Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten

3 posters

Go down

Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten Empty Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten

Post by DixieLuBun Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Hello at the minute I have Mum and her two daughters living together however one of the little big girlies is very quite compaired to the other and it's the bunster the vet told me to keep an eye on. Now the thing I am unsure of is do I keep her in with mum and sister or bring her inside to keep an eye on. I would hate to do the wrong thing and find out I have coursed undue stress and for her to either loose the kittens or get very down because she is on her own.

I have been quite lucky up to now with the bunsters that have come to live with me but if she is with kitten this will be the first time I have been in this situation. Any advise on how to deal with this situation would be greatly recieved. Thanking you all in advance.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten Empty Re: Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Did the vet tell you to keep an eye on her because he believed she might be pregnant or because of her quiet behaviour possibly hinting at a medical concern...
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten Empty Re: Advise Needed if New Foster Bun is with Kitten

Post by DixieLuBun Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Because a possibility of her being pregnant. She was found in a box with her sister and brother and don't know how long they had all lived together.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Personally I have always split possibly pregnant does out of a pair or group just incase, I would have thought any of these three could potentially be pregnant though...I suppose the only other option is checking several times a day and seperating out any which start to show signs of nesting & impending labour.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLuBun Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Sooz will keep a very close eye on her. Vet didn't think any of the other two were but will keep a eye on them as well. Still tempted to bring her in for monitoring she will go upstairs in Bryony's room she keeps it quite and will not let her friends in which is great. Will keep everyone updated if any news. But fingers crossed she isn't, or Charlotte will be getting a phone call with HELP.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:52 pm

If you werent to split them up, what would be the negatives? Is it worry about how the older buns will treat the babies?

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLuBun Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:19 pm

senatorvass wrote:If you werent to split them up, what would be the negatives? Is it worry about how the older buns will treat the babies?

Yes I think that is it. Never having been in this situation before I don't know what to do for the best. Mum seems to be taking more of an interest with this one little lady and stays near her. I caught her nose to nose when little lady was lying in the litter tray, there is no sign of nesting but I have been making sure there is plenty of greens to eat and fresh hay in the hay rack. I just don't know what to do confused
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

So is it not just other male rabbits that will potentially harm babies? I thought female rabbits would just let them get on with it. Wonder what they do in the wild? I mean does a pregnant doe go off on her own? But then they do want the kits away from the activity dont they. Sorry just thinking out loud.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum