Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buuny treats - what do you give yours?

+3
senatorvass
Catsknickers
kitkatmoo
7 posters

Go down

Buuny treats - what do you give yours? Empty Buuny treats - what do you give yours?

Post by kitkatmoo Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:19 pm

Just curious what everyone gives their buns. I'm always a bit scared to try new things in case they're bad for him and I don't know.

He wasn't interested in strawberries or banana which one website suggested so he only really has choc drops (rabbit ones of course), brussel sprouts, carrots & wheatabix and then occasionally the odd rabbit biscuit we buy at Pets at Home but I can't help but think these are probably a rip off & I have lots of things he would like in my cupboard.

Anyone know if they can have ryvita & if so if there's some types I should avoid. Got loads of the stuff at home.
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Buuny treats - what do you give yours? Empty Re: Buuny treats - what do you give yours?

Post by Catsknickers Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Really anything a bun would naturally eat is a wise idea. Mine love banana and veg treats, but they also like the facy hays that you can get from people like the hay experts or pampered piggies. I wouldn't try Ryvita just in case, although I am sure that someone much more knowledgable will come along soon. I tend to avoid any non natural human foods as they just have such delicate tummies. I think the treats you can buy in pet shops are ok in small doses although none of my really like them that much. Give em tasty veg any day! Very Happy Sounds like you have some spoilt bunnies! Which is of course, exavctly the way it should be!Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Buuny treats - what do you give yours? Empty Re: Buuny treats - what do you give yours?

Post by senatorvass Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:26 pm

mine love curly kale! and strawberries & raspberries... raisins, grapes, alpen cereal (in small amounts) they do adore banana as well! and apple! and pear. And all different types of cabbage.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:26 pm

I occasionally buy them Wagg's Carrot Stick biscuits. But they only get one each every other day or so. They loved Lillyjente's biscuits and I am hoping that she will give me the recipe as they are not deprived bunnies who spend all day crying for their next fix. Please Please Lilly!!!!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:34 pm

oooh I want a rabbit biccy recipe!!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 pm

senatorvass wrote:oooh I want a rabbit biccy recipe!!

Me too Wave
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:14 pm

If its got leaf on it, Johns eats it. Occasionally he will have a bit of carrot or broccoli and sometimes a brussel but whenever I buy them for him, he turns his nose up so as a result he has loads of curly kale and spring greens every day, with a bowl of blackberries he eats at his leisure and his bowl of excel which he likes.

he eats grapes and strawberries occasionally. He has a small handful of bunny chocs, yog drops or milk drops every day and he always has these dandelion and fennel chew bars you get from tesco - natural ingredients. i hang it on his hutch door for him to have a chew on.

he is quite a fussy rabbit is johns. i did wave a tesco nacho at him the other day but he looked the other way pmsl although he did enjoy licking the empty fab lolly wrapper the other day that dd left lying around ha ha - he must have a sweet tooth.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Mine go mad for banana and Rory likes tomatoe and cucumber. Rory would eat aything I gave him though. If he hears me rattling a packet he is all over me, even jumps on my head to try and get some. He nicked a crisp when I wasnt concentrating once and another time he got his head stuck in an empty crisp packet. I know you should laugh but I am a cruel mummy.
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Mine love apples, they go nuts for them!
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 pm

We have a two apples trees and a pear tree. When the trees have fruit on them, if we go anywhere near that side of the garden, the buns are over waiting for a pear. They just love them. Holly used to be so funny if you gave her a pear. She had to find just the right spot to eat it in. She would run around with it in her mouth just looking for that perfect place.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 pm

MIne does that everytime he has something other than his excel pellets (am thinking of switching to a higher fibre pellet if anyone has any recommendations?) runs allround his hutch or run wih it in his mouth trying to work out where he wants to eat today.

Might try him on a bit of apple or pear later, see if comes round to that. He seized a human chocolate from a bag of them once as it went past his face, quickly got it out his mouth tho - think he'd have eaten the foil as well!! THat was when we got the bunny chocs & they are his favourite but thought something with higher nutritional value would serve him better. Greedy bun! - Are they all greedy I wonder!?!
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Absolutely! They are eating machines. It's instinctive cos in the wild they would eat until all the food was gone and if they got a bit podgy, it would be balanced by all the times that food wasn't so plentiful.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down