Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stressed with Johns ...

4 posters

Go down

Stressed with Johns ... Empty Stressed with Johns ...

Post by proudmummy Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:19 am

Morning all ..

Following on my from funny post about him being a little **** and not going in hutch at night, joking apart, this week he has really stressed me out.

The other night it took me til 1am to get him in and the following night, I went out but was late because of trying to get him in his hutch. He used to trot in after I put food etc in for the night, having been out all day, but it now seems he just wants 100% freedom.

If he is in his hutch eating and saw me open the back door to come out and close his hutch door, he would happily stay there munching away, now he shoots out before I even reach the hutch, even if he is mid-munch. If he so much as hears me put the key in the door or open it and he is in hutch, he runs out! It is getting ridiculous. Three times he managed to escape last night.

I can't keep going through this. I won't leave him out overnight (although I felt like it at 1am the other night) because if anything happened I would feel awful but I can't keep running around after him. It is so stupid I have to pretend we all gone to bed just so he will go in by making the house all dark!

Reading this post I know I am half laughing and it is stupid but at same time, I can't be having this every night especially if I am due to go out. I am going out tomorrow night so would like to get him in hutch before I start getting ready - I don't want to be having a benny hill style chase round the garden! I love him to bits but this bedtime routine is doing my head in!

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Frustrated Bunny Mum HBWS Hissy
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Stressed with Johns ... Empty Re: Stressed with Johns ...

Post by jan Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:38 pm

The little devil. Laughing Is there anyway you could take his munchies out a little while befor so he knows that food is also coming at bedtime?
Laughing sorry but its the benny hill chase (maybe hes turned it into a game)
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm

I think you are going to have to limit him to a compound rather than letting him have complete freedom. That is the only way that you are going to be able to be able to get him in his hutch every night easily.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:49 pm

It does sound as if he's an expert at giving you the runaround!

I'd assumed Johns was a house bunny, so apologies if I've got that wrong - does he live outside?

I wonder if he would be more contented and biddable if he was neutered and had a companion? It sounds as if he's full of beans and loves to play and get his mum's attention! Smile He might calm down a lot if he was de-plummed and had company.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am

Hi all thanks for your replies.

Jan - yes was thinking of changing food routine. He usually trots in when I give him his evening food because he is hungry, however sometimes there is food left over so there is nothing to entice him in with. I guess I may have to give him a smaller portion lol as also he chomps on whatever he finds in the garden during the day!

Nickie - our garden isn't big enough for a compound as such but I do prefer he has the run around, despite how he is being lol. However I may have to think again if this carries on :p

Rosie - he is still to be neutered, when I can afford it! I don't think I could cope with another rabbit to be honest.. I would like him to have a companion, however I haven't got the time or the patience to do the bonding process which I know sounds awful but it is the truth at the mo.

On a positive side - the cheeky buns went straight in last night! I was tired and off to bed early at 9pm - he must have known as he played the game!
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:42 pm

proudmummy wrote:Rosie - he is still to be neutered, when I can afford it! I don't think I could cope with another rabbit to be honest.. I would like him to have a companion, however I haven't got the time or the patience to do the bonding process which I know sounds awful but it is the truth at the mo.
D'you know, the paradox is that 2 are probably much easier than one!! And rescues will bond for you if that's what you wanted to do.

I often wish we'd got Rosie sorted out with a companion. Long story ... but the last time she was booked in to go to Lynda for bonding, she took stasis on the day and had to be hospitalised at the vet; she was really poorly. Not long after that, she lost the sight in her other eye (she was already blind in one) and we now feel it would be too stressful for her to go to be bonded or start a life with a new partner.

I'm rambling, but my point is because she is on her own, I spend a huge amount of time with her every day (I'm at home all day, every day - don't have a life Laughing ) and she is perfectly happy and very chilled. But because single buns need much more human interaction and time spent with them, I know it would be easier for me (selfishly) to have 2 rather than one. I don't grudge it at all, and she's very closely bonded to me, but it is a big commitment.

Just wondered if it might be easier on you having a wifey bun for Johns Smile
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Hiya Helen, bless Rosie - her and Johns would be so good together Smile

I hear what you are saying and I would like a wifey for him in the future, but at the moment I just can't take another one on. He does seem quite happy although I guess his naughtiness may be boredom!

Its only taken Johns nearly a year to start interacting with us a bit more - I guess he'll be up for close huggles by 2010 lol
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down