Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weather.

+3
coco
NickieM
dianeh
7 posters

Go down

The Weather. Empty The Weather.

Post by dianeh Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Well, I've just seen the brass monkeys packing up and heading off to sunnier climes, so I wonder what is the best for my new pair of bunnies.

As you may know they are 10 week old mini lops, they are in a hutch, off the ground and their nesting box is off the ground. The hutch is out of the wind up against a fence, but I'm a bit worried about the forecast low temperatures. I've not had chance to get a hutch hugger - I'm not sure if there is one for mine as it's actually a chicken coop. The nesting box has plenty of hay, their bottle is covered and as they are so friendly they do snuggle up when they go to sleep.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Diane.

dianeh
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

The Weather. Empty Re: The Weather.

Post by NickieM Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Sounds like you have done as much as you can do. You can pop an old blanket or tarpaulin over the coop or an old bit of carpet. My hutch has a piece of floor vinyl on the roof, then a large piece of carpet over the side of the hutch most exposed and a sheet of bubble wrap which is large enough to cover over the grill part of the door if it is raining heavily or very stormy.

As long as they are used to being outside, have plenty of hay or straw and enough to eat they should be fine. You can buy a snugglesafe which is a kind of device you heat in the microwave and it slowly releases heat. Mine don't have that and always sit in the outside bit of their hutch and ignore the nest box (which they use as a toilet). They have been outside in -10 degrees and have been absolutely fine.

You can check the bunnies' temperature by putting your fingers into their fur and feeling how warm they are. You will be amazed at how warm they can be.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 pm

thank you very much i will check them before i go to bed though.
Diane

dianeh
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 pm

also, snugglesafes are really good for keeping them snug and warm at night! they are mircowavable heatpads, and my two love theirs Very Happy.
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:36 am

yes, snugglessafes and old blankets with bubble wrap are my tips too. and lots of dry hay and straw so they can tunnel into a cozy nest.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 am

I read somewhere if you line a hutch with a thick layer of newspaper it adds 5 or 10 degrees of warmth through insulation so we do that under the straw etc in the winter.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

I was going to suggest bubble wrap as a hutch lining as well, and just keep an eye on them. Truffles developed gut stasis as a result of the cold (according to my vet - I'm still not sure) and sadly passed away, so I'm very wary of the cold now.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:08 pm

still paranoid about the cold but i covered the hutch with bubble wrap. Gave them extra straw just in case and put in a warm towel too. Hubby thought i was mad going to check them in bath robe and pink plastic slippers. The thought did cross my mind to send him though. Both are fine been vacs ed today. Confirmation of sex they are both boys. Now i am seriously outnumbered.
Thankyou for all the advice.

Diane :lol!:

dianeh
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 pm

An old duvet wrapped under Tarpaulin is an excellent insulator. Also, if you get a covering of snow on your hutch, don't brush it off....snow is a great insulator too. Wink
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down