Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny with a drink problem

5 posters

Go down

Bunny with a drink problem Empty Bunny with a drink problem

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Actually, it isn't really a problem.

Felix seems to drink an inordinate amount of water. He can easily go through a whole dripper bottle in a day. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

He still has his sticky eye and when I get back from Berlin, he will be going to the vet for the snip and to have his teeth looked at.

He eats absolutely no problem. Can chew apple branches and eat pellets. Doesn't like hay, but I suspect he doesn't know what to do with it, and loves his veggies.

His jawline doesn't seem to be very bumpy and he doesn't mind it being touched. He is a lovely cuddly bun who loves you to pet and stroke him. I just wondered about the drinking.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Bunny with a drink problem Empty Re: Bunny with a drink problem

Post by senatorvass Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:33 am

I am not an expert (yet! Laughing ) but I would guess if he seems otherwise healthy and happy it is just that he enjoys his water.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by foxyfaerie Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:52 am

Does he pee as much as he drinks? If he's not peeing as much as he drinks (i.e. a fair bit) then it may be a problem.

foxyfaerie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 am

It depends if the water is coming out the other end as excessively as it is going in his mouth.

Is his litter tray constantly saturated, is he incontinent at all, are you sure the water bottle isn't leaking....

His watery eye could be an indication of dental issues from his tooth roots extending upwards, and dental bunnies do often exhibit signs of excessive water consumption.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Well we do think he has dental problems, but as I am due to go away this weekend and had my TKD championships last weekend, I haven't been able to book him in for his de-nadding. He will be going probably next weekend so they will check his teeth then while he is under GA.

He pees an awful lot. His tray is constantly soaked so I think what goes in is definitely coming out! I have checked the bottom of the hutch where the bottle is and it isn't wet at all so I doubt the bottle is leaking. I think he just drinks a lot, but just wondered. Hubbie made a joke about him being diabetic and I just wondered if it was something to be aware of.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:14 pm

I would definately mention his excessive drinking and weeing to the Vet before Bun goes under GA.
Polyuria/polydipsia can be a symptom of compromised renal or hepatic function and this would make a GA more of a risk if the Vet were unaware of the potential problem.
Has this Bunny had a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) ?
Is he maintaining his weight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:I would definately mention his excessive drinking and weeing to the Vet before Bun goes under GA.
Polyuria/polydipsia can be a symptom of compromised renal or hepatic function and this would make a GA more of a risk if the Vet were unaware of the potential problem.

This is what I was thinking along the lines of. It would be worth considering pre-op blood tests for liver & kidney function before he is put under a GA, especially if his weight and hydration levels are of concern. Last time I paid for a FBP it costs in the region of £40.00.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:45 pm

His spine is quite prominent and is noticeable when you stroke him. The vet looked at him when I first got him and said his weight was fine, although a little on the light side. He hasn't lost weight, but hasn't put any on either.

He is active, eats fine and seems in all other respects quite well. He hasn't had Panacur.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:48 pm

I have to say I have noticed reasonably prominant spines and muscle wastage on the rear legs of my liver debilitated bunnies. I really think it would be worth talking to your vet about the blood tests and getting him a good dental exam too.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:53 pm

I think that is what I will do. They had suggested just having a look when he was de-nadded so I thought it would be less stressful for him when he was under GA. Thanks to you and Jane for your advice. I'll speak to the vet when I get back.

Having said that he seems to be pretty active and can jump really well. He managed to escape out of his run with a couple of days and now has to be barricaded in. So I don't think that his muscles can be all that wasted. He springs into his hutch like a gazelle, especially when it's teatime. But better to be safe than sorry.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:07 pm

It's definately better to check it just incase.

The muscle wastage in my bunnies was when they were in the final stages, which meant a few weeks before they died. It will be hard to know at what stage he is....if it is hepatic or renal failure....without the blood results.

Good luck. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:19 pm

So glad that I posted this. It was just out of curiosity, but look where it has led. I never would have suspect that there was possibly anything wrong with him apart from his teeth. I'm hoping it might be nothing too serious, but am glad that I am forewarned.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:22 am

I hope all goes well for him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 pm