Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding advice needed

2 posters

Go down

Bonding advice needed Empty Bonding advice needed

Post by tigerbabe Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:52 pm

First of all I should probably say that I'm a total bonding coward Embarassed

I recently took 4 bunnies that were originally in 2 pairs over to Helen (The Duchess) to see if they could be bonded. It was a mix of 3 boys and 1 girl... I bet you're all thinking 3 boys will be a problem! Well they weren't, they all love each other to bits :luv:

The girl bun Willow was the problem, she was chasing / nipping Smudge & Jasper. After a week with Helen things calmed down and she stopped going for the boys, so we went and picked them up. When we got home they all went in one half of the shed (the size that each pair had originally) which had been cleaned and neutralised and all seemed calm. I went out the next morning and there was lots of fur, after watching for a while it turned out Willow was going for the boys again.
So I cleared everything out and set up the dog crate in the shed, they've been in there for a week now. Willow has been fine with her original partner Simon all through the process and she's now accepted Smudge although she does nip his bum very occasionally. But... she seems to have a problem with Jasper Hmmm She's still going for him, although it's happening less than it was. There haven't been any injuries, and we've not had any fur pulled for a few days now.

The boys are starting to get cabin fever especially Smudge, so last night I let the boys out for a run round the shed and had a cuddle with Willow. I should mention that when Willow arrived here she was the most terrifies bunny I've ever met, she's alot better now but still a nervous girl. She really doesn't like people Sad

She'll sit in a corner of the crate and if she see's any movement near her from the others she'll lunge forward... if it's Smudge or Simon she stops and just sits back again but with Jasper she generally chases him. Helen and myself felt that her problem was fear based and I still think that it was at the start but I'm not sure it still is.

Basically I'd like some opinions about the situation please Very Happy
Does it sound like it's worth keeping going etc

(P.S Helen has been great, and has been giving me advice and support Thumbs Up )
tigerbabe
tigerbabe
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Bonding advice needed Empty Re: Bonding advice needed

Post by senatorvass Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:56 pm

I am not a bonding expert by any means, but when I put my 2 pairs into a foursome, the 2 boys HATED each other. Out for blood. Really really hated each other and I very nearly gave up a million times. What sorted it out for them was strange. They had to move into a temporary small enclosure. The first 24 hours they bickered but nothing dangerous they just clearly wound each other up. After that, being forced to be in close proximity to each other seemed to make them mellow out tremendously. Now that they are in their large permanent enclosure I have a very happily bonded 4some!

This worked for us on a wing and a prayer after months of frustration. But obviously if they were a danger to each other I wouldnt have done it - and they had been a danger to each other in the past. Perhaps they just worked it out between them. Now Stardust is still clearly the dominant bun and Celeste has learned not to challenge that and they are fine.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerbabe Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 pm

That's the idea behind the dog crate... that she'll be forced to interact with him. It's a 4ft crate so I can't really go any smaller with 4 of them.

She's definately better than she was, we've had some quick nose to nose without nipping today - we've also had some nose to nose with nipping but it seems to be taking a little longer before the nipping.
Jasper is so good, he just moves away from her... yet he's still interested in being friends, I know I wouldn't be if someone kept biting my bum! Laughing
tigerbabe
tigerbabe
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: