Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!!

5 posters

Go down

HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!! Empty HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!!

Post by alex31702 Sat May 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Felix normal routine, get up get fed and then he gets to play out most of the day in his temporary run (still waiting for hubby to build his new one).

Was outside with him most of the day but nipped out to get things for bike trip tomorrow! Another story so will continue tomorrow. I was out on the patio fixing the new stuff to my bike, and I looked over to see what my little man was doing, and theres a neighbours cats sitting watchin him. My first thoughts, "OMG he's gonna hurt him" so I sat watching for a little while only to realise the cat was having much fun just watchin Felix playing. So next time I looks up, the cat has his paws through the run wires and is playing with Felix's toys! Felix was quite happy to leave the cat playing with them so I was happy at ignoring them. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Next time I looks up, the flamin cat is on the roof of the run and is trying to swipe at Felix. Felix was dodging the swipes and I could almost see him smiling thinking its never gonna catch me.

As much fun as it was, and the vision of me lunging at the cat with a bucket of water, I am now scared to death to leave Felix alone in the garden. This now means when we eat I am thinking I have to move him back to his hutch so that I know the cat wont be able to get him.

We have a cat of our own who seems more interested in the birds in the garden to realise we have got a bunny to play with, so if our own cat can leave him alone, why the hell cant the visiting cats!!!!

Any suggestions on how I can keep the cats away from him so that I don't have to keep disturbing Felix, he much prefers to be out on the grass than in his hutch.
When he gets his new run, I have asked hubby to build it with the fine mesh so the little blighters can't get their paws in, but what can I do for now????

alex31702
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!! Empty Re: HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!!

Post by NickieM Sat May 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Could you put a bit of solid material on the top of the run so that if the cat did get up on top, there would be an area where Felix could shelter and that cat couldn't be directly above him? Either that or buy some finer mesh and just recover the run so it was not possible for the cat to get its paw in.

Another option, would be to have a water spray and every time you see the cat in the garden, spray it. My FIL used to have a water spray that you pumped noisily and just the noise of it being pumped up scared the cats off.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by alex31702 Sat May 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks Nickie, Will head off in the morning to get some plastic sheeting to cover the top of his run. I am also considering a super soaker water pistol, that should keep him at bay!!

alex31702
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 am

Aw bless little Felix, trouble is when they are babies, they are bite size, I have to watch my wildie with the kitties. Soon he will be and strong enough to beat up any cat! The big rabbits rule the roost here and have my cats running scared haha!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 am

My favourite methods of keeping cats away from bunnies are lion poo (you can buy it in garden centres, it's called silent roar) and asking hubby to pee near the hutch. It's disgusting, I know, but it really does work.

If you don't want to try pee, lemon juice works quite well as well apparently.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by alex31702 Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Hmmmm could I imagine the conversation around the dinner table tonight. "Darling, any chance you could take a leek up by Felix please???"

I think I have solved it, I brought him a new hutch with built in run.

HELP!!!!! Bunny under attack!!!! Felix_10

What do you think, the flippin Cat can sit all he likes on the top of this but theres no way he's gonna get to him Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

alex31702
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:35 pm

[quote="alex31702"]Hmmmm could I imagine the conversation around the dinner table tonight. "Darling, any chance you could take a leek up by Felix please???"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

love the new hutch
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 am

I know, I know Embarassed But I get him to pee in the compost bin occasionally so I suppose it's only one step further on! Laughing

I love the new hutch - my chickens have something similar and it's pretty indestructible.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

I shouldn't think that al fresco peeing is a matter of embarrassment to men, my kids absolutely love a bit of fresh air widdling! I could hire them out to you for a heft charge, plus carriage and food while you have them. (Better do a big shop at Tesco!) Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by alex31702 Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Since the move in to Felix's new home (photos later) he has become very nippy and started to get very agressive when you went to get him out for a cuddle. I thought perhaps it was the cats freaking him out a little and also down to the thunder storm and very heavy rain we have had. Yesterday, I went in to get the little man out and have a good ol' talk to him. He was going beserk at me, stamping his feet and headbutting me out of his cage! I managed to fend him off and get him out and he was fine with all the cuddles, so I thought it must be the new house so he spent last night in the old hutch.
So off we headed this morning to hollybush, to get as many marigolds as possible.
We wondered around the plant section looking for them (my friend suggested cats hate the smell of them and they tend to avoid them) and in the end I asked the man, he suggested "scaredy cats", stinks really bad but he said people come back for it time and time again. Hey I will give anything ago if it keeps Felix happy. So we wondered on in to the pet section. I was listening to one lady talking to a customer about how to look after her rabbit she had just brought and she sounded like she knew what she was on about!
I told her about Felix and said I had just brought the plants to help him out. She said "sounds like he is about 12 weeks old" I was shocked and said yes how did you know that. She told me he has now reaced his sexual peak and has gone all territorial about his new house, he must love it lots. How guilty did I now feel putting Felix in his old hutch for the night!! She suggested getting him "done" and this should calm him down. I have already spoken to my vets when he went for his first jab and we have talked about when is the best time so he should be ready in 2 weeks time.

I can't believe I locked him away last night and kept him from his home! I looked in all the books I have and no where did it say that he might just be being territorial. Oh well, we live and learn eh!

He is now safe and happy back in his new house and hopefully when he is back from the vets and is no longer a boy bunny he will settle back down and be happier. Oh and while I was at hollybush, we got a new little friend. Hop on over to the hello section and see my new little girly!

alex31702
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down