Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stardust and Angel

+8
Josephine
Sixer
coco
Becki
NickieM
Tracyuk
jan
senatorvass
12 posters

Go down

Stardust and Angel Empty Stardust and Angel

Post by senatorvass Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm

I am at a loss what to say, I havent written this for days because I just cant process it.

We got Angel and Stardust from the RSPCA when they were just 8 weeks. Ironically for the RSPCA (as I know it is against their wishes) the woman who was fostering their Mum intentionally bred her to her own lop buck. She told me this conversationally after I signed the adoption papers, saying she felt the Mother needed to have a litter before being spayed. Sad I dont think I need to say how I felt about that statement and no I am not against all breeding but breeding within an RSPCA rescue seems ironic to say the least!

At any rate I had two tiny little babies. They had a huge indoor cage in our living room of our old house. Stardust couldnt work out how to jump out of it, he was that little and cautious. As he grew he turned into the most cantankerous, funny, cranky, sour, loving rabbits ever - he certainly learned to escape and he learned to box, much to Celeste's misfortune.

The two little devils quickly destroyed our house and then we moved - to a new house with a nice big garden. At the same time my dear friend adopted a rescued/abused wild rabbit who promptly gave birth. Her capturer had bred her to his rex, and the result was a litter of gorgeous rex/wild crosses. I took 2, Moonlight and Celeste, and we thought optimistically to bond them in the new garden.

Well the boys hated each other and Stardust was much the fiercer, more determined on. He quickly became leader of the pack with Celeste a VERY distant last and both girls flitting between the two but paying considerably more attention to SD. We went through various incarnations of housing for them, finally settling on a wonderful, huge enclosure which of course they promptly make 2 stories by adding a burrow! They all ticked along so nicely, I had no problems. No health problems, no bonding problems anymore. We fed them twice a day, took care of them, mucked them out, spent time with them. And just enjoyed them! Everyone who has ever been in our garden is gobsmacked at the enclosure, and how beautiful the 4 of them are.

Then a couple of weeks ago Matthew gave them breakfast then went to work. He sent me an email saying he thought SD must have got in a fight as he had a bloody cut above his eye which was swollen. I rushed out, my heart in my stomach and knew at once it was myxi. Then the torturous questions began, how can this have happened? They were vaccinated properly, I thought that made them safe (after the 10 day window just after the jab) SD went to the vet that day, and she confirmed it was the nodular type that only vaccinated buns got but that it looked really vicious. She said the other 3 looked like the healthiest buns she had seen in as long as she could remember, for which I was so grateful. She offered to put SD to sleep, or keep fighting for him, which I chose to do for nearly 2 weeks. He only got worse and worse. One day we knew he could not carry on. He was a shell of his former self. He'd been to the vets every few days and each visit he was worse.

We put him to sleep and I wept so hard. The other 3 were noticeably upset and quieter than usual but Angel took it the hardest. She wasnt hopping about so much and soon we realised she wasnt eating either. We brought her inside and syringe fed her apple juice. I kept her on my chest the whole night cuddling her. The next morning she was in the vets by 8:30. She was in stasis. The vets worked tirelessly on her the whole day, syringing her, palpitating her, everything they possibly could. At the end of the day just as Matthew arrived to check on her progress she collapsed and instantly died.

My grief is huge. The vet said she was pining and although she had a nodule she didnt die of myxi she died of stasis/grief. Moon and Celeste each have a nodule and Celeste has a red eye. I am looking after them as best I can & will take them to the vet tomorrow. They are hopping about loads and eating. The vet said if we can make it a month after Stardust first fell ill with them still in good(ish) condition we can breathe easier.

I am heartbroken and just dont know what to do with myself.

Stardust and Angel, I am sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry I couldnt protect you. I keep asking myself if someone else had adopted you maybe you would still be here. Maybe they would live in an area where myxi wouldnt be so strong. But then maybe they wouldnt have vaccinated them either. I will never know.

Angel couldnt live without Stardust. I have to live without them both. Binky Free bunnies, I love you, Matthew and Alex love you. Alex talks about you constantly too. We told him about the bridge.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Stardust and Angel Empty Re: Stardust and Angel

Post by jan Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 pm

So sorry
Sleeptight Stardust and Angel Crying or Very sad xx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 pm

thanks Hugs

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:36 pm

So sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace Stardust and Angel. Crying or Very sad
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 pm

I am stunned, I didn't realise that Angel had died too. I knew she was ill. Erin, I am so sorry for you. Hugs to you all and I hope the other buns pull through. It is just heartbreaking. Sad
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Oh Erin, I didnt realise Angel had gone to join her friend. Take comfort in the fact that they have each other, they wont be lonely up there - thats for sure. How very, very sad Crying or Very sad X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Erin, i am so sorry for your losses.... You are doing everything in your grasp that you can. Life is sh*t, and so is the man who created the horrible disease. I am so sorry...

Binky free little ones, you are both together and at peace. have fun at rainbow bridge xxxxxxx
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 pm

thank you everyone for the peace and comfort you are helping to give me. We are still reeling from it all and see the thread in infirmary about Moonlight & Celeste's prognosis.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:25 pm

I am so sorry Erin, so tragic. am thinking of you all.

Explore Rainbow Bridge together, Stardust and Angel xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:27 pm

thank you everyone Smile Hugs

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:15 pm

I am so sorry Erin that you have lost Stardust and Angel. It is really sad.
Sleep tight little ones. R.I.P.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 am

How lucky that they both came to spend their lives with you Erin, you gave them a wonderful environment, love, care and each other. Angel couldn't live without Stardust, so she took the formidable leap to the bridge to join him.

The errors of mankind sometimes make me feel utterly impotent and ashamed, and I'm so sorry that your two gorgeous buns were victims Sad
I'll miss hearing about them. Have fun at the bridge Stardust and Angel xx
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 am

So sorry Erin. I just can't believe it. They were both such beautiful bunnies too. Binky free sweet angels, x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:17 am

thank you very much. Its nice to know they were loved by others as well. Smile

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm so sorry to read your news Erin, it must have been an absolutely heartbreaking decision for you to make for them but I am sure it was the right one.

Binky Free beautiful bunnies. xx
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 am

I'm so sorry. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Its just heartbreaking.

Binky free together gorgeous buns xxxx
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 am

thanks very much x

senatorvass