Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccination Price Increases

+4
Jay
thumpersmum
jan
Happy Hoppers
8 posters

Go down

Vaccination Price Increases Empty Vaccination Price Increases

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Has anyone else seen a rise in their vaccine costs this year.....took Juno for her Myxi booster today and it's gone up by £2 per vaccine, so it's going to cost me an extra £48 per year for all the rabbits to be kept up to date. I'm now paying £17 for the Nobivac and the same for Lapinject (Cylap is also the same price).
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Vaccination Price Increases Empty Re: Vaccination Price Increases

Post by jan Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 pm

better start putting extra pennys away.where did you go.i slipped in at broomhill to get cat wormer a few weeks ago and it was really quiet 4 morning surgery
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:39 pm

It's Broomhill Jan, my other vets are really really expensive for bunny vax! It was quiet today actually, I was waiting for them to finish surgery but no-one else came in the whole hour I was there for (chinwagging Embarassed).
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I know someone said to me that vaccination prices had gone up, I've not paid much notice, but now I've got the 4 I suspect I will.

I took Sooty & sweep yesterday for their myxi and it was £13.84 each and VHD will be the same when we go back the same whether we have lapinject or cylap

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:44 pm

...might be quiet cos their charges have gone up... Suspect

I'm so glad you posted this, I just checked Berties vacc. card and he's 3 days Overdue on his Myx Vaccination Price Increases Smiley-faces-28...will get back to you re: charges Wink

** mumbles about being bad bunny daddy...Vaccination Price Increases H074 **
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm

I wouldn't panic too much if it's his 6 monthly one and it's just 3 days, I needed to move the trio's by 8 weeks to get maximum efficiency out of them... so they are well overdue. Embarassed
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 pm

I've not particularly noticed an increase. My local vets charge about £15 for both myxi and VHD (cylap) which I consider a good price but one vet didn't do a health check and I doubt whether she did the 10% bit of the vaccination as she should (just looked like one quick jab) Hmmm so I'm careful who I get to do the jab as it's not worth doing if not done properly.

Artie had a myxi jab today with FHB and it was £23. I wanted him to have a thorough examination by the bestest bunny vet I know as he had a major op back at Easter ... it would put the cost of vaccination up dramatically though to have 4 buns x 3 vaccines at so much higher cost. I saw todays as paying the exta £8 for a reassuring health check.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Four of mine are due Sad

Sooz, I am paying £20 for the Nobivac, so even with your price increase you are still better off than me Sad

The vets I use is only 5 mins drive away which is why I use them for vaccs. Maybe it is time I phoned around for prices elsewhere Hmmm seems I am paying more than most.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Anneke is really good with the 10% bit, it's really obvious she is doing it intradermally which is very reassuring. Generally though they only get a health check if I ask for one or for any known problems. With Juno, the whole thing is so bloody stressful for her (today she had to have a towel held over her head) that Anneke only touches her to give the injection.

Aferwards you would think we were best buddies the way she was huddled against my tummy pushing her head under my hand. Ha, she is such a little user. No

Davina at my other vets it's £30 PER vaccine Shocked
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Sooz wrote: (chinwagging Embarassed).

Laughing Laughing
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

I've just paid £17 for Nobivac, 6 months ago it was £14, so yup, quite a hike.

We also had a lady we've not seen before, but I've seen her there, so i think she's been there a while. I asked her before the jab if she was gonna do the intradermal bit, and she said she would although she also said it's very tricky to get right and she doesn't like doing it... I also asked if they were recommending 6 monthly MYxi top ups, and she said no, although she was very aware that the guidelines had changed, and that as a practice they were discussing it as optional with people with outdoor buns. I showed her the makers notes and suggested they should look at reviewing their policy, and she was absolutely fine about that.
She said that getting people to vaccinate once a year is quite a task, so getting them to vaccinate twice is off most people's radar, but we are no longer the only bunny owners there who do, so I guess the message is getting through.

I had an interesting chat with someone about Myxi this afternoon, a gamekeeper/groundsman, who said that the 2 times of year it's most virilant are spring and autumn. Spring because the mozzies/flies hatch, and autumn because when the straw is harvested, the ground is moved and dug and this disturbs them again. Simultaneously, this is when the bunnies go back underground, and the insect carriers also move underground, because of the cold, and infect the wild buns.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:25 pm

The Autumn & Spring thing is the reason I held my trio back this year so that their boosters are falling during those seasons. I reckon September and March are probably the best months to Myxi vaccinate in so that you have time for the two weeks immunity to build up but in theory, if the duration of immunity is established as 6 months it shouldn't make a huge deal of difference as long as they are boostered.

I can totally understand their reluctance at trying to persuade owners to myxi vaccinate biannually having heard how my vet was verbally berated for trying to put a rabbit with recurring snuffles on a 6 week course of Baytril, the previous vet only gave 7 days (hence why it was recurring), so the owner assumed Anneke was trying to rip them off. HBWS

Last edited by Sooz on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, I hate to say this but today I took 15 bunnies for myxo vaccinations and I have another 15 bunnies booked in next week and the remaining bunnies will be done the week after Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked , not looking at the costs anymore No No No
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Sooz wrote:so the owner assumed Anneke was trying to rip them off. HBWS

Anneke wouldn't have it in her heart.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 am

Sooz wrote:I can totally understand their reluctance at trying to persuade owners to myxi vaccinate biannually having heard how my vet was verbally berated for trying to put a rabbit with recurring snuffles on a 6 week course of Baytril, the previous vet only gave 7 days (hence why it was recurring), so the owner assumed Anneke was trying to rip them off. HBWS

yes, this is what she was insinuating, although she didn't put it in so many words. she said it was 'challenging' and sometimes met with animosity Sad
I have to say that in general, their costs are slightly below the average round here, so I would not assune that they were trying to rip people off, but then I've read the notes now. I guess if they showed them to bunny owners it would help.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:40 pm

My buns just had their myxi jabs today and Felix had his VHD.

The myxi was£14.19 (the same price it has been since Wolfie was neutered in May 2007 as he had his myxi at the same time).

Felix's VHD jab was £16.34. I don't know if that has gone up as I can't find any old receipts in my file.

My vet always recommends six-monthly vaccinations and commented when I was in that they had had a few cases of myxi just recently.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Snowy wrote:Well, I hate to say this but today I took 15 bunnies for myxo vaccinations and I have another 15 bunnies booked in next week and the remaining bunnies will be done the week after Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked , not looking at the costs anymore No No No

Wow Thea, having just wrestled three rabbits into boxes (one a makeshift box as I realised I only had one cat carrier) and been covered in fur at the vets, been scratched while turning the buns over so they could have a health check (Wolfie especially objected to having his bits looked at!), together with the sheer bother of carrying two boxes through doors etc. Fifteen rabbits to the vet!!!! I am soooo impressed. Thumbs Up
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down