Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needing help, but what, how....

5 posters

Go down

Needing help, but what, how.... Empty Needing help, but what, how....

Post by lopz Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Young Matisse and younger Cannelle got together happily on Saturday and have been living peacefully together since.
Today, as the days before, they were out in the garden in their pen. I left for school at 5:50 PM, thinking everything would be fine as the weather was nice and everything and everybody could wait for their vegs.
When I got home at 9:30 PM, I found a blood covered Cannelle in the arms of my husband.
It appeared that my son had wanted to get the buns inside and had found poor Cannelle wounded. She was bleeding heavily from under her eye and one ear. I called the vet, and we went straight on. Cannelle has stitches.
Coming home, I checked on Matisse and found he was bleeding from under his nose and his ear is torn at the edge (no stitching possible)

I can hardly believe they fought, being so happy together.

My husband said there was a stray cat in the garden that got chased away by our cats and dogs, but the vet said it's not likely the wounds are inflicted by a cat. But I think, Matisse was hit by a cat anyway (he has little wounds on the inside of his ear)

Cannelle is inside now, my husband said putting them together would be crazy.
Just as well I'm home all day tomorrow but I really don't know what to do and what to think.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Needing help, but what, how.... Empty Re: Needing help, but what, how....

Post by Sixer Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Oh no, what a distressing thing to happen.

I hope both buns are OK.

I wonder if the stray cat and/or chase panicked the bunnies and hence the fight. I am sure it possible to try and get them together again but it may be better to wait until Matisse has had the stitches out just in case.

I am sure members with more experience of bonding will offer more advice.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Christina, I have zilch experience with bonding buns, but I'm sre that other members will be along to help, it is a bit quiet in here today. Vibes for your two
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Oh gosh! they looked so happy together, something must have freaked them for this to happen, are they both neutered? and are they both boys?, I really hope their wounds heal well
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm assuming Canelle has not yet been neutered as she is still a youngster, if that is the case I would say they still have a chance of a happy bonding but I would wait until she has been speyed and both their wounds have recovered before attempting it again and monitoring them closely for the first few days.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Thu May 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Neither of them is neutered as they are indeed very young.
Matisse was bound to be neutered last week but due to medical problems this was postponed.
Cannelle is only 8 weeks old, and Matisse showed no signs of sexual interest of course.
She's in her cage now and he is running around and they seek contact, they show no signs of agression.
Should I wait to put them back together until he's neutered and she's a little older?
I never had problems with a male and female before
lopz
lopz
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Thu May 14, 2009 4:52 pm

lopz wrote:Neither of them is neutered as they are indeed very young.
Matisse was bound to be neutered last week but due to medical problems this was postponed.
Cannelle is only 8 weeks old, and Matisse showed no signs of sexual interest of course.
She's in her cage now and he is running around and they seek contact, they show no signs of agression.
Should I wait to put them back together until he's neutered and she's a little older?
I never had problems with a male and female before

Ah! I think that could be the problem, I would wait until they are both neutered and then I would rebond them, you could always put them in cages or runs next to each other so as they keep in contact but not so as they can do any damage, hope it works out for them
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm

UPDATE :

Wounds heal perfectly.
Cannelle is in a cage inside and in the morning I let Matisse lose in the room. He spends his day next to her cage, rubbing his chin ever so often and giving kisses through the bars.
There is absolutely no agression involved.
Tomorrow is the big day -> neutering.
Cannelle will not be neutered, I never had it done.
Will see how things will go in the near future
lopz
lopz
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum