Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please...

5 posters

Go down

Advice please... Empty Advice please...

Post by Dan Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 pm

I need some advice right we have dusty and archie in the house with us but on nice days they get the garden to run around in with Poppy, well Dusty gets the run of the garden Archie is a bit agraphobic and likes to stay indoors, Dusty did live in the garden befor we had Archie and then he came in the house so we had them both done so they could live together. The problem is we can not get Dusty litter trained he will use it but as soon as we let him out it's straight to a corner to have a pee and then come's the poo Mad this after a year of trying very hard not wonting to give up for Archies sake as they get on so well dear Archie was litter trained straight away with no real trouble. What we was thinking about is putting Dusty back outside and bringing Poppy in to live with archie What do you think?

Dont worry if he dose go out side he will have Jake for company.

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Advice please... Empty Re: Advice please...

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Personally I wouldn't split a bonded pair for any reason other than the pair not getting along as rabbits will grieve for a lost partner just as we would, having seen pining rabbits I have to say it's a heart rendering sight to behold.

I would also say it's quite rare for two bucks to get along well for life (though it does happen, I have had a male pair who loved each other) and just because Dusty gets on well with Archie it does not mean he will get on well with Jake (and Jake may not like other bucks full stop).

This may be way too basic but have you tried putting the litter tray in the corners he wants to use rather than expecting him to go where you decide he should?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 pm

I think im going to need a few more litter trys Rolling Eyes i really dont want to split them up they get on so great im just having bit of a blue day it normally dose not bother me he's my little boy and i dont care really i think after laying the new carpet im a bit tyerd and teasy ill go and give him a big hug in a min and tell him he will not be going out side ill get more litter try's Laughing i feel bad now for thinking this in the first place Sad

Sorry Dusty Hugs

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 pm

I know that feeling, believe me, sometimes I wish all my bunnies were outside as they drive me mad with the mess they create but deep down I know I would miss them in that situation.

I've always found letting them dictate where the litter trays goes is the best step towards litter training you can take, being (believe it or not Laughing) naturally clean animals they really would rather go in just one spot....although at this time of year some rabbits toilet etiquette goes out the window temporarily. Rolling Eyes
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:01 am

Wave I also wouldn't split them

When I have been litter training mine I have always used about four trays to begin with, just so they get the idea Very Happy And then whichever one they use the most, thats the one that stays Laughing All four of mine like their trays to be placed in different parts of whatever room they are in too Laughing x

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 am

I agree with Becky and Sooz - I really wouldn't split them unless you have to. Maybe separate litter trays is the answer? Truffles used to get a bit anal (no pun intended) about sharing with Tibbs sometimes. Never did figure out why Laughing

Extra litter trays around and putting them in corners where he likes to poo sounds a good idea. If it makes you feel any better, you can't litter tray guinea pigs, and I'm constantly finding poo in my kitchen. Shocked And that's why we don't eat garibaldis in my house Laughing
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Dont worry all im not seperting them i suffer from blue sindrome and it makes me feel very low for a week or so then ill be fine again they have both been for a health check and there mixy jab's today and the vet was very shocked that 2 boy's were living happy Shocked but it took a long time but as you say they are now inseperable i would never have done it just need to let some steam off. Ow yeah vet said 2 very happy healthy bunnys Very Happy

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Great news! It's always great when you can impress a vet Laughing

I don't know exactly what blue syndrome is, but I know that me and a few others round here get horrendously depressed at times. Feel free to vent any time - the rest of us do!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

KathyT wrote:Great news! It's always great when you can impress a vet Laughing

I don't know exactly what blue syndrome is, but I know that me and a few others round here get horrendously depressed at times. Feel free to vent any time - the rest of us do!

Yeah theres no such thing as blue syndrome it just sounds better than depression, im glad im not the only one to suffer Smile

Thanks Wink

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Hope you are having a less blue day Smile
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down