Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nesting

5 posters

Go down

Nesting Empty Nesting

Post by Anorle Wed May 06, 2009 8:46 am

Hi, I have two female rabbits and and since the spring has started they have been nesting. Which I would think is normal, so I waited for them to start to spend all there time in the bottom run before thinking they had finished so I could clean the top hutch out. I was wrong in this and they started again, now they are running out of fur. The long haired loop(Peppa) is no longer long hair, and my lion head(Shadow) has a bold patch. So could someone please give me some advise on this, like is this normal or is there something I can do or give them to help.
Thanks Anorle

Anorle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Nesting Empty Re: Nesting

Post by Jay Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Anorle, and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I have no experience with Does, but I'll point someone in your direction to help. Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Anorle Wed May 06, 2009 9:00 am

Thank you for answering, I have tried a number for forums and none of them like to talk to you. It fills me with a bit of confedence that this is the right one.
Thanks again Anorle

Anorle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed May 06, 2009 9:02 am

Hello there and welcome,

Everyone is really friendly here so glad you have found us!

Before two of our girlies were spayed they built themselves nests at this time of the year. I think the only thing you can do is leave the nest undisturbed until they lose interest in it. I left ours for about 10 days or so.

How old are your girls? Are you thinking of getting them spayed? This will stop the hormonal behaviour of nesting and phantom pregnancies that does are prone to. It will also prevent uterine cancer which does are prone to too.

As you can see I have a soft spot for lionheads, so I would love to see some piccies of your two
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Anorle my female is always nesting to the point she has had a bold belly and chin so what we do is at the first sighn of nesting is but nesting wool in and she uses that and not her fur most pet shops sell nesting wool as far as im awair hope this is of some help

Dan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Anorle and welcome to Happy Hoppers, we hope you will find lots of useful information and you can always ask for advice on here, everyone is very friendly and we all statred off by not knowing much at all, so please ask any questions you like

Your two girls, that is perfectly normal behaviour for little girls that haven't been neutered, I'm afraid that when the Spring arrives their hormones go into overdrive and they start nesting as it's their natural instinct, the more you clear them away the more they will rebuild them, usually when a female is spyed she won't nest build again and her hormones will die down making life a whole lot more pleasant for her

I don't want to sound like I am interogating you but how old are they, have they been neutered and do they live together?

Hope this is helpful
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Anorle Wed May 06, 2009 11:59 am

HI again
My 2 ladies came to me when my boss got a new relationship got his new family a pair of rabbits, and then found it wasn't a good idea. as it always goes. My 2 daurghters are now of a age that i feel that they are able to look after some themselfs i took the 2 fluffies onand they are doing very well. I myself had rabbits when i was a young lad and enjoyed caring for them ( played with them fed them and cleared them out) any problems and parents sorted that out. so a good running knowledge but with a few holes and a bit of catching up to do.
They are just less than a year old and I have had them since Sept 08. No they haven,t been neutered, so this is there frist season. yes they do live together and very well

Anorle
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Sounds like they were meant to be in such caring and capable hands Very Happy I hope the info helps, keep us updated, and if you can post pics of them, then we'd all be very happy to see them Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed May 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Anorle wrote:HI again
My 2 ladies came to me when my boss got a new relationship got his new family a pair of rabbits, and then found it wasn't a good idea. as it always goes. My 2 daurghters are now of a age that i feel that they are able to look after some themselfs i took the 2 fluffies onand they are doing very well. I myself had rabbits when i was a young lad and enjoyed caring for them ( played with them fed them and cleared them out) any problems and parents sorted that out. so a good running knowledge but with a few holes and a bit of catching up to do.
They are just less than a year old and I have had them since Sept 08. No they haven,t been neutered, so this is there frist season. yes they do live together and very well

Ah right, that explains some of their behaviour, if you don't mind me suggesting but I think they would be better off if they were neutered and will still live happily together, it also reduces the risk of uterine cancer which is quite high in females that havent been speyed, I had 5 in to the rescue last year with cancer

Hope this helps and please ask if you need anymore help
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down