Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rabbit trouble.

4 posters

Go down

rabbit trouble. Empty rabbit trouble.

Post by Ronnie Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:06 am

I have 2 rabbits for my young son a lion head and a lopp. I have had them now for 2 months and have tried to get them used to us but no matter what I do the kick and scratch and TBH I am getting fed up with the injuries that I get everytime I try to move them to clean them out. every time u pick up one it makes this aweful screeching noise and they look scared to death when anyone approaches the hutch.My real worry is injury to my son which I will not tolerate from thenm and am now thinking if I cant stop this then they will have to go to make way for some more. I have had a frienwho keeps rabbits and they cant even help. so does anyone know what I can do... Help.

Ronnie
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

rabbit trouble. Empty Re: rabbit trouble.

Post by biscuitblossom Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:14 am

Well obvious questions are ; are they neutered?....how much time do you spend with them between cleaning out?,rabbits need to get used to being handled and used to humans being around.

How old are the bunnies?...rabbits get quite stroppy when they hit 'teenage' at about 6 months and neutering will help that.....are they girls or boys?

biscuitblossom
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 am

I spend on average over an hour a day with each rabbit petting them and feeding them. they are 4 months old and TBH are as bad as when we got them at 2 months. they are not neutered. i pick each one up and stroke them but am rewarded with very nasty scratches. I was even considering if a vet could remove their claws to help it getting to the point that the will have to go soon as I am now having no enjoyment keeping them

Ronnie
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by biscuitblossom Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:36 am

Do you know what sex the rabbits are?
Rabbits arent always the most cuddly pets ,remember they are prey animals and instinct tells them that if something picks them up its probably about to eat them.
You may well find they'll be more friendly if theyre out in a run and you let them come to you and you can stroke them and win their trust.
As for moving them to clean them out could you let them go into a carrier and move them that way perhaps?

biscuitblossom
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by foxyfaerie Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43 am

Rabbits are prey animals and as such the see being picked up as certain death; hence why they don't enjoy being picked up.

To be honest rabbits aren't good children's pets and it's a shame you weren't aware of this before getting them. Perhaps if they are given plenty of space to play in, and are spayed/castrated and slowly given time to get used to being around you - with all four paws on terra firma - they will become the wonderful family pets that rabbits are.

Just keep reminding yourself they are prey animals, and see things a lot differently to a cat, or dog; or you or I.

foxyfaerie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I have had rabbits for 25 years but these 2 femails are just impossible to befriend. I have tried for 2 months and there is absolutly no change in them.

Ronnie
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:41 pm

I too would suggest neutering as soon as possible. Females especially can get very moody (Hazel was just the same. She still doesn't enjoy cuddles but will tolerate being held for a few minutes at a time and comes over for the odd nose scratch).

I think it's all about them getting used to you at their pace. Obviously you do have to handle them at the moment to clea them out but if there was way you could shut them in their run or another area without having to physically pick them up off the floor it might keep them a bit calmer. Being picked up off the floor can be quite stressful for a bunny who doesn't like being picked up so it might just be that they keep associating you with being up high and scared.

Spending some time just sitting in their vicinity (reading a book or something to keep you occupied Smile) can help them realise that you're NOT out to kill them. They say when a rabbit is comfortable enough to ignore your presence then you are getting somewhere.

I was a bit frustrated when I got my Brunei buns as they were very skittish and I was used to my British buns who are not. I realise it's because they have had a life of people staring, prodding and poking them, with nowhere to hide. It is quite annoying when you expect a bunny to be all cuddly and snuggly and they just won't tolerate you. I certainly had a shock. But with time and patience (and neutering!!) they usually calm down and accept you. Mine are...

Good luck with them!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down