Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nia at the vets.

+3
Becki
Snowy
Sixer
7 posters

Go down

Nia at the vets. Empty Nia at the vets.

Post by Sixer Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 am

Yesterday morning Nia didn't want her breakfast which is a bad sign as she is a little piglet.

I had to go to work so Louise and OH were despatched to the vets with instructions. Poor Nia had to wait over an hour to be seen as an emergency case came in. Nia saw my least favourite vet who diagnosed early stasis, gave her a metaclop jab, some metaclop to take home and fibreplex. He said a PK wasn't necessary Shocked Mad , Louise specifically asked this as our metacam is several months old, and told them to return on Monday if there was no improvement.

When I got home from work, I syringe fed Nia too and kept her in the conservatory to keep an eye on her. She seemed to enjoy the space without Gabe in tow, happily hopped around and then started to produce some miniscule poos. She then started to nibble at plantain and hay and then later tucked into her tea and supper.

This morning she has eaten her breakfast and there are masses of tiny poos in her hutch so hopefully she is on the mend.

Nia had had a VHD jab the day before this started, so I wonder if the stress of this or the jab itself (Lapinject) had caused her tummy to slow down scratch
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Nia at the vets. Empty Re: Nia at the vets.

Post by Snowy Sun May 10, 2009 10:49 am

So pleased to hear she is on the mend, phew! they are such a worry, I think it was to do with the VHD, I have had similar happen to a couple of my bunnies, I hate them having the vaccination but of course it's totally necessary, hope she continues to improve
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Poor little girl, Glad shes Okay now though Very Happy
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun May 10, 2009 10:15 pm

I had this with Gloria last week. It goes as quickly as it comes with her thankfully.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon May 11, 2009 12:21 am

Some bunnies do seem to go off-colour after their VHD vaccines (far more so than a Myxi) and a lack of appetite seems to be one of the side-effects. Unfortunately it seems to be a case of weighing up the lesser of two evils. I suppose Nia is perfectly healthy in every other way isn'st she confused
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Mon May 11, 2009 12:43 am

Glad to hear she is improving....it could be the vhd jab although I haven't heard of rabbits having probs with Lapinject..only with Cylap Hmmm

Give her a noserub from me x

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 am

Sooz wrote:Some bunnies do seem to go off-colour after their VHD vaccines (far more so than a Myxi) and a lack of appetite seems to be one of the side-effects. Unfortunately it seems to be a case of weighing up the lesser of two evils. I suppose Nia is perfectly healthy in every other way isn'st she confused

Nia, I think, is otherwise healthy apart from the slight edges on molars. Three diffferent vets have said there is no soreness to her tongue/cheeks and when she needed a dental in November she went from being a pig to refusing food overnight.

She is not attacking her food bowl with her usual gusto (apart from the favourite supper of redigrass, plantain and dried herbs) but Gabriel wasn't particularly interested either yesterday and the pair of them hardly touched their hay.

However, the hay has gone down overnight and masses of albeit small poos are present. I will be keeping a close watch on her Suspect
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 am

Vanessa, they just want to worry the heck out of you! Laughing , hope they are both OK
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 am

Gosh they are putting you through the mill at the mo V, I'm glad lovely Nia is back to pooping Smile Give her a cuddle from us x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down