile.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:11 am

She is coming on so well Smile

Next thing is to get weight back on her, she is so underweight =/
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:52 am

Bless her, she is SUCH a gorgeous girl :luv: ....and SO brave! I am happy to hear that she is improving so much......she looks loads better already!!! Very Happy

You are doing a FANTASTIC job with her!!!!! Very Happy
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:38 am

Oh my god I cannot believe the state of that poor girl. well done you for getting her sorted and I hope her previous owners die in a fiery yachting accident. HOW can people let a rabbit get to that state/!??!

By the way, you haven't blanked out your phone number on the second article....
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:00 am

buddabun wrote:Oh my god I cannot believe the state of that poor girl. well done you for getting her sorted and I hope her previous owners die in a fiery yachting accident. HOW can people let a rabbit get to that state/!??!

By the way, you haven't blanked out your phone number on the second article....

I dont know how!! Its okay!! All bunny mad here, so i wont get any "strange" phonecalls as such!!

Im hoping the articles may get people who know about her previous owners get in touch, however no luck yet Sad
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:49 am

oh duh sorry it was written above.

if you open the photo in paint and just draw a big black line through it?
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 am

Well done you that is incredible... lots of get well vibes for the gorgeous bunster! Give yourself a pat on the back hun xxxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Starlights Rabbit Rescue wrote:She is coming on so well Smile

Next thing is to get weight back on her, she is so underweight =/

I've been using a mix of pellets mashed with warm water & apple sauce, wheat-a-bix, banana, porridge and carrot peel and plenty of ready grass on my fosters and it's working really well. They both have a covering of flesh over their spines now which jutted out before.

They've been eating all they can manage for two weeks, I will evaluate them again after 4 and then adjust their diet appropriately.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:51 am

Oh that poor bun Sad Good for you for taking her in and getting her story into the papers. I can't wait to see how she comes along when she's all healed! Very Happy
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 am

Unfortunately yesterday Bramble had an ultrasound which showed a mass, today she had a x ray under light sedation, it shows fluid has leaked from something, it could be a abscess/tumour etc, its very serious, as she is very underweight, the only way to find out what it is and treat it is surgery, which she has very slim chance getting through, i have brought her home and will spend all day with her, tomorrow evening i believe i will pts as i think it will be unfair and too much for her little body, though she is strong in herself and a fighter, i believe now, she should go peacefully Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:03 am

I do believe with her compromised liver function she may not have long left even if she survives and recovers from the operation so putting her through such traumatic surgery would probably only improve her future both shortly and minimally. It's one of those situations where you need to take a step back and decide who your actions are really of benefit to....and it sounds like you have done this.

I know some people prefer to PTS before an animal has a chance to deteriorate but I am an awful one for 'what if's' and am not sure I could live with the uncertainty of not knowing how much 'quality' life I would deprive a animal of in this way. My personal preference is to wait until they tell me they have had enough though TBH I truely didn't find this as easy as other people would have had me believe.

Can I also suggest that you research the PTS methods and options now so you are prepared for what you need and want at the time. If Bramble's condition deteriorates and they cannot locate a vein when the time comes the other methods of PTS can be somewhat traumatic without proper prior sedation.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:22 am

Thank you Sooz, your reply really does put things into reality and makes me see the bigger picture. Im glad i went and brought her home 11:30pm tonight than have left her at the vets, she has been through enough, she should live out her last days peacefully, hopefully, my vet will agree the pts option isnt immediate and can be taken once its time.
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next